hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Most ppl have probably figured this out but I just recently found the "Podcasts" App on my phone. Now all the podcasts download automatically to my phone for easy listening. Des Moines sports radio has taken a dive so I like to listen while in the car. I also love the shorter articles, Monday Musings is my favorite. I do not watch videos. Keep up the great work!

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
i like the podcasts. Especially the ones when you breakdown ISU opponent. You actually put time and effort into it and you can tell, unlike other hack bloggers

I second this point. Not sure about everyone else, but I like hearing about other big 12 news from a Cyclone angle. This type of article is similar except you are focusing on one team at a time and how it impacts ISU.

I enjoy the podcasts, listen to videos, and read the blogs. Longer articles are hit or miss for me.

Anyway you can put an auto-temporary-ban on tired, overused cyclone fanatic cliches (pretty much any post mentioning "out of gas" or "starzzz")? I almost wanted to cut my hand off for typing those words...

Edit: Add "coupons" to the list...Maybe I am just getting crotchety as I age...

Last edited:

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I'm a fan of the podcast. One a week is good. With that, the more former cyclones you can get on the podcast, the better. I love the stories.

I like the written content from all of the contributors. I don't really watch the videos.

It would be interesting to have some "in-depth" article on some of the Olympic sports once in a while, just to balance out the football/basketball side of things.

I'd love to have a Cyclone Fanatic app again. It makes taking a deuce a lot more entertaining, and the mobile browser version just isn't the same.

As for the other poster who commented on wanting more photos - how about a weekly photo contest among the fanatics during football/volleybally/basketball/wrestling seasons? I think that would be kind of cool.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I’ve often wondered how much of a “role” the non-Iowa State related content should play on this board. A quick survey of active threads seems to show a pretty even split between Iowa State sports related threads and threads involving other topics. While I’m not entirely sure how I come down on this, as this is first and foremost an Iowa State site, I do also come here to discuss news events, pro-sports, etc. Perhaps a way I can see this being utilized is through CF’s twitter account, by putting on twitter what threads are trending right now.

I just feel there is a lot of untapped potential for people who are maybe more casual Iowa State fans but appreciate a place to discuss current events, pro teams, etc.

As long as it's not done in a way like LandThieves's twitter account that turns into a giant list of every thread topic at that exact moment. I definitely start unfollowing twitter accounts once they start polluting my feed.

Last edited:

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Honestly, keep doing what you are doing. I come to this site probably close to 50 times a day when I have nothing going on and/or am bored at work. This site keeps me sane...most of the time. Keep up the good work CW and Co.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Written over video, definitely. I like the mix of quick-hitters, daily jottings with 2-3 long features a week.

Podcasts are great because I can let them go in the background and do other things. Love the podcasts. It's awesome to just listen two a couple of insightful Cyclone fanatics talking about ISU stuff.

Keep it up CW, you rock.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
In all honesty, for me I have it bookmarked straight to forums, so I never see any of the content developed. I think I may be more prone to taking some of it in if the thread made about new content was stickied on the main page so it doesn't fall so fast off the first page.

edit: I'll also add that I come here more for the social aspect, boredom at work, so I enjoy more of the off topic conversations. I wouldn't consider myself one who is looking for in depth breakdowns, etc.

Last edited:

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I agree with keep doing what you are doing. I prefer reading content over videos just because I usually don't have time to watch them at home and can't access them at work. Podcasts aren't bad, because I can listen to them while I am working as well. I have driven and listened to them as well, but not to often.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Chris,

I listen to the podcast. Less chit chat and less non ISU content would be nice, being shorter makes it easier to find the time ot listen to.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Videos: Cant watch at work, most people use the site at work or on phone. Opinion articles are best. People come here to voice opinion and argue others opinion. Photos would be cool, there are a ton of photographers that would love to have a press pass to be on the field and I would assume they will share the photos with the site for free.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Didn't have time to read through everything, so sorry if mentioned previously....

1. If you took all the audio from the videos and just threw them into a couple of rough podcasts, I'd listen to all the interviews.

2. Adam Gray is #2 and right behind Cousin Sal on my "favorite podcast guest" list. Blum is like 6th-ish, sorry Brent.

So I guess what I'm asking is, can we get Cousin Sal on to pick lines and talk about ISU?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Chris,

I listen to the podcast. Less chit chat and less non ISU content would be nice, being shorter makes it easier to find the time ot listen to.

I've seen other people make this comment and I guess I just don't get it. If you make the podcasts too short or too specifically focused, you might as well just have CW read his columns and blog posts verbatim. The podcast aren't ever providing new information, and if you read the columns you probably already know most of the opinions CW will touch on as well, so if you don't have time to listen, it's not like you're missing out. To me, the best podcasts feel like eavesdropping on an organic conversation between entertaining or knowledgeable people. To make it any shorter or eliminate all the tangents would ruin that.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Didn't have time to read through everything, so sorry if mentioned previously....
1. If you took all the audio from the videos and just threw them into a couple of rough podcasts, I'd listen to all the interviews.
2. Adam Gray is #2 and right behind Cousin Sal on my "favorite podcast guest" list. Blum is like 6th-ish, sorry Brent.
I can't stand Cousin Sal. I basically have to stop listening to the BS Report during NFL season because those betting line shows bore me to tears.