J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They can’t address that issue. You legit can’t close that door. Same way Mahommes fits into the salary cap but makes double his salary on endorsements. NIL isn’t going anywhere this is just schools distributing some of the media dollars (potentially).
I already pointed out and linked the specific rule that addresses that issue in the NFL collective bargaining agreement, so it does exist. Mahomes is one of the most popular athletes in the world, so obviously his marketability is off the charts and is one of the most extreme examples one could think of. I don't think any of Mahomes marketing deals are inflated to keep him a member of the Chiefs, and I'm sure it would be hard to prove either way. However, if the backup linebacker is getting cut a 5 million dollar check to shoot one commercial that never airs for a local car dealership arbitration is going to find that's more than market value and count most of that pay against the cap.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I already pointed out and linked the specific rule that addresses that issue in the NFL collective bargaining agreement, so it does exist. Mahomes is one of the most popular athletes in the world, so obviously his marketability is off the charts and is one of the most extreme examples one could think of. I don't think any of Mahomes marketing deals are inflated to keep him a member of the Chiefs, and I'm sure it would be hard to prove either way. However, if the backup linebacker is getting cut a 5 million dollar check to shoot one commercial that never airs for a local car dealership arbitration is going to find that's more than market value and count most of that pay against the cap.
Has that ever been taken to court? Good luck proving someone’s value in the endorsement market. That’s just going to be one lawsuit after another

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Has that ever been taken to court? Good luck proving someone’s value in the endorsement market. That’s just going to be one lawsuit after another
The players union and the league agreed to it and agreed an arbitrator can make such decisions. Going to be pretty hard to try to sue after the fact.

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Another complication that has a major impact is taxes. If athletes are employees of the colleges and universities you create social security, medicare, minimum wage, unemployment, and whatever concerns for all athletes at all schools with scholarship athletic programs. Although a few schools like Michigan, Texas, etc. might be willing but I'd bet that even they would begin trimming back some of their non-revenue sports if they had to call athletes employees.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Another complication that has a major impact is taxes. If athletes are employees of the colleges and universities you create social security, medicare, minimum wage, unemployment, and whatever concerns for all athletes at all schools with scholarship athletic programs. Although a few schools like Michigan, Texas, etc. might be willing but I'd bet that even they would begin trimming back some of their non-revenue sports if they had to call athletes employees.
I've pointed this out numerous times, but universities have thousands of students that are employees. This is something they are used to dealing with. I held several different positions as an employee of ISU when I was an undergrad and grad student there.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yea. Feels like NIL value is so subjective. Whoever is paying the money can always say, "the investment was a risk, but we were banking on XYZ athlete being a future NFL/NBA athlete."

Caitlin Clark isn't the best example as I'm sure HyVee and State Farm probably feel like they have got value for her current status. But I am sure they are paying her NIL money based on future potential as well. No different than Nike with Jordan or Woods when they were 20 year olds.

IMO the only way NIL can maybe stop being pay-for-play is student-athletes being paid a salary based on a CBA. When all schools in a conference or division have the same rules for paying players, then maybe NIL becomes payment for marketing potential. Maybe

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
If its collectively bargained like it is in the NFL which is what is being suggested by the original poster then I don't think it would be a slam dunk court case. The players in this case would have agreed to the procedure beforehand.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Is this really an issue though? It's not like Universities of any size aren't used to a large payroll already. With the amount of employees most larger universities have, I don't think adding athletes would really be that big of a deal for them. At least when it comes to the basic HR/payroll stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: NorthCyd

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
That dude played alongside Wes Johnson, DG, and Craig Brackins. All three of those dudes played in the NBA and McDermott couldn’t even go .500 with that roster…

GM absolutely sucked. Horrible coach at ISU. Just couldn’t coach at the Big 12 level. We had the talent too. Some real boring/bad teams to watch.

Happy when he left, but unfortunately he figured out what to change immediately in philosophy at his next stint. Should have figured it out while he was at ISU.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I imagine it also gets very tricky on what the current players are receiving. In other words, how could you explain to certain individuals who on your roster that you are going to bring someone in and give them more. I personally would not want to be part of that conversation. Consequently, even if ISU could afford a player like Hadley, I would imagine that you have to consider what your current players are receiving.
Just look at Nijel Pack at Miami. The guy might've been the most sought after player in the portal when he left KSU. He had tons of offers, ended up at Miami where he supposedly got a king's ransom. And was he worth all that money? I think not.

Miami did go to The Elite 8 and Final 4 with him in '23 but that was on the strength of Isaiah Wong and Jordan Miller.

This season Miami crashed and burned; didn't even make the Tourney. And Pack's stats have dipped from his K-State days by almost 5 PPG.

I'd rather TL, CuJo, KG, & MM get the lion share of money over Hadley. And D Jackson and what he brings is more of a need than Hadley too. Obviously we got him, which is great.

Last edited:

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Just look at Nijel Pack at Miami. The guy might've been the most sought after player in the portal when he left KSU. He had tons of offers, ended up at Miami where he supposedly got a king's ransom. And was he worth all that money? I think not.

Miami did go to The Elite 8 with him in '23 but that was on the strength of Isaiah Wong and Jordan Miller.

This season Miami crashed and burned; didn't even make the Tourney. And Pack's stats have dipped from his K-State days by almost 5 PPG.

I'd rather TL, CuJo, KG, & MM get the lion share of money over Hadley. And D Jackson and what he brings is more of a need than Hadley too. Obviously we got him, which is great.
They went to the Final Four and shared an ACC title last year but your point remains. Was it worth it? Probably not but to Miami boosters maybe?

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
People need to completely lose this notion that players becoming employees or instituting a salary cap will solve a single thing. The only thing it does is makes sure every player gets a little of something - and schools like Iowa State have less disposable funds.

In reality, NIL is completely considered as equal to endorsements. Salary caps and salaries have absolutely no relation to how much endorsement money an NBA, NFL, MLB player can make on the side. There will NEVER be limits on NIL or endorsements, every court in America would throw it out without a hearing.
The salary cap is instituted on the team, not the player. It’s what makes NFL competitive.

I’m not saying it can realistically happen, but a return to some semblance of regional rivalries. And a balance of the reality that recognizes college sports produces revenue so players get a cut and amateur, collegiate sports.

If not we’re just watching JV professional teams with historic powers able to stack higher mounds.

It will have to be driven to protect player interests. But it’s possible. Title IX and NIL are examples of that.

Reactions: CYDJ

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
They can’t address that issue. You legit can’t close that door. Same way Mahommes fits into the salary cap but makes double his salary on endorsements. NIL isn’t going anywhere this is just schools distributing some of the media dollars (potentially).

He is right on that in regards to a “salary cap” won’t fix any of the issues with NIL. It’s actually just going to make things way worse for the non P2 schools.
Mahomes wouldn’t lose out on a single national endorsement if he was traded to the Colts.

Is the player profiting off *their NIL* or being invested in by branded institutions to continue to propagate *the Univ NIL*?

There are a few where it’s truly the former and smaller instances where players get some local endorsement deals, but I’d say majority is the latter.

Which was going on behind the scenes for years, but still feel that that portion of NIL can/should be more regulated.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Never be able to regulate this. Rich donors will always find a way to get money to an athlete on way or another. Friend of mine was roommates with Pedo State kicker. Made the winning kick and was asked to stop bye a party of donors after the game. 100+ dollar handshakes from everyone there and he walked out with $1500-3000 I can't remember.