Kade Blume

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Again, if they feel like they are afraid of a civil suit and they feel like they have no power, resign.

I mean this sincerely I don't care how much my kid loved wrestling (and I have two kids in youth wrestling now) if there was a kid on his team who did this and faced zero consequences he wouldn't be on that team. If he wanted to continue to wrestle he could do club wrestling or he could enroll in another school.

According to TrackWrestling, Blume competed in a couple state/national tourneys over the summer and fall. Not sure if he’s still part of Sebolt or if he competed on his own.

Reactions: Ankency

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not excusing the schools or personnel in the schools as I agree these acts of violence/harassments/assault are absolutely horrific and deserve punishment....that being said I think schools are just so hamstrung anymore. My wife teaches at a middle school and she often feels helpless and powerless. Everything is a lawsuit waiting to happen. If kids act out, they are often larger than her and they don't give one damn about getting in trouble on top of very little support/structure at home. The best she can do is get her admin or other teachers to come in and somehow help defuse the student or take him/her away from the classroom. I realize this is more of a systemic issue and not exactly the situation we're seeing at R-S just more of a general observation.

When I was a kid and got in trouble at school even something minor, I was scared to death the teachers would tell my parents. The thought of them enabling or helping me weasel out of situations never crossed my mind.

If I'm the R-S AD, I would absolutely tell the kid he's not wrestling this year and he has to do a large list of community service, punishments ect ect if he wants a shot to wrestle his senior year. I would take a hard stance even if there are lawsuits coming. At the worst you're telling the community you are standing up for what is right. Of course easier said that done.

What you're talking about with your wife is a shame too, but the big difference is that we say kids have a right to an education. They don't have a right to be part of a wrestling team. The situation with your wife is difficult but at least I can understand why.

As to your last sentence, of course it's easier said than done. Put if you put yourself in a leadership position, IMO you're agreeing to do the hard thing even if it's right. Every damn one of the adults in this situation is a coward. Every one. And if I'm ever coaching a team where something truly awful like this happens and I just go along to get along, I'd be a damn coward too.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What you're talking about with your wife is a shame too, but the big difference is that we say kids have a right to an education. They don't have a right to be part of a wrestling team. The situation with your wife is difficult but at least I can understand why.

As to your last sentence, of course it's easier said than done. Put if you put yourself in a leadership position, IMO you're agreeing to do the hard thing even if it's right. Every damn one of the adults in this situation is a coward. Every one. And if I'm ever coaching a team where something truly awful like this happens and I just go along to get along, I'd be a damn coward too.
Two things:

1) I agree with the part where the coaches, admins and all should be canned for letting this kid wrestle. I don't know their school policy but I would be looking at ways to expel the kid from my school if I was an admin at it. Not what I want festering at my school if I was.

2) The parents are probably the biggest cowards, they apparently raised a kid to believe that this crap is alright. This is the biggest problem of everything most of the time. Teachers are considered to be in a leadership role. I can't tell you how many calls I used to take (when cell phone numbers weren't given out or facebook contacts weren't common) from parents and I could overhear how the parents always blamed "the other kid" and their kid did nothing. Hate to break it, but ALL kids lie. Some more than others and some will just lie by not giving all information or twisting it just a smidge. When my kid got in trouble at school, they were punished. They knew that punishment at home was worse than the schools and all I needed was contact from the school, so it kept them in check for the most part. I didn't beat my kid, but grounding, taking away things they can do and other things isn't not hurting the kid. It does make it harder since I would have to run the kid to school if they lost their vehicle for a bit, but the embarrassment the kid got by dad dropping them off only needed once to have that threat carry a lot of water.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Two things:

1) I agree with the part where the coaches, admins and all should be canned for letting this kid wrestle. I don't know their school policy but I would be looking at ways to expel the kid from my school if I was an admin at it. Not what I want festering at my school if I was.

2) The parents are probably the biggest cowards, they apparently raised a kid to believe that this crap is alright. This is the biggest problem of everything most of the time. Teachers are considered to be in a leadership role. I can't tell you how many calls I used to take (when cell phone numbers weren't given out or facebook contacts weren't common) from parents and I could overhear how the parents always blamed "the other kid" and their kid did nothing. Hate to break it, but ALL kids lie. Some more than others and some will just lie by not giving all information or twisting it just a smidge. When my kid got in trouble at school, they were punished. They knew that punishment at home was worse than the schools and all I needed was contact from the school, so it kept them in check for the most part. I didn't beat my kid, but grounding, taking away things they can do and other things isn't not hurting the kid. It does make it harder since I would have to run the kid to school if they lost their vehicle for a bit, but the embarrassment the kid got by dad dropping them off only needed once to have that threat carry a lot of water.

Good points and I don't disagree at all.

Reactions: BCClone

GrayerClone

Feb 11, 2010
Central Iowa
WHO TV has a story saying 1 school board member has resigned immediately. I would love to know who knew what, when? The whole decision making process on this situation seems very poor.

Reactions: neiacy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
WHO TV has a story saying 1 school board member has resigned immediately. I would love to know who knew what, when? The whole decision making process on this situation seems very poor.

Nothing but deep respect for Jasmine Goeders. Tough stand to take as we discussed earlier but it's the right one if everyone is just going to sit on their hands.

Previous story:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So, to be clear, there are parents wanting this kid to remain on the wrestling team?
Yes, and I have a buddy who is a wrestling honk. He emailed the IHSSA and said they cant do anything. He also told me the cheerleaders have to cheer for him or quit. My buddy has kids who wrestle for Nevada and this isnt going well for RS. People are pissed off.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So, to be clear, there are parents wanting this kid to remain on the wrestling team?
Have you met wrestling people before?

This isn't surprising in the least bit. And I'm not saying everyone who's into wrestling is this way, but some of the most disgusting displays of poor sportsmanship and public treatment of children I saw growing up was at the little kid wrestling meets I had to attend (because my brother wrestled) in north Iowa/southern Minnesota as a kid.

There are a whole lot of people who give 0 ***** as long as you win. It's why Hugh Freeze is coaching at Auburn. Lowering the level doesn't really change how people are willing to let **** slide for a winner.

Last edited:

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Yes, and I have a buddy who is a wrestling honk. He emailed the IHSSA and said they cant do anything. He also told me the cheerleaders have to cheer for him or quit. My buddy has kids who wrestle for Nevada and this isnt going well for RS. People are pissed off.
JFC, so your buddy wants him to continue wrestling? What for? Your buddy has a dog in this hunt?

I am sure this Kade kid’s parents are ok with him wrestling too.

At least RS isn’t hosting a drag show or allowing trans kids into sports because that is sexually disgusting. Forcibly shoving a pencil up another kid is ok though because they aren’t gay/trans.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
JFC, so your buddy wants him to continue wrestling? What for? Your buddy has a dog in this hunt?

I am sure this Kade kid’s parents are ok with him wrestling too.

At least RS isn’t hosting a drag show or allowing trans kids into sports because that is sexually disgusting. Forcibly shoving a pencil up another kid is ok though because they aren’t gay/trans.

What? My buddy does not want to see him wrestling again. Many other people around here feel the same way. I dont know how you came up with that, and what does this have to do with a drag show or trans kids? WTF

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What? My buddy does not want to see him wrestling again. Many other people around here feel the same way. I dont know how you came up with that, and what does this have to do with a drag show or trans kids? WTF
I think he's saying that the people who are convinced that drag shows are going on in elementary schools are the same ones who think shoving a pencil up a kid's ass hole is totally fine if the kid doing it is good at sports are the same people.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

I misunderstood your post about your buddy. I thought he was writing in support of the wrestler. My apologies.

The last part wasn't aimed at you just those in support of Kade and how the school isn't doing anything.

Reactions: Cy Dolla Sign

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I misunderstood your post about your buddy. I thought he was writing in support of the wrestler. My apologies.

The last part wasn't aimed at you just those in support of Kade and how the school isn't doing anything.

Fair enough context on a message board can be hard to read. Simply he should be expelled and not wrestling.

Reactions: BigTurk

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think he's saying that the people who are convinced that drag shows are going on in elementary schools are the same ones who think shoving a pencil up a kid's ass hole is totally fine if the kid doing it is good at sports are the same people.

Couldn't agree more, Story City is in a battle over this.

Reactions: Cy Dolla Sign
Status
Not open for further replies.