Missing Student -- ISU ALERT

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
What does everyone think about the idea of forming student groups to help in the search? I know it has been discouraged over and over (and I'm not in favor of going against the official investigators), but there are already groups popping up on facebook for students to form their own search parties. I guess I could see the good and bad sides...

On a side note, I find it somewhat humorous that the most up-to-date info on Jon Lacina's search is here. Strangetalk used to be the big forum for things like this, and they dont have a peep that I can find.

What would said search groups search that professionals have not yet already searched?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
What does everyone think about the idea of forming student groups to help in the search? I know it has been discouraged over and over (and I'm not in favor of going against the official investigators), but there are already groups popping up on facebook for students to form their own search parties. I guess I could see the good and bad sides...

On a side note, I find it somewhat humorous that the most up-to-date info on Jon Lacina's search is here. Strangetalk used to be the big forum for things like this, and they dont have a peep that I can find.

Is that because CyPhy is here?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

Here's the latest from the Ames Tribune. It mentions the online movement for students getting involved in the search.
Ames Tribune > Ames Tribune > News

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Is that because CyPhy is here?

i haven't read a thing that cyphy has written that is illogical. Look, if this Lacina is found in the water, what will you say about this at that point. Have an open mind. And hopefully he will be found alive, and this whole thing will be an exercise in futility.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
i haven't read a thing that cyphy has written that is illogical. Look, if this Lacina is found in the water, what will you say about this at that point. Have an open mind. And hopefully he will be found alive, and this whole thing will be an exercise in futility.

Honestly, I do have an open mind either way. It's just clear that he's a one-track guy. When this is over, he'll be gone, for better or for worse.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
People ever hear the term "innocent till proven guilty", well there are several posters who think that SFK is guilty of every college missing person case until proven innocent. The argument that "we don't know they didn't do it" is the stupidest comment a person can make. That is like saying "we don't know CycloneErik didn't kidnap and kill someone". (Sorry Erik, not trying to pick on you).

Also, some of the most closed minded posters on here are those that think SFK is responsible. At most, SFK might be linked to maybe 10-15 deaths and that is all speculation, there are hundreds if not thousands of these disappearances every year all over the US.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That is like saying "we don't know CycloneErik didn't kidnap and kill someone". (Sorry Erik, not trying to pick on you).

Poor pizza delivery guy. :no:

I'm a little uneasy about the student search groups. There's not a lot students can do that they don't know already hasn't been done, and if he truly is outside, you're just putting more students in danger with frostbite and stupid stuff because the probability of him being alive after being outside for a week and a half is roughly 0. Put flyers and stuff up. Awesome. Searching? I'm a bit uneasy in that regard.

slincoln

Feb 1, 2010
Ames
www.slincoln.com
What would said search groups search that professionals have not yet already searched?

Good question. I'm not sure they even know.

The best I could come up with as a possible benefit would be to get large teams of people in lines and poke into the snow and drifts with sticks. We had some snow and wind since he disappeared.

CydLiner

Nov 13, 2009
Ankeny
One last comment for me on this thread. The cop from Phoenix said he had never heard of such a thing in 9 and a half years on the force. Isn't it weird that all these drunk white college boys are drowning up north, but that it never happens in Chapel Hill, Gainesville, or Tempe? Those are all pretty majorly partying college towns.

Is this you?

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Honestly, I do have an open mind either way. It's just clear that he's a one-track guy. When this is over, he'll be gone, for better or for worse.

Ultimately we are all one-track guys, and eventually we'll all be gone. Live and let live. He's not here to cause harm.

CyPhy

Feb 2, 2010
Is this you?

Nope, not me. I only spell it "Phy." I wouldn't have written that because by the time I found this forum, they had already searched Lake Laverne.

One weird thing about when they found Abel Balanos ( in Lake Laverne) is that the geese were all over Lincoln Way, clogging up traffic. At the time, no one knew why, but they later deduced that the body had freaked out the geese.

CyPhy

Feb 2, 2010
I keep saying that I'm leaving this forum, but people keep replying to my posts! I agree that the other forum is an more appropriate place to discuss and speculate on SFK, so I will head over there now. Thank you to those who are supportive of what I have written here. The main thing is that I hope and pray that I am wrong about SFK and that Jon Lacina is found alive. At least everyone here has given this some thought, and that can only be good, whether you believe in it or not.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
One last comment for me on this thread. The cop from Phoenix said he had never heard of such a thing in 9 and a half years on the force. Isn't it weird that all these drunk white college boys are drowning up north, but that it never happens in Chapel Hill, Gainesville, or Tempe? Those are all pretty majorly partying college towns.

9 and a half years, I'm impressed:no: One of ISU's detectives has been at ISU for 30 some years. I've been firefighting for 10 years does that mean I should have seen everything there is to be seen?

Also since when was there water in Tempe?:biglaugh:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Here's the latest from the Ames Tribune. It mentions the online movement for students getting involved in the search.

Strange (read that incorrect) choice of words in third to last paragraph: Meanwhile, he said, investigators are still hoping to recover Lacina alive and well nearly two weeks after he was last seen.

"Rescue" means finding a person alive. "Recovery" means the opposite.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek

About two thirds of the way down in that article...

"However, ISU police have asked concerned residents to join in the efforts to find Lacina by spreading the word. Students have been asked to participate by posting missing person flyers in areas not already covered, notably in places where persons interested in online gaming might gather."

This might open up some discussion...

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire

"However, ISU police have asked concerned residents to join in the efforts to find Lacina by spreading the word. Students have been asked to participate by posting missing person flyers in areas not already covered, notably in places where persons interested in online gaming might gather."

I got it, Lacina and the other three disappearances were all gaming buddies and they suddenly decided to go to Mexico together.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Are we talking like the World of Warcraft type-crowd or shady internet poker crowd?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron