Marathon Runners Thread

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Forgot to ask early this week if anyone was training for a spring marathon?

Started training for mine today. Running Grandmas Marathon in June! Trying the 2Q program from Jack Daniels so will see how adding some speed work affects my time.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe

Started training for mine today. Running Grandmas Marathon in June! Trying the 2Q program from Jack Daniels so will see how adding some speed work affects my time.
Also running Grandmas in June (first time) and looking forward to it.

Began training about 8 weeks ago. Got Covid which slowed my training early on, but now back on schedule with training program. Will run Rock the Parkway half in KC in April.

Reactions: interrobang

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Also running Grandmas in June (first time) and looking forward to it.

Began training about 8 weeks ago. Got Covid which slowed my training early on, but now back on schedule with training program. Will run Rock the Parkway half in KC in April.
It looks pretty flat at least! Will be my first time running that one as well.

And yeah stay in half marathon shape year round or try to at least. So figured an 18 week program would work. Tough doing running though with snow and ice.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
It looks pretty flat at least! Will be my first time running that one as well.

And yeah stay in half marathon shape year round or try to at least. So figured an 18 week program would work. Tough doing running though with snow and ice.
Grandma's is mostly downhill from what I recall. It is a fun one but make sure to get you hotel reserved early. I had to stay about an hour away. Also, make sure to visit the original Grandma's Saloon.

Reactions: interrobang

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

I had some knee pain before, during and after the IMT Des Moines marathon last fall. Finally went to the doctor last week and found out I have two meniscus tears. So, won't be running any this Spring but hopefully get a couple in the Fall.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Grandma's is mostly downhill from what I recall. It is a fun one but make sure to get you hotel reserved early. I had to stay about an hour away. Also, make sure to visit the original Grandma's Saloon.
Yeah got my hotel before I signed up even. Not a lot of options I saw up that way!

And oh sorry to hear about your knee! How long does that take to heal/recover usually? Can you even bike with that?

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Doing Colorado Marathon in Fort Collings May 5 - hitting the grind phase now.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Try yoga. I sit a lot for work and once in a while my back starts bothering (which can also be hamstring tightness). I do yoga for a couple weeks and it always gets better.
I would second this.

I am an older runner - in my 60s. I never ran for running's sake until the last few years - always used it training for other sports. I started doing yoga regularly and it has completely changed my relationship with running. My lower body feels better than it ever has.

Reactions: 1100011CS

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Yeah got my hotel before I signed up even. Not a lot of options I saw up that way!

And oh sorry to hear about your knee! How long does that take to heal/recover usually? Can you even bike with that?
I haven't gotten in to see the orthopedic doctor yet. Yes, I could bike but I'm just being lazy right now:cool:

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
I haven't gotten in to see the orthopedic doctor yet. Yes, I could bike but I'm just being lazy right now:cool:
Biking sucks in the winter anyways. I don't understand how some do that on ice and snow. Will run year round outside, but biking stops at like 50 degrees haha.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Not sure how many of you are trail runners as well, but didn't want to create a new post about it. The Barkley Marathon is going on currently, with 7 runners on the final lap! Jasmin Paris is attempting to become the first woman finisher, already set the fun run record for the event. They have till ~4pm today to finish the final lap.

Reactions: Messi

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron