Marathon Runners Thread

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Once you try and do a 18 miler when it is 90+ degrees, massive humidity and your carrying water or Gatorade it will get easier to be a morning person.
Do you carry your drink in your hand, one of those backpack things, or something else? I've always just made my route where I can leave water to drink throughout. I hate carrying things while running.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Do you carry your drink in your hand, one of those backpack things, or something else? I've always just made my route where I can leave water to drink throughout. I hate carrying things while running.

I used to stash water too but I carried a hand held bottle with a strap if it was way hot or I was running my hilly course where stashing water wasn't an option. I hated carrying things too but if the strap is comfortable you get used to it and I carried my chews in the pouch part too. I'm celiac so GF chews a must
best-handheld-water-bottle-for-running-square1-300x300.jpg
Honey-Stinger-Chew-Limeade-LG.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
After a long hiatus I started running about a year ago and have signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon in October. Right now I'm just building up mileage and trying to shed about 10 pounds until June when I start training. The last time I did this I followed a Hal Higdon training program. My question to anyone in the know is... What other training programs are out there that you've tried and liked.?

I'm in a similar spot. Signed up for the market to market relay from Jefferson to DM with a team and it will be the first I've done something like that. I've done 4 half marathons but training will be a little different for M2M because of the interval runs.

I'm not a big fan of Higdon because if I remember correctly, he has you running 4-5 times per week? Maybe that's necessary for a full marathon but I've done all of my half training on 3 runs per week. 2 lower-mid mileage runs (3-5 miles) during the week and then one long run on the weekends.

Anyone else planning on doing Dam 2 Dam? I'm signed up but am just starting to build up some mileage again (along with losing about 15 pounds of winter/beer weight).

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'm in a similar spot. Signed up for the market to market relay from Jefferson to DM with a team and it will be the first I've done something like that. I've done 4 half marathons but training will be a little different for M2M because of the interval runs.

I'm not a big fan of Higdon because if I remember correctly, he has you running 4-5 times per week? Maybe that's necessary for a full marathon but I've done all of my half training on 3 runs per week. 2 lower-mid mileage runs (3-5 miles) during the week and then one long run on the weekends.

Anyone else planning on doing Dam 2 Dam? I'm signed up but am just starting to build up some mileage again (along with losing about 15 pounds of winter/beer weight).
I've done D2D every year since I started running. It was still a 20k when I started. I'm hoping to get my son to run it with me this year for the last year.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I wanted to do the D2D but I'll be busy best-manning it up that day. So I guess I can't.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Yep, living in Houston forced the morning running upon me. Now, with a pregnant wife and a 3 year old, it has become one of the few "me" times that I have left.
My wife got pregnant after I started training and was 5 months pregnant when I ran. Almost all of my runs were in the morning. Except the three weeks I was in Sydney for work. I ran when I damn well pleased. :) Couldn't find a better place to run some of my long runs. Of course there was the conversion of KM to Miles, and looking to the right first when crossing roads. But other than that...

• Funny
Reactions: CtownCyclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I started running 2 years ago and I'm 38. I use to hate it when I was younger but I have totally fallen in love with it. My first race was the Dam to Dam last year and I am running in the St. Paddy's half this year. I would love to run a full, but I'm not sure I have the discipline to get myself in good enough shape. I'm not good about running an actual training schedule, although I generally run a few short runs (6-8) and a long run (9-10) every week. I like to diversify my workouts with bike riding and strength training, and I feel like I would have to stop everything but running to find the time to prepare for a marathon.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I started running 2 years ago and I'm 38. I use to hate it when I was younger but I have totally fallen in love with it. My first race was the Dam to Dam last year and I am running in the St. Paddy's half this year. I would love to run a full, but I'm not sure I have the discipline to get myself in good enough shape. I'm not good about running an actual training schedule, although I generally run a few short runs (6-8) and a long run (9-10) every week. I like to diversify my workouts with bike riding and strength training, and I feel like I would have to stop everything but running to find the time to prepare for a marathon.

You wouldn't have to step up much more at all to be ready for the full marathon. Could probably even cut back a day of running and be well ready.

Every training program stresses using some other types of training and especially strength training. All you'd be doing is adding miles to the long run, and you do that gradually enough that you wouldn't even notice.

• Informative
Reactions: NorthCyd

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014

I think I'll sign up and go slow for a training run. A friend told me to sign up early because it will fill up fast (8000 runners).

Reactions: CycloneErik

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I'll be running my 4th full marathon this fall (Indianapolis). Have ran Des Moines, Twin Cities and Chicago previously. I used the HH Intermediate 2 training plan for my last marathon. Felt great until I started cramping up at mile 23 and couldn't quite keep up with my goal pace. I haven't heard much about the Hanson plan before, but it sounds interesting to me. Would be curious to hear if any other runners here have had success with a certain training plan that helped them not hit a wall at mile 20 or beyond. That's been my biggest problem in my races so far, something always seems to go wrong late in the race and I run out of juice.

To the OP, Twin Cities was a great course, but be prepared for the tiered hills at the end of the race up Summit. I still have running nightmares from those things. I will say Chicago has been my favorite so far because of how flat and well attended it was (never a moment you weren't surrounded by other runners or spectators). Helps with the mental side of things especially late in the race.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I've only run one (Philadelphia in 2016) and I used the Oklahoma City Landrunner's program mixed in with a bit of my managers NYRR program (he was running New York about 3 weeks before me). That got me to a 4:15 total time. I think I could have broken 4, but I basically had to shut down running for about 3 weeks about 7 weeks out. I think the final 4 weeks I ran maybe a total of 8-10 times, so my long distance conditioning was shot. I'm guessing running that Ragnar Trail relay in early october didn't help my calf injury either.

The jump from a half to a full really only affects your long runs as far as time commitment. An extra 20 minutes running during the week isn't super noticeable. An extra 1.5 hours running on a Sunday morning you are going to notice. You'll also notice it about 4 hours laters when you are sore getting off the couch. The one other difference I noticed is that the full marathon doesn't let you slack off. You can kind of skip workouts and get through a half, but if you start missing miles training for a full it will eat you up and spit you back out. One other thing that I think helped me is some basic strength training on my off days. I didn't do anything crazy, but working those other muscles (especially core) made me feel better.

I do need to start running again. Did a couple of halves back in late spring / early summer and haven't really done much running since. Went running for the first time in about 6 months yesterday and holy crap do I notice the extra 25lbs I've put on.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I'm similar to you to - picked up running when I was 31. It's still a love-hate relationship with those long runs but in general, I like it a lot. Working 50-60 hours per week and trying to maintain somewhat of a social life doesn't line up with marathon training, although I'd love to give it a shot one of these years. The half is a perfect distance IMO.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am just here to preach and share the gospel of 5k, 5 mile and 10k races! :)

Everytime I got mileage up over anything more than 30 miles a week my right foot would stress fracture or just strain if I was lucky. Finally quit so I could walk without my foot hurting. Did run a 25k just for the hell of it once. Anyway, you can run and train for shorter races in a fraction of the time commitment of a marathon and still get into some pretty good shape. You still get the fun of running a race and motivation that training for it brings. Downside is that if you run a 3:30 marathon all of your friends will go "Ah, cool, dude!" If you say you ran a 18-19-20 minute 5k they will just nod their head and ask how many miles is that? :oops:

Every couple of years I give the foot a test run to see if it has miraculously strengthened or healed itself. Couple years ago it tolerated my running some. Maybe my old man (66) pace is so slow it does not bang it as much or maybe all of the biking stirrup time strengthened it some. Got away with running a 5k and "training" for another this April. Biggest issue was mental, adjusting to "racing" at a pace I used to jog at on easy days when I was younger. :rolleyes:

Reactions: SC Cy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We should keep track of the Cyclones getting ready to run the Twin Cities. We will likely have some local alumni running. Maybe setup a meet up or cheering areas at various mile points. Our alumni club has been trying to set up a running group. If you are running the 5k or 10 mile Goldy's Run here on April 8th you can register with a club on the registration, sign up for "Iowa State Alumni of the Twin Cities"

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Good luck! Taper time, enjoy it!

Meanwhile, I've got a calf strain and I tweaked my back carrying a violently thrashing 3 year old the other day. Barely got in 3 miles this morning.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrevkah

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
After a long hiatus I started running about a year ago and have signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon in October. Right now I'm just building up mileage and trying to shed about 10 pounds until June when I start training. The last time I did this I followed a Hal Higdon training program. My question to anyone in the know is... What other training programs are out there that you've tried and liked.?

I generally followed the Higdon program when I was running 1/2 marathons. It seemed like I needed more recovery time and cut back the training a little.

Fat guy running, became a thinner guy running, stopped running, continued to eat like a runner....and back to fat guy.

Help Support Us

Become a patron