McD post game interview

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Brother, you can't dangle the rabbit and then yank it back. Speaketh of the knowledge ye possess, or stay thy fingers from thine keyboard.

Amen to this brother! With all due respect to Clones21, his posts on this subject are reminding of a bunch of 4th graders dancing around during recess singing out "I've got a secret! I've got a secret!" Either put up or shut up. Same thing applies to Jeremy and the rest of the posters who despise WM when they tell us that we were going to be put on NCAA probation if WM stuck around but then write "But we can't tell you anymore...." Total and complete BS. Put up or shut up.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I think it’s time for GMac to get tough! This year’s team is his best chance at making the NCAA Tournament while at Iowa State. If not this year then when? Next year’s team will unfortunately be much worse. At some point, GMAC needs to realize that he has nothing to lose. $4.65MM Buy-Out! If that is the worse thing that can happen to me then life is pretty good. Quit being Coach Bobby Finstock. I swear at one point in the game last night he walked over to CB and asked him when we were going to see The Wolf. He then sat back down and told Coach Otzelberger to go get him some salt. Show some fire! Go Rick Majerus – call the players *%$#@ and poop in a towel if you have to. Better yet go Bobby Knight and put a couple of them in a choke hold. The NDSU game would be a great game to send the team a message. If you don’t practice well you sit. If you cause problems off the court you sit. If you stand around on offense or defense you sit. Run the team in practice until they puke. If you’re going to transfer, so what, transfer. Get the hell out. The next two days should decide who plays on Saturday. If Alex Dorr shows the most hustle and fire in practice run him out there for 40 minutes. Personally, I’d like to see the following as a starting line-up on Saturday: Dominique Buckley – 1; Scott Christopherson – 2; Alex Dorr – 3; L.A. Pomlee – 4; Justin Hamilton – 5. I wouldn’t care if the team gets beat by 50 points. Same goes for the Texas game. I’m 100% in GMac’s corner and in no way shape or form want him to get fired but I want this team to get tough! Go Cyclones!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Gmac has no ability to manage ego (which is a huge part of being a basketball coach at this level). That is why he ran of Lawrence Westbrook.... who by the way was the leading scorer on an NCAA team last year, boy we could have used him at guard. Apparently Tubby Smith had no problem managing his ego, thats what a basketball coach should do.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Gmac has no ability to manage ego (which is a huge part of being a basketball coach at this level). That is why he ran of Lawrence Westbrook.... who by the way was the leading scorer on an NCAA team last year, boy we could have used him at guard. Apparently Tubby Smith had no problem managing his ego, thats what a basketball coach should do.

Had the kid even committed?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
CIMD- I heard it, I can't remember it word for word, but it went something like when Walters or whoever was interviewing him asked how he though Colvin did in front of the home crowd Mac said something to the nature of: " Colvin's a really talented kid on the court but he has some issues that he needs to take care of off the court or else something needs to happen..." He went on to mention that there are a couple guys on the team that are not playing as a team, they're in it for themselves but colvin is the only one he singled out." The interview ended at that point.

color me very troubled by a coach making this statement in a post game.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I wouldn't expect John and Eric to press but I would expect the rest of the media (Randy Peterson) to follow up on it and we have seen nothing.

Yes I agree, it is suprising that there has been no story on what went on. Glad we have a 2:00 local sports show to talk about things like this.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Probably a very awkward moment for them, and they really aren't there for hard-hitting journalism. I'm going to say that I don't think they'd press that.

Maybe Gmac wanted to talk about it further, and was waiting to be prompted - you never know until you try.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I thought the same thing reading that comment

It would be right up there with "I'm a man!! I'm 40!" and "They are who we thought they were!"

I'd rather have someone else be the laughingstock, but we'd earn it if they'd gone for it.

If he was angry enough to mention it on the air, he may have wanted to go further. That probably wouldn't be good, but would be memorable.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It would be right up there with "I'm a man!! I'm 40!" and "They are who we thought they were!"

I'd rather have someone else be the laughingstock, but we'd earn it if they'd gone for it.

If he was angry enough to mention it on the air, he may have wanted to go further. That probably wouldn't be good, but would be memorable.

Ya it may have been in everyones best intrest to not go any further into that at that moment.