Missing Student -- ISU ALERT

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
This SMK stuff sounds more like fables and urban legends. If anything maybe there was a first instance where a murder took place, a smiley face was found near the scene, and then somebody read about it and did a copy-cat crime. If there was an instance where 30+ murders took place like they say with the same circumstances there would be more emphasis on the investigation. From what I have been googling, sounds like a bunch of theory and boogieman tales...

Some of the stuff is kinda creepy. There seems to be some connecting clues to different 'drownings'. Oddly enough many of them based back to Duluth drownings. Maybe it is a serial killer but who knows. some things just seem weird.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Some of the stuff is kinda creepy. There seems to be some connecting clues to different 'drownings'. Oddly enough many of them based back to Duluth drownings. Maybe it is a serial killer but who knows. some things just seem weird.

i think one of the original ones was in LaCrosse, Wi.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
This SMK stuff sounds more like fables and urban legends. If anything maybe there was a first instance where a murder took place, a smiley face was found near the scene, and then somebody read about it and did a copy-cat crime. If there was an instance where 30+ murders took place like they say with the same circumstances there would be more emphasis on the investigation. From what I have been googling, sounds like a bunch of theory and boogieman tales...

Look at all the stuff that is the same in these deaths. Seems like something there to me, regardless of a smiley face. i.e. young, college aged men, drowning, many/most intoxicated. I mean, what the heck? Did you read the last link i posted? Where are all the drunk college women who are drowning? how about old guys who are drowning while drunk?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I'm not saying the SFK was at all involved, but to rule it out completely is stupid. Just because every death isn't the same doesn't mean it couldntbe this group. The SFK stuff is really creepy and something that shouldnt be overlooked. I'm sure other serial killers didnt always use the same M.O.

cyclone603

Mar 7, 2009
Look at all the stuff that is the same in these deaths. Seems like something there to me, regardless of a smiley face. i.e. young, college aged men, drowning, many/most intoxicated. I mean, what the heck? Did you read the last link i posted? Where are all the drunk college women who are drowning? how about old guys who are drowning while drunk?

Not a great point. College women are usually either traveling in groups or receiving an accompaniment on their walk home from a guy. Older guys can handle their alcohol better and are typically not binge drinking, or at least drinking to the point where most college-aged men are drinking when they party. Older guys are probably also either driving or getting a ride home after a party. It's not some conspiracy.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Not a great point. College women are usually either traveling in groups or receiving an accompaniment on their walk home from a guy. Older guys can handle their alcohol better and are typically not binge drinking, or at least drinking to the point where most college-aged men are drinking when they party. Older guys are probably also either driving or getting a ride home after a party. It's not some conspiracy.

how many 'old' guys you been around? you forgot about riding their bike because of too many OWIs. Also, plenty of 'old' guys drinking around college campuses that walk home. Been there, done that, and seen that.

and plenty of single women are stupid enough to walk by themselves. just look at the greenbelt in clive for an example of that, but that is probably a bad example as well.

Last edited:

tman24

Feb 6, 2008

also why is it like 95% white guys. White college guys must be the only stupid ones to not use the buddy system.

CyPhy

Feb 2, 2010
What's your agenda with the smiley face killer thing? You have 5 total posts and they're all about this unproven theory. Not knocking you, but your presence is odd, to say the least. Are you writing a book or something?

I have no agenda. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that I wasn't welcome on this discussion. It was easy enough to sign up...I just assumed new members were welcomed.
Listen, I just have an interest in SFK and when I googled it, this website came up. If you look back, the SFK discussion started on page 11, well before my first post. I just wanted to raise some awareness and hoped that I could get some college-aged white men to raise their awareness level. From the PMs I've received today, I think I have, and so I will leave you to your sports discussions.
I can't even imagine the devastation of a parent losing the light of their life in such a way. College men need to start behaving more like the women...you are not indestructible...travel in groups, and watch what people are slipping into your drink. That's all. I hope they find Jon alive.

Reactions: Tre4ISU

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Oh okay...I think I know why my post was taken down. I think the moderator felt that I made a racially insensitive comment.
So, I would like to try again.
What I was trying to convey is that, if any other demographic group in society other than young white men were showing an epidemic of unexplained drunken drownings, there would be a huge uproar in society. Can you imagine if this many women went missing? Or this many (fill in whatever racial or ethnic group you can think of)?
There's something depressingly sad in our society that we just accept as normal that white college boys, bright, handsome, and with everything to live for, are getting totally plastered and wandering into the nearest body of water to drown.
As a society we need to start questioning this and telling the police, NO...THAT'S NOT THE WAY HE DIED!

That is so incorrect. There are plenty of missing black people in cities too and you won't hear a thing about it.

I think your probably wrong but it is weird how intensely sure you are about this.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
also why is it like 95% white guys. White college guys must be the only stupid ones to not use the buddy system.

maybe because of the demographics midwest (especially the areas being talked about like ames, duluth, la crosse, wi) in which 95% of people in general are white?

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I have no agenda. I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that I wasn't welcome on this discussion. It was easy enough to sign up...I just assumed new members were welcomed.
Listen, I just have an interest in SFK and when I googled it, this website came up. If you look back, the SFK discussion started on page 11, well before my first post. I just wanted to raise some awareness and hoped that I could get some college-aged white men to raise their awareness level. From the PMs I've received today, I think I have, and so I will leave you to your sports discussions.
I can't even imagine the devastation of a parent losing the light of their life in such a way. College men need to start behaving more like the women...you are not indestructible...travel in groups, and watch what people are slipping into your drink. That's all. I hope they find Jon alive.

If I would have read this a few years ago, I would have laughed at you. But...Had a buddy that was a state wrestler and a freak athlete in 3 other sports that got jumped by 4 guys in Ames and completely got the crap kicked out of him after he left a party. Has had several surgeries to fix his face and I doubt he will ever recover from it from a psychological standpoint...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
new members are always welcomed, it is just unusual that one would join and make their entire first 6 posts about a missing persons case theory.

From this, it makes it sound like you just found CF while looking for more information about the SFK theory\case, but if you really were doing that, it makes it sound like you're not a cyclone fan. In which case, what's with the "CyPhy' username, other than trying to disguise yourself as one of us?

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
I'm not a 100% believer in the SFK theory but I did kind of research it a little after I heard about it on here about a year ago. The SFK investigators also claim graffiti besides smiley faces that tie a lot of these deaths together. I know one of the websites has a story of a guy calling family/friends and saying he was being chased by someone and they found him in a body of water, dead the next day or so. Like I said earlier, I've been intoxicated plenty in my life and never have I thought it would be a good idea to take a swim in my inebriated state and alone on top of that. Some of these guys are being found in rivers that are far away from where the victim originated.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
new members are always welcomed, it is just unusual that one would join and make their entire first 6 posts about a missing persons case theory.

From this, it makes it sound like you just found CF while looking for more information about the SFK theory\case, but if you really were doing that, it makes it sound like you're not a cyclone fan. In which case, what's with the "CyPhy' username, other than trying to disguise yourself as one of us?

Ya you might as well come up with something a little less obvious such as DJK or TarheelHawk:wink:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I hadn't heard of the SFK theory before I read it here a few days ago. I definitely feel as though these matters should be investigated and not discredited as tinfoil until more people look into it. Either way, to protect oneself from this supposed SFK you would need to stay in groups and be careful - things which will also help save you in the event of an accident or similar occurrence. I'm not saying that I believe in this SFK theory, but if I had a loved one go missing I would want all possible leads investigated.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
...but if I had a loved one go missing I would want all possible leads investigated.

Exactly.

With all due respect to the family and the ISU Community, I would hope that all clues and theories are pursued. I understand resources may have to be weighted towards the more traditional theories of missing persons. I also understand that looking at a problem in a unconventional way may lead to clues that help solve an unconventional mystery.

That said, I doubt Ames PD (and now the FBI) would want to discuss any "out of the ordinary" theories that may be pursued as it may cause even more wild speculation. That's fine - keep it out of the press, but be diligent about following all possible leads.