Marathon Runners Thread

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Bumping this thread again! Anyone have any upcoming spring marathons/races? Or signed up for any in the fall? Just half marathons for me so far. Dam to DSM the first one for me this year. And doing another vacation race, this time in Glacier National Park.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Bumping this thread again! Anyone have any upcoming spring marathons/races? Or signed up for any in the fall? Just half marathons for me so far. Dam to DSM the first one for me this year. And doing another vacation race, this time in Glacier National Park.
I've had a ****** winter so probably no marathons this spring. Probably do Dam to DSM. Glacier sounds interesting. When is that? Does it have a lot of elevation changes?

Reactions: interrobang

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Running my first Boston next week. Nervous excited

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
I've had a ****** winter so probably no marathons this spring. Probably do Dam to DSM. Glacier sounds interesting. When is that? Does it have a lot of elevation changes?
Yeah not sure if I will ever do a spring marathon, just hard to train for here in Iowa. And it is the 24th of June. Did the one in Yellowstone last year! Had a fun time so probably will keep doing them. https://vacationraces.com/ is who puts them on. There is about 1200ft of elevation gain, and start at 5000 ft. So not crazy, but won't be setting a PR out there I am sure!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Awesome. I'm sure you've heard it before but don't be fooled by the first several miles. If you think you're running slow enough, run even slower. It was around 70 degrees at the start line when I ran and I got caught up in the crowd and went out way too fast. Bonked on Boylston street with thousands of people screaming at me:) Still managed a BQ but it was painful and spent an hour in the med tent.

Oh, also... get in line for the porta potties as soon as you get to the athlete village. It's a mad house.

Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Awesome. I'm sure you've heard it before but don't be fooled by the first several miles. If you think you're running slow enough, run even slower. It was around 70 degrees at the start line when I ran and I got caught up in the crowd and went out way too fast. Bonked on Boylston street with thousands of people screaming at me:) Still managed a BQ but it was painful and spent an hour in the med tent.

Oh, also... get in line for the porta potties as soon as you get to the athlete village. It's a mad house.

Good advice and yeah really trying to keep myself in check the first 10k and. Overall goal is 2:57 so 6:45 pace. Trying to keep it 6:35-6:50 pace the first 10k which I know is easier said than done.

How much does waiting in the athletes village for 2 hours suck? I’m bringing an old paperback book to read and toss so i can have something to keep my mind occupied

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Good advice and yeah really trying to keep myself in check the first 10k and. Overall goal is 2:57 so 6:45 pace. Trying to keep it 6:35-6:50 pace the first 10k which I know is easier said than done.

How much does waiting in the athletes village for 2 hours suck? I’m bringing an old paperback book to read and toss so i can have something to keep my mind occupied
LOL, I guess you didn't need my advice with that pace. Actually, I don't recall the wait being that bad other than trying to get to a porta potty which is an issue at most races. I think the nervous energy and people watching makes the time go by faster. Do you know if they've altered it at all for covid? Wondering if they've changed it to only take a certain number of people there at a time.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Congrats, that's a big accomplishment! I've been trying to get to Boston for years. Was supposed to run it in 2020, and we all know what happened there.

Just kicked off a new 16 week cycle of marathon training for myself yesterday. Aiming to run the Jack and Jill Marathon in North Bend, WA end of July. Supposed to be a scenic and fast course that should bode well for another BQ!

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny

Is this your first major marathon? And have ran Chicago twice, both times the waiting went by really fast. You spend most of it in line it seems like. Either to drop off your gear or waiting for the restroom. Only real down time is when you have to be in the starting area.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Messi and 1100011CS

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
LOL, I guess you didn't need my advice with that pace. Actually, I don't recall the wait being that bad other than trying to get to a porta potty which is an issue at most races. I think the nervous energy and people watching makes the time go by faster. Do you know if they've altered it at all for covid? Wondering if they've changed it to only take a certain number of people there at a time.
C3B09B82-69C2-4E06-8FC3-DAE5E3E6FD9B.png

Is the space out new or how it’s always been?

Bus for my bib leaves 645am and figure in Hopkinton by 745am so will have like 2 hours to kill before my start time of 10am

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Is this your first major marathon? And have ran Chicago twice, both times the waiting went by really fast. You spend most of it in line it seems like. Either to drop off your gear or waiting for the restroom. Only real down time is when you have to be in the starting area.
First major yea. Have ran Med City in Rochester, MN and Des Moines where i ran my BQ. Excited to have fan support and runners around me the entire time. Waterworks / Grays lake area was pretty lonely when i ran Des Moines in 2019

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
First major yea. Have ran Med City in Rochester, MN and Des Moines where i ran my BQ. Excited to have fan support and runners around me the entire time. Waterworks / Grays lake area was pretty lonely when i ran Des Moines in 2019
I did Med City in '16 or '17. Is it still point-to-point? When I ran it the first couple miles were all down hill. Des Moines is still one of my favorites but yeah, the waterworks area can test your soul. There will be no lag in fans at Boston. Make sure you take it all in and get a kiss from the girls at Wellesly:)

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Yeah ran Des Moines for the first time last year, was a bit different crowd and spectator wise. Seeing all of the people cheering you on is something I will never forget! Just something everyone should experience sometime!

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I did Med City in '16 or '17. Is it still point-to-point? When I ran it the first couple miles were all down hill. Des Moines is still one of my favorites but yeah, the waterworks area can test your soul. There will be no lag in fans at Boston. Make sure you take it all in and get a kiss from the girls at Wellesly:)
Yeah in 2019 kinda a point to point with a loop around the city.

Fishingwithcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 25, 2021
Hoping to do my first marathon in the fall in des monies and also doing dam to dsm. The thought of running 26 miles has been some times overwhelming lol

Reactions: Messi and 1100011CS

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Hoping to do my first marathon in the fall in des monies and also doing dam to dsm. The thought of running 26 miles has been some times overwhelming lol
Sure you will do great! Had a great pacer for mine last year. Took the first part of the race to chat and get to know us, then pushed us at the end. But like others have said, are some boring parts to that course.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Novice runner, here. Did XC in high school but more so just to stay in shape. Wasn't competitive. Usually, I run some in the summers to get in shape for a hiking trips out in the Rockies. Was doing 10 to 12 miles on the regular last summer and found my feet/ankles were hurting more than normal. Nothing terrible and just pushed through it but it was annoying and started around mile 6 or 7. I used Brooks shoes last summer and plan to this summer again but didn't know if you guys had good recommendations for shoes for a middle-aged guy with fat and flat feet. TIA

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Novice runner, here. Did XC in high school but more so just to stay in shape. Wasn't competitive. Usually, I run some in the summers to get in shape for a hiking trips out in the Rockies. Was doing 10 to 12 miles on the regular last summer and found my feet/ankles were hurting more than normal. Nothing terrible and just pushed through it but it was annoying and started around mile 6 or 7. I used Brooks shoes last summer and plan to this summer again but didn't know if you guys had good recommendations for shoes for a middle-aged guy with fat and flat feet. TIA
I'm in my early 50s and average between 50-60 miles a week when I'm training for a marathon. I also have super flat feet and I think they've gotten flatter since I started running about 10 years ago. I've tried lots of different shoes and in my non-professional opinion it's more about easing into the distance than it is about the specific shoe. I purposely don't get the real 'supportive' shoes. Again, not an expert at all but IMO we are 'designed' to run barefoot. I think shoe companies push all the support stuff to charge you more and it just makes your feet and lower legs weak. Anyway, if the Brooks don't feel good, try something else. I've been using Saucony for the last few years and really like them.

Reactions: JM4CY