Marathon Runners Thread

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
After a long hiatus I started running about a year ago and have signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon in October. Right now I'm just building up mileage and trying to shed about 10 pounds until June when I start training. The last time I did this I followed a Hal Higdon training program. My question to anyone in the know is... What other training programs are out there that you've tried and liked.?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I've only run half marathons and will continue unless I find myself with more free time. I may not be allowed in this thread since I'm not a full marathon runner.

I've used Hal Higdon for my half training and would likely do the same if I were to try a full marathon.

My question for you: With the amount of training required, do you find that you lose a lot of your social life?

• Disagree
Reactions: cyclones360

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I am injured and unable to run anymore but the only piece of advice is do some speed training. My neighbor and I did like 5 mile speed days every other week. It made a world of difference...

Suggested speed workouts:
1) Run two sets of 6 x 400 at 5K pace; jog a 200 for recovery. Take 4 minutes recovery between sets.
2) Run 6-8 x 800 at 10K pace; jog a 200 for recovery.
3) Mile Repeats: 4 x 1 mile at 30 to 45 seconds faster than your goal race pace. Take 3 minutes recovery between mile repeats. Do these on the road, not the track.

Suggested guidelines for speed work:
1) For mile repeats, use 30 to 45 seconds per mile faster than your goal marathon race pace. For track intervals less than one mile, try a pace of 60 to 75 seconds per mile faster than your goal marathon race pace.
2) Use a consistent pace. No more than a 5-second variance in mile repeats or intervals.
3) Track workouts should be no longer than 5 total miles. For longer workouts, use the road.
4) Do mile repeats or 800s during or after higher mileage weeks
5) Do the 400s workout following shorter or cut back mileage weeks

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
I've only run half marathons and will continue unless I find myself with more free time. I may not be allowed in this thread since I'm not a full marathon runner.

I've used Hal Higdon for my half training and would likely do the same if I were to try a full marathon.

My question for you: With the amount of training required, do you find that you lose a lot of your social life?
Ha, I was going to add 1/2 marathon to the title. The last time I trained it didn't seem like the social life suffered. I just didn't drink as much beer on Friday and Saturday nights before the long runs. But I've always been a morning person and do my runs early in the morning

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Ha, I was going to add 1/2 marathon to the title. The last time I trained it didn't seem like the social life suffered. I just didn't drink as much beer on Friday and Saturday nights before the long runs. But I've always been a morning person and do my runs early in the morning
That makes sense. I can't do waking up early enough to run 5-10 miles before going into work three times a week. If I win the lottery and can quit working a full marathon is something I want to do though.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyclones360

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If you want some motivation - this guy went from a 300 pound exterminator to a Navy Seal/ultra marathoner. Also holds the record for most pull-ups in 24 hours.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That makes sense. I can't do waking up early enough to run 5-10 miles before going into work three times a week. If I win the lottery and can quit working a full marathon is something I want to do though.

You rarely go over 4-6 during the week. You save the double digits for the weekend. That builds your endurance and preserves your knees and ankles.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Agree on the morning, especially if the run will be in the summer. Long runs after work in the summer are killers...just too hot and humid to get in quality LR's. Much easier to get that 10 mile (20 mile if a marathon) long run at 5:00 AM than 5:00 PM. Now speed workouts...you can definitely do those in the late afternoon/evening if that works for your schedule better.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
I am injured and unable to run anymore but the only piece of advice is do some speed training. My neighbor and I did like 5 mile speed days every other week. It made a world of difference...

Suggested speed workouts:
1) Run two sets of 6 x 400 at 5K pace; jog a 200 for recovery. Take 4 minutes recovery between sets.
2) Run 6-8 x 800 at 10K pace; jog a 200 for recovery.
3) Mile Repeats: 4 x 1 mile at 30 to 45 seconds faster than your goal race pace. Take 3 minutes recovery between mile repeats. Do these on the road, not the track.

Suggested guidelines for speed work:
1) For mile repeats, use 30 to 45 seconds per mile faster than your goal marathon race pace. For track intervals less than one mile, try a pace of 60 to 75 seconds per mile faster than your goal marathon race pace.
2) Use a consistent pace. No more than a 5-second variance in mile repeats or intervals.
3) Track workouts should be no longer than 5 total miles. For longer workouts, use the road.
4) Do mile repeats or 800s during or after higher mileage weeks
5) Do the 400s workout following shorter or cut back mileage weeks
Thanks, Higdon doesn't elaborate much on the details of speed work. It helps to see it written down.

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I've ran 11 marathons including Boston and I've used the Hanson Marathon Method for all but my first (which was a complete bonk using something similar to Higdon's). I highly recommend it.

Edit: link to Amazon won't work so just search

Reactions: RedDog

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I've ran 11 marathons including Boston and I've used the Hanson Marathon Method for all but my first (which was a complete bonk using something similar to Higdon's). I highly recommend it.

That's what I used. I crushed my previous best half-marathon time (in a marathon, no less) with it. Unfortunately, I didn't adjust for race conditions (t-storms, windy, soaked shoes) and faltered at the end.

If I was to get back into it, I'd probably do that method again.

Reactions: 1100011CS

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014

This program fits my lifestyle and I think I'll buy the book. Thanks.

Edit for a question: There is basically no taper, did your legs feel fresh race day?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This program fits my lifestyle and I think I'll buy the book. Thanks.

Edit for a question: There is basically no taper, did your legs feel fresh race day?
There is definitely a taper. It is just relative to what you've been running. And yes, legs feel fresh and strong. Actually, my biggest issue on race day is going out too fast because it feels too easy. You will feel like you have to force yourself to run slow.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Tell you what there is nothing like waking up at 5:00am on your taper and thinking it is only 12 miles today. It feels like a 5K, your done showered and sipping a coffee in less than 2 hours.

I hear what you're saying but I still hate running in the morning. I do 90% of my runs over lunch. Although, I work from home so have a flexible schedule.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I hear what you're saying but I still hate running in the morning. I do 90% of my runs over lunch. Although, I work from home so have a flexible schedule.

Once you try and do a 18 miler when it is 90+ degrees, massive humidity and your carrying water or Gatorade it will get easier to be a morning person.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Once you try and do a 18 miler when it is 90+ degrees, massive humidity and your carrying water or Gatorade it will get easier to be a morning person.

Yep, living in Houston forced the morning running upon me. Now, with a pregnant wife and a 3 year old, it has become one of the few "me" times that I have left.

Reactions: Cyfan1965

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron