Missing Student -- ISU ALERT

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
If his car is still parked where it was, he has no phone activity and it went dead about the time he was last seen, no credit or Debit card activity. Don't have a good feeling about this one.. OR else he is very, very good at getting cash and leaving the country for some reason.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I do hope they find this kid alive and well, but I don't think its out of line to start considering the alternatives rather than just dismissing them as crazy theorys considering the amount of time that is going by. Either way, Im praying for the kid and his family.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
About two thirds of the way down in that article...

"However, ISU police have asked concerned residents to join in the efforts to find Lacina by spreading the word. Students have been asked to participate by posting missing person flyers in areas not already covered, notably in places where persons interested in online gaming might gather."

This might open up some discussion...

I have a new theory:

He was a gambler (good reason for the police to say this), had some debts to some type of mafia in the Ames area.... Not sure if there is any type of mafia. I have heard there is but have nothing to back it up.

Any thoughts?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If his car is still parked where it was, he has no phone activity and it went dead about the time he was last seen, no credit or Debit card activity. Don't have a good feeling about this one.. OR else he is very, very good at getting cash and leaving the country for some reason.

I don't think there has been any info. released concerning any bank transactions/withdrawals prior to the disappearance. If I wanted to disappear, I sure wouldn't use my phone or debit card for people to track my movements...

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I have a new theory:

He was a gambler (good reason for the police to say this), had some debts to some type of mafia in the Ames area.... Not sure if there is any type of mafia. I have heard there is but have nothing to back it up.

Any thoughts?

Well, there are a lot of Chicago-area kids at ISU, but I think this might still be a bit out there.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
About two thirds of the way down in that article...

"However, ISU police have asked concerned residents to join in the efforts to find Lacina by spreading the word. Students have been asked to participate by posting missing person flyers in areas not already covered, notably in places where persons interested in online gaming might gather."

This might open up some discussion...
I didn't catch that when I read the article. I would guess that would be a reference to "game type" games as opposed to "online gambling" games. Some of the online games can be taken pretty seriously by some people. Question: where would people that are interested in online gaming gather? I have no idea.

Longhorns3131

Oct 22, 2008
I have a new theory:

Any thoughts?

Project20jpgn.jpg

Stelrs1995

Apr 17, 2006
Waukee, Iowa
I didn't catch that when I read the article. I would guess that would be a reference to "game type" games as opposed to "online gambling" games. Some of the online games can be taken pretty seriously by some people.

I got hooked on DAOC a few years back, I could play that game for 24 hours straight and not even realize it. Had to give it up or get divorced.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I have a new theory:

Any thoughts?

I took the online gaming statement to mean the WoW and LAN party types. Not the gambling types.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I have a new theory:

Any thoughts?

I'll believe SFKillers way before that.... Yup I'm sure the Ames mafia took the kid down over $4 and a cell phone. Wait... That is Jason Berryman.

Hmmm maybe Des Moines South Side Italian Mofia took him down???

Why make up stories about it or theories and run the poor kid's name through it??? My suggestion, unless you have any useful knowledge or insight, sit back and let the REAL investigators do their jobs.

Reactions: Angie

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Are we talking like the World of Warcraft type-crowd or shady internet poker crowd?

Yeah, because its really shady to bet money on a Card game. :no:

Maybe in a convent or some Muslim country that would be considered shady, in American that's called playing cards.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, because its really shady to bet money on a Card game. :no:

Maybe in a convent or some Muslim country that would be considered shady, in American that's called playing cards.

Having a poker night with buddies=good clean fun

Wagering massive amounts of money on-line to the point it might have a connection with your disappearance=shady

Not putting down poker, I've enjoyed a few hands myself. Just wondering if they were hinting at some crazy guy that couldn't keep a game separate from real life or some guy this kid secretly owed a bunch of money to.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Having a poker night with buddies=good clean fun

Wagering massive amounts of money on-line to the point it might have a connection with your disappearance=shady

Not putting down poker, I've enjoyed a few hands myself. Just wondering if they were hinting at some crazy guy that couldn't keep a game separate from real life or some guy this kid secretly owed a bunch of money to.

I've never seen an online gambling site that would front you the money. A bookie would do that in person, but can't think of anywhere online that would do it.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I've never seen an online gambling site that would front you the money. A bookie would do that in person, but can't think of anywhere online that would do it.

Fairly common for people to stake others in online poker.

The article is clearly referring to gaming though not gambling.

CyPhy

Feb 2, 2010
9 and a half years, I'm impressed:no: One of ISU's detectives has been at ISU for 30 some years. I've been firefighting for 10 years does that mean I should have seen everything there is to be seen?

Also since when was there water in Tempe?:biglaugh:

rio salado - Google Maps

Also, all of the storm drainage aqueducts, in season. Amazingly a surprising amount of surface water.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
the question I have is was he intoxicated? If he was really drunk, then any type of accident could be plausible. If he left the party sober, then less likely that it was an accident. (I have made that walk from Campustown many times as part of the drunk and stupid club, and its a wonder I made it home.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Ok... Just to clear the air... Did it say anywhere he was gambling???? No............. So why the hell should we accuse the kid of having a double life and owing money? Grow up people... This isn't CSI Iowa Cornfield edition

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I got hooked on DAOC a few years back, I could play that game for 24 hours straight and not even realize it. Had to give it up or get divorced.
Smart move, man! Any game can become an addiction if a person allows it to take over their life.