• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The Tom Holland version of Spider-Man is still a part of Sony and has the freedom to pass between the MCU and this standalone "Spidey-Verse." I think these Spider-verse movies are going to be treated similarly to how the Netflix Marvel shows acknowledge the MCU. These standalone Sony films need to make nods to Spider-Man, but not only that, they can also make nods to the MCU films that Spider-Man is involved in - such as Infinity War. I could see a scenario that the Venom symbiote traces back to a planet/dimension that maybe ties loosely to one of the planets/dimensions that appears briefly in Infinity War, similar to how K'un-Lun in Iron Fist is somewhat more believable since Kamar-Taj was introduced in Doctor Strange, despite never outright connecting the two.

We know that Marvel & Sony are going to get their moneys worth with Spider-Man. I'm sure there is some kind of deal in place that Spider-Man needs to tie back in with these Sony films, but maybe he can't be a starring character - which is why a film where he splits time with an anti-hero like Venom would make sense. That's at least my thought - I haven't read anything one way to verify that this will be the case.

I'd say that having the Spider-man: Homecoming director say that the Venom movie is not part of the MCU should be a pretty good final word closing the book on any of those thoughts.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/29/spider-man-homecoming-venom-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Just finished first episode of Iron Fist. Not gonna lie, I almost fell asleep. Man, that was bad. I'm not sure it can get worse. What is the budget on this thing? $50???

• Funny
Reactions: State43

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Sony-Marvel contract that allows Spider-Man in the MCU includes the following movies:

Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Avengers: Infinity War
Untitled Avengers Movie (after Infinity War)
Sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming

The contract expires after that, and it will be up to Sony-Marvel to renew, but that looks unlikely now that Sony is moving forward with their own "Spiderverse." That's still a lot of time for Tom Holland to dedicate to the MCU. Hopefully they can make a deal for a third stand-alone movie to complete the trilogy (as long as it's not like Raimi's Spider-Man 3)

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/spider-man-out-mcu-following-spider-man-homecoming-sequel

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The Sony-Marvel contract that allows Spider-Man in the MCU includes the following movies:

Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Avengers: Infinity War
Untitled Avengers Movie (after Infinity War)
Sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming

The contract expires after that, and it will be up to Sony-Marvel to renew, but that looks unlikely now that Sony is moving forward with their own "Spiderverse." That's still a lot of time for Tom Holland to dedicate to the MCU. Hopefully they can make a deal for a third stand-alone movie to complete the trilogy (as long as it's not like Raimi's Spider-Man 3)

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/spider-man-out-mcu-following-spider-man-homecoming-sequel

I'm not sure I'd say it is unlikely that Sony renews after that. There is a lot of time between now and then, and if Spider-Man is killing it in the MCU, I have a hard time believing Marvel and Sony don't continue to make it happen. Both companies like money. Ultimately, everyone is going off of Amy Paschal's quotes, which are a bit misleading and I'm not sure she meant to say it the way that she said it too. I think her original intent was to simply praise how unprecedented an event seeing these companies come together like this is and how great it has been so far... end of story. However, it was the we may not see it ever happen again part that has everyone up in arms, but I think she meant it more as how great it is that this happened, rather than this will surely end. Also, even if she meant it that way, everything people like this say is a negotiating tactic. Actors and directors do this stuff ALL the time. It is borderline ridiculous how commonplace this is in that industry. If any of us normal joes out here talked as much as a lot of these guys do in our own careers about potentially doing other things or greener pastures or what not, we'd be sitting on the road side with a "looking for work" sign.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not sure I'd say it is unlikely that Sony renews after that. There is a lot of time between now and then, and if Spider-Man is killing it in the MCU, I have a hard time believing Marvel and Sony don't continue to make it happen. Both companies like money. Ultimately, everyone is going off of Amy Paschal's quotes, which are a bit misleading and I'm not sure she meant to say it the way that she said it too. I think her original intent was to simply praise how unprecedented an event seeing these companies come together like this is and how great it has been so far... end of story. However, it was the we may not see it ever happen again part that has everyone up in arms, but I think she meant it more as how great it is that this happened, rather than this will surely end. Also, even if she meant it that way, everything people like this say is a negotiating tactic. Actors and directors do this stuff ALL the time. It is borderline ridiculous how commonplace this is in that industry. If any of us normal joes out here talked as much as a lot of these guys do in our own careers about potentially doing other things or greener pastures or what not, we'd be sitting on the road side with a "looking for work" sign.

Plus, Pascal is only going off what she knows. She was ousted at Sony after the email hack a few years ago and only is sticking around in a producer capacity since she brokered the deal shortly before she was terminated. She has no idea what kind of talks Sony and Marvel have had since then or are going to have once Homecoming It's just hard to see Sony be willing to share one of the most valuable properties they have, while developing a number of movies around that character. On the other hand, Sony just announced that The Dark Tower release date just got pushed back to August which is another hit for their studio releases, so a lucrative and reliable partnership with the MCU could give their studio some stability.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Plus, Pascal is only going off what she knows. She was ousted at Sony after the email hack a few years ago and only is sticking around in a producer capacity since she brokered the deal shortly before she was terminated. She has no idea what kind of talks Sony and Marvel have had since then or are going to have once Homecoming It's just hard to see Sony be willing to share one of the most valuable properties they have, while developing a number of movies around that character. On the other hand, Sony just announced that The Dark Tower release date just got pushed back to August which is another hit for their studio releases, so a lucrative and reliable partnership with the MCU could give their studio some stability.

Yeah, truthfully, Spider-Man in the MCU might be the ONLY thing Sony has going for them right now. They are desperate for franchises right now, which is also why they are even willing to start their only Spidey-Universe without Spidey even in it. Its simply because they've got squat, so they are trying to just squeeze as much out of that squat as possible. Its too bad too. I truly believe that if done right, Ghostbusters really could have taken off into something big, but I can't tell you how disappointed I was in that movie, in pretty much all facets of it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, I also made it through episode 2 of Iron Fist last night, and while it improved slightly from episode 1, it was still pretty bad. Seriously, what they are doing in the first couple episodes, who cares??? None of this is stuff I wanted to see so far in an Iron Fist series. I feel like they are just wasting time on worthless boring stuff, and spending a whopping zero production dollars in the process. We don't pay to watch Danny just talk a bunch. If anything, I was hoping Marvel might finally open their pocketbook a bit with Iron Fist due to all that his character entails and really requires in my mind. Guess not so far. Where is the Iron Fist? Where is ANY K'un-Lun footage? Seriously. Anyway, I've heard word from someone that it does get a bit better around episode 7 and that the ending actually ends better than Luke Cage at least. With that said, I'm really hoping so, but that also means I've got a long slog still to get to episode 7. Lastly, Colleen Wing seems to be the only decent character so far.

Last edited:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
So, I also made it through episode 2 of Iron Fist last night, and while it improved slightly from episode 1, it was still pretty bad. Seriously, what they are doing in the first couple episodes, who cares??? None of this is stuff I wanted to see so far in an Iron Fist series. I feel like they are just wasting time on worthless boring stuff, and spending a whopping zero production dollars in the process. We don't pay to watch Danny just talk a bunch. If anything, I was hoping Marvel might finally open their pocketbook a bit with Iron Fist due to all that his character entails. Guess not so far. Anyway, I've heard word from someone that it does get a bit better around episode 7 and that the ending actually ends better than Luke Cage at least. With that said, I'm really hoping so, but that also means I've got a long slog still to get to episode 7.
Yeah the first 3 or so episodes are REALLY slow. I hate that they have Danny talk to much because for some reason I found a lot of times I would get annoyed with stuff he said/how he comes across saying it.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So, I also made it through episode 2 of Iron Fist last night, and while it improved slightly from episode 1, it was still pretty bad. Seriously, what they are doing in the first couple episodes, who cares??? None of this is stuff I wanted to see so far in an Iron Fist series. I feel like they are just wasting time on worthless boring stuff, and spending a whopping zero production dollars in the process. We don't pay to watch Danny just talk a bunch. If anything, I was hoping Marvel might finally open their pocketbook a bit with Iron Fist due to all that his character entails. Guess not so far. Anyway, I've heard word from someone that it does get a bit better around episode 7 and that the ending actually ends better than Luke Cage at least. With that said, I'm really hoping so, but that also means I've got a long slog still to get to episode 7.

I have one episode left and I think Luke Cage is way better than this show. I'll have to see what kind of twist they add in the Season Finale, but Finn Jones as Danny Rand is poor casting and I am worried about his presence in The Defenders. Episode 6 was my favorite - it was directed by RZA and was definitely the most "kung fu-focused" episode I've seen so far.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yeah the first 3 or so episodes are REALLY slow. I hate that they have Danny talk to much because for some reason I found a lot of times I would get annoyed with stuff he said/how he comes across saying it.

He is annoying the crap out of me right now. Not only is his acting borderline awful, but his writers and directors are NOT helping the cause at all. I don't even like how the writers are portraying the character either. The dude isn't likable and is just kind of weird. Also, what they have him say a lot just doesn't make sense and is so out of character for the Iron Fist, its ridiculous. Regardless, its a team effort to make something so bad. Also again, seriously Ike Perlmutter, lots of people watch this show, so open your pocketbooks dude!!!! I get it that you want to make a lot of money, but I feel like everything so far is Marvel trying their hardest to sidestep spending the money required to actually produce this character, and just giving us filler instead. Shoot, Agents of Shield probably spends 3 times what you are spending on each episode of this, and they have a fraction of the viewers. If you ever want to play with the big boys side-by-side in the movies, you've got to somewhat spend like them.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I hope its not a slow burn. Get the team together in a few episodes then beat some bad guys mmmk?

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
So I finished Iron Fist this past weekend. The entire first season was underwhelming, however, I do think the show is setup rather nicely for an interesting S2. I really like how the Meachum's changed over the course of the series and they could be compelling allies/villains down the road. If Netflix can bring in new (and better) writers and better fight choreographers then I could tune in to S2. I actually started to watch Into the Badlands Season 1 on Netflix immediately after I finished Iron Fist and the fight choreography blows away anything Iron Fist put on screen. Netflix needs to up the action and make Danny Rand a competent fighter. Finn Jones has got to put on a better presence in The Defenders for Iron Fist to be a series worth watching, otherwise they should just ditch him and stick with Jon Bernthal's Punisher series and perhaps move on to Moon Knight. The more I read about Moon Knight the more I think that character could actually work on TV.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
FYI... 6 episodes in now on Iron Fist and man, it still blows, in pretty much all categories. Really hoping things eventually start to get a little better. Truthfully, the only character I've really liked so far was Jeri Hogarth's crossover appearances in a few episodes. For that short while, it seemed like a professional coming in to work with a bunch of amateurs.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Iron Fist

My favorite part of Iron Fist was the office fight near the end. He produces a power punch that was cool to see. They must have used the whole fx budget in that 4 seconds. But it was cool.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Iron Fist

My favorite part of Iron Fist was the office fight near the end. He produces a power punch that was cool to see. They must have used the whole fx budget in that 4 seconds. But it was cool.

That was cool, but that scene was in the trailer for the series, so that moment didn't resonate with me all that much.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
That was cool, but that scene was in the trailer for the series, so that moment didn't resonate with me all that much.

They wasted it on us! Would have been great if he could have used that early on and frequently. Hoping we see it more in the Defenders.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Yeah, truthfully, Spider-Man in the MCU might be the ONLY thing Sony has going for them right now. They are desperate for franchises right now, which is also why they are even willing to start their only Spidey-Universe without Spidey even in it. Its simply because they've got squat, so they are trying to just squeeze as much out of that squat as possible. Its too bad too. I truly believe that if done right, Ghostbusters really could have taken off into something big, but I can't tell you how disappointed I was in that movie, in pretty much all facets of it.

This imagery needs work.

• Funny