Marathon Runners Thread

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
My first i went out intentionally slow and when I looked at my watch after mile 2 I was WAY TOO FAST= I could usually tell within 3 seconds per mile in training. I was off by 38 seconds out of the shoot. Slow down like you feel like you are crawling I guarantee you will not be. 20 mile BONK is real good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Bumping this, curious if anyone else is running any fall marathons? Running Chicago again in just over 2 weeks!
I haven't fully committed to IMT Des Moines yet as we're in the process of selling a house and remodeling another but I'm training as if I'm committed. Well, trying to anyway. Might do a later fall race somewhere farther south.

Nov 23, 2019
Bumping this, curious if anyone else is running any fall marathons? Running Chicago again in just over 2 weeks!

I’ll be running the Whistlestop Marathon in Ashland, Wisconsin. It’s a beautiful Fall race on a rails to trails route with a slight downhill grade the whole way. Soft surface, great Fall colors and usually (this year is different with Covid) a great finish area with a massive tent, beer, food and live music.

Good luck in Chicago! That’s a great race.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
I’ll be running the Whistlestop Marathon in Ashland, Wisconsin. It’s a beautiful Fall race on a rails to trails route with a slight downhill grade the whole way. Soft surface, great Fall colors and usually (this year is different with Covid) a great finish area with a massive tent, beer, food and live music.

Good luck in Chicago! That’s a great race.

Yeah I love fall races, great time to be running! And thanks! Ran it two years ago so pretty familiar with it. Will be interesting to see how many still run it this year.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
I'm still upset with how miserably hot I was during Dam to DSM last month so I have not been in the running mood since lol.

It was way too warm to be running then. Ended up walking some if it as didn't feel like pushing it too much in the heat. And not having a beer tent at the end made it even worse...haha

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
I haven't fully committed to IMT Des Moines yet as we're in the process of selling a house and remodeling another but I'm training as if I'm committed. Well, trying to anyway. Might do a later fall race somewhere farther south.

Am planning on running that one as well. Is a week after Chicago, so will just see how I feel that week.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Signed up for a half at the end of October and the Houston Marathon in January. Haven't put in any significant mileage the last 6 weeks cause of a busy work schedule. Hoping to be motivated with a lighter schedule and the weather breaking (relatively) to get back on the horse.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Running is a great way to get in shape but I find as I'm getting older it may not be worth the damage to my joints.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have a buddy who swears by swimming and he ain't wrong.
Oh, 100%. I'm just not willing to get up at 4 am to go to lap swim. Yoga is doing wonders for my body. My resting heart rate was 66 at the doctor. I don't do much cardio anymore so that's a good number for me. Down 20 beats from last year.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I'll be running the Des Moines 1/2. Looking forward to it after that super hot Dam to DSM. 4 days in Vegas was not good for training.

• Funny
Reactions: interrobang

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Signed up for IMT back in the spring as a couch to marathon type thing. I officially hate running and anything to do with running. I just want the punishment to be over and my weekends back. Did the Palo 30k trail run the morning of the Cy-Hawk game and it was everything I could do not to quit with 2 miles left. I walked my sore legs across that finish line. If I finish before the aid stations close up and the finish line taken down I'll be happy that the punishment is over. Really should have built up to a marathon over multiple years.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Any CFers running Boston today? Anyone getting exted for next week?
I ran Boston in 2016. It was a cool experience but I wouldn't do it again unless I had some specific reason(one of my kids, or friends wanted to run). Too many people for me.
I just realized yesterday that I registered for the IMT back in Jan :oops: I'm nowhere near ready but I think I'll just do a walk/run to get through it and get my $100 finisher medal:)

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
How did Chicago go for you?
It was hot! Ran it slower than I did 2 years ago, but was 30 degrees cooler then as well. Overall it was still a fun time though!

Definitely hit a wall around 20 miles. Just got a bit behind on water and started to cramp up. But feel a lot better today after resting pretty much all of yesterday afternoon and evening.

Reactions: 1100011CS