Marathon Runners Thread

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
The Main to Main marathon in Mitchell County Iowa is August 20th this year. It's a USATF certified course, and a Boston qualifier.

You can also sign up for a 5k, 10k or half marathon.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi and 1100011CS

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I've tried lots of different shoes and in my non-professional opinion it's more about easing into the distance than it is about the specific shoe. I purposely don't get the real 'supportive' shoes. Again, not an expert at all but IMO we are 'designed' to run barefoot.
If you haven't read it, you would probably like the book, "Born to Run . . . " by Christopher McDougall

Nov 23, 2019
Best of luck to all the folks running Spring/Summer races out there! I’ll be running the Madeline Island 1/2 at the end of May.

On a slightly related note, as someone who now lives out of Iowa, I really used to enjoy checking out the Fitness Sports website to see results of all the road races in state. It’s disappointing how that site has changed.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
any Chicago tips for runners and/or spectators?

running it for the first time in 2 weeks

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
any Chicago tips for runners and/or spectators?

running it for the first time in 2 weeks
Just the usual: Don't go out to fast, expect a slowdown after 10 but try to minimize it until at least 18, think how sweet it is to stop running after the finish to propel you through the last 3. I have found first 10 = 1/3 time, 10-19 = 1/3 time, last 7.2 = 1/3 time.

That is assuming you are in the 7:00 - 8:00 pace, I never ran any slower so don't know how those would shake out.

Reactions: Messi

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Just the usual: Don't go out to fast, expect a slowdown after 10 but try to minimize it until at least 18, think how sweet it is to stop running after the finish to propel you through the last 3. I have found first 10 = 1/3 time, 10-19 = 1/3 time, last 7.2 = 1/3 time.

That is assuming you are in the 7:00 - 8:00 pace, I never ran any slower so don't know how those would shake out.
Any of my marathons, i would do mile one at 30sec over goal pace, mile two at 15sec over goal pace, mile 3-22 at 5sec under goal pace, miles 23-26 see what's left.

Have a plan for fuel and hydration and have practiced it ahead of time. I found that if I could consume 300-500 calories before mile 16, then they would pay off after mile 20 and I wouldn't have to do any further calorie intake after that, just hydration.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Any of my marathons, i would do mile one at 30sec over goal pace, mile two at 15sec over goal pace, mile 3-22 at 5sec under goal pace, miles 23-26 see what's left.

Have a plan for fuel and hydration and have practiced it ahead of time. I found that if I could consume 300-500 calories before mile 16, then they would pay off after mile 20 and I wouldn't have to do any further calorie intake after that, just hydration.
Reading that the buildings downtown create a lot of gps issues so really going to have to keep it reigned in that first 5k. I ran Boston 2022 really let the adrenaline get best of that first few miles and had to intentionally focus on slowing down

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Reading that the buildings downtown create a lot of gps issues so really going to have to keep it reigned in that first 5k. I ran Boston 2022 really let the adrenaline get best of that first few miles and had to intentionally focus on slowing down
They definitely do! Knew about them and was still way too fast out of the start. Have a app for my Garmin watch that lets you input the race distance and then do manual miles that helped with pacing.

You also have to get to the start way early. Not sure what you do food/drink to prepare, but was an adjustment for me eating almost 2 hrs before the start. I did bring a snack/bottle of water with me to the start.

• Informative

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Boston is its own animal with those first couple of miles with such a drastic net downhill. I remember looking down at my watch and thinking to myself "man 5:15/mile has never felt so easy". This was despite leaning backwards to stay in control. That Boston ended up going well for me and my next one was faster. My last Boston was my worst marathon though

Reactions: NWICY and Messi

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So this isn't a marathon question but more just running one.

Last August I pulled my hamstring on a run and tried to rehab/let it heal myself to a point where I finally went to PT with a guy that's been really good for other things.

I was making some progress but was struggling getting over the hump as it's just one of those injuries that can re-injure pretty easily.

My PT tested out the strength of the hamstring and said it was really good since there wasn't any pain, and any lingering pain was likely mild sciatica. With a few 'slider' type of things it got better so with his permission I tried some run/walk stuff to feel it out. It felt fine during that and for a day or two did too so I thought it was turning a corner.

One day last week though my OTHER leg felt similar in the middle hamstring area, like a small cut on the back end of it. I stretched out other areas and it got better, and I haven't ran or anything, but today it's back.

Anyone had experience with this? A colleague thinks it's a back issue that's the problem with all of it. Am I doomed or are there ways to get out of it?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
So this isn't a marathon question but more just running one.

Last August I pulled my hamstring on a run and tried to rehab/let it heal myself to a point where I finally went to PT with a guy that's been really good for other things.

I was making some progress but was struggling getting over the hump as it's just one of those injuries that can re-injure pretty easily.

My PT tested out the strength of the hamstring and said it was really good since there wasn't any pain, and any lingering pain was likely mild sciatica. With a few 'slider' type of things it got better so with his permission I tried some run/walk stuff to feel it out. It felt fine during that and for a day or two did too so I thought it was turning a corner.

One day last week though my OTHER leg felt similar in the middle hamstring area, like a small cut on the back end of it. I stretched out other areas and it got better, and I haven't ran or anything, but today it's back.

Anyone had experience with this? A colleague thinks it's a back issue that's the problem with all of it. Am I doomed or are there ways to get out of it?
Try yoga. I sit a lot for work and once in a while my back starts bothering (which can also be hamstring tightness). I do yoga for a couple weeks and it always gets better.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Try yoga. I sit a lot for work and once in a while my back starts bothering (which can also be hamstring tightness). I do yoga for a couple weeks and it always gets better.

Yeah I do yoga or at least a handful of yoga stretches throughout the day. The problem/concern is doing something within that that could make it worse.

I likely sit too much which doesn't help.

Maybe I should start to get bothered by ISU basketball games again and go back to pacing for some random weeknight game that has no impact on anyone's lives at all haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 1100011CS

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Yeah I do yoga or at least a handful of yoga stretches throughout the day. The problem/concern is doing something within that that could make it worse.

I likely sit too much which doesn't help.

Maybe I should start to get bothered by ISU basketball games again and go back to pacing for some random weeknight game that has no impact on anyone's lives at all haha.
I'm not a PT but I can't imagine yoga would make it worse. Maybe just focus on back specific poses. I have a dvd (yeah, I'm old) that's Yoga for back pain.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not a PT but I can't imagine yoga would make it worse. Maybe just focus on back specific poses. I have a dvd (yeah, I'm old) that's Yoga for back pain.

The rule for hamstring issues is to not stretch it too much so some yogaish things can hurt.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron