NCAA Seeding Discussion

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022
I'm going to throw out what I think will be an unpopular opinion.

but who knows

receiving at large bids after not placing in conference tournament

you should need to get on the podium to be considered

few examples

133 Bouzakis (ohio State) 23-9 on season was 3 seed @ Big 10
went 1-2 DNP
Lost to Teske of iowa who took 5th
lost to vandee of nebraska who took 4th

141 Cornella ( Cornell) 14-9 on season was 2 seed @ Eiwa
went 1-2 DNP
lost to 7 seed chappell of bucknell who placed 2nd
lost to 12 seed vasquez of penn who placed 5th

despite the season you had - you fell short by missing the podium at your conference event

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Initial thoughts looking at the brackets:
125- I don't see Kysen beating McKee, but he can beat the Army kid. His next match would likely be Barnett or Camacho, which honestly I like Kysen in either match there. To get to the R12, he'd probably have to beat Caleb Smith. Not the worst path for a 24 seed, but with Kysen's consistency he could easily go 0-2. Hopefully good Kysen shows up and makes a run.

133- I like Evan's path to the quarters. He is closing the gap on Fix, but I don't see him getting an upset in the tournament. His R12 match would probably be Farber, Van Dee, or a Cal Poly kid. Not the worst draw and I think Evan has a very realistic chance to AA this year.

141- Ech has the talent to win the whole thing. His 2nd round match might be tougher than his quarter final match, but I like him to get to the semis. Mendez is really damn good, but not unbeatable. I like Ech to place top 6 with a realistic chance at making the finals.

149- I like Casey's path to the quarters. Ridge is a beast (especially on top) and it will be critical for Casey to finish cleanly if he wants to win that match. I am not predicting a win there and see Casey going to the R12. To AA, I am guessing Casey will have to beat D'emilio (who he lost to earlier this year) or Kinner from Rider. I like Casey in either of those matches and think we have our 3rd AA of the tournament here.

157- I think the winner of the Chittum/Shapiro (assuming both win their first matches) ends up in the finals. If Cody loses that match, he has a pretty tough path to AA. First consi match is likely against a Lehigh kid, then Brayton Lee to get to the R12. His R12 match would likely be against Lewan (yawn) or Robb. My guess here is Chittum is either in the finals or doesn't AA.

165- He's going to have to beat the top guys anyway to take the title, why not go through Hamiti, O'Toole, and Mesenbrink. I think floor is 4th, ceiling is 1st.

174- I don't know much about MJ's first opponent, but I like how MJ is wrestling. Devos is tough, but I'd rather face Devos in the 2nd round instead of Ruth, Cstar, or Griffith (although he might not be healthy). I won't predict a win here though and see MJ dropping to the consis. His first consi round would likely be against either Maylor from Wisc or Turley from Rutgers. This is also a complete toss up. If he wins and gets to the R16, he'd likely have the 7 seed Wolak from Colombia or the 10 seed Incontrera from Penn. MJ wouldn't be a favorite in either, but also not the worst draw. His R12 match if he wins would probably be the Harvard kid or Griffith. Griffith has a bad knee, and the Harvard kid is beatable. Not predicting it, but I have seen tougher paths to AA than what MJ has.

184- Woof, don't love the draw here. If he wins his first match, he's not beating Keck. His first consi match would likely be against Heller (who beat Feldkamp earlier this year) or Rogotzke from Ohio State. Both tough matches. Win that and he'd have Wolf from Air Force or Berge from SDSU. I see a 1-2 or 2-2 tournament from Will. Hope he shocks me.

Hwt- Really wish he got the 1 seed, and this is probably the seed I am most upset about. I am expecting a tech in round 1, but then he will likely have Fernandes from Cornell in round 2 (who he only beat 6-3 earlier this year). Quarters I am guessing he has Davison (which was a close match in Las Vegas), and then a rematch with Hendrickson in the semis. I think Yonger wins the whole damn thing, but his draw will impact his ability to get bonus points for the Clones which will hurt our team score. Maybe Yonger proves me wrong, but it's not a great draw.

Overall most likely to least likely to AA in my opinion:
Bastida
Carr
Echemendia
Swiderski
Frost
Chittum
MJ
Feldkamp
Kysen

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
This is what I heard, coaches and fans want to complain, but no coaches want on the committee.

I think I would be in favor of keeping the matrix in place but put some wrestling pollsters on the seeding committee. They would need to follow the same barometers as currently set up to avoid favoritism.
Buf, is this a joke? The same barometers that has Yonger as the 2? Or are we talking for the committee?

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

but who knows

few examples

went 1-2 DNP

went 1-2 DNP

despite the season you had - you fell short by missing the podium at your conference event
I know you have to beat who is in front of you, but Bouzakis having to face Teske as a 14 seed had to be considered. Teske should have been at worst a 7 seed.

Also, Cornella may not even wrestle at NCAAs. I think he’s hurt pretty bad.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

but who knows

few examples

went 1-2 DNP

went 1-2 DNP

The B1G had more allocations, not to mention at larges, than podium spots at 50% of the weights.

I understand the sentiment, but it isn’t going to fly.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Jesus, sounds like a bunch of Hawk fans on here ******** and moaning. I mean, yeah 165/HWT were kind of inconsistent but it's not like the other guys are chumps. It was close. David doesn't care about 2nd place. He wants to win a NC and to do that he has to beat KOT and Mess. What order doesn't matter. Same can be said for Yonger. Let Kerk cruise to the finals and see what he experiences when YB hits the mat.

I don't mind most of our draws except 125 and 184. Honestly not expecting much out of those weights anyway. Chittum/Shapiro is really interesting to me. Both wrestle close matches, but Shapiro seems to win them and Cody seems to end up short. Need to flip the script there.

Reactions: buf87 and stuclone

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Jesus, sounds like a bunch of Hawk fans on here ******** and moaning. I mean, yeah 165/HWT were kind of inconsistent but it's not like the other guys are chumps. It was close. David doesn't care about 2nd place. He wants to win a NC and to do that he has to beat KOT and Mess. What order doesn't matter. Same can be said for Yonger. Let Kerk cruise to the finals and see what he experiences when YB hits the mat.

I don't mind most of our draws except 125 and 184. Honestly not expecting much out of those weights anyway. Chittum/Shapiro is really interesting to me. Both wrestle close matches, but Shapiro seems to win them and Cody seems to end up short. Need to flip the script there.
Who cares if fans complain about seeds? Our guys don’t care.

It’s just message board banter!

I know Frost is seeded correctly but I would have liked to see Crookham at the 1 seed for a few reasons.

1. He made the walk in the LeHigh/OSU dual and Fix did not.

2. He’s beaten the defending champ two times this year.

3. We’ve already seen Frost/Serrano and Fix!!

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Initial thoughts looking at the brackets:
125- I don't see Kysen beating McKee, but he can beat the Army kid. His next match would likely be Barnett or Camacho, which honestly I like Kysen in either match there. To get to the R12, he'd probably have to beat Caleb Smith. Not the worst path for a 24 seed, but with Kysen's consistency he could easily go 0-2. Hopefully good Kysen shows up and makes a run.

133- I like Evan's path to the quarters. He is closing the gap on Fix, but I don't see him getting an upset in the tournament. His R12 match would probably be Farber, Van Dee, or a Cal Poly kid. Not the worst draw and I think Evan has a very realistic chance to AA this year.

141- Ech has the talent to win the whole thing. His 2nd round match might be tougher than his quarter final match, but I like him to get to the semis. Mendez is really damn good, but not unbeatable. I like Ech to place top 6 with a realistic chance at making the finals.

149- I like Casey's path to the quarters. Ridge is a beast (especially on top) and it will be critical for Casey to finish cleanly if he wants to win that match. I am not predicting a win there and see Casey going to the R12. To AA, I am guessing Casey will have to beat D'emilio (who he lost to earlier this year) or Kinner from Rider. I like Casey in either of those matches and think we have our 3rd AA of the tournament here.

157- I think the winner of the Chittum/Shapiro (assuming both win their first matches) ends up in the finals. If Cody loses that match, he has a pretty tough path to AA. First consi match is likely against a Lehigh kid, then Brayton Lee to get to the R12. His R12 match would likely be against Lewan (yawn) or Robb. My guess here is Chittum is either in the finals or doesn't AA.

165- He's going to have to beat the top guys anyway to take the title, why not go through Hamiti, O'Toole, and Mesenbrink. I think floor is 4th, ceiling is 1st.

174- I don't know much about MJ's first opponent, but I like how MJ is wrestling. Devos is tough, but I'd rather face Devos in the 2nd round instead of Ruth, Cstar, or Griffith (although he might not be healthy). I won't predict a win here though and see MJ dropping to the consis. His first consi round would likely be against either Maylor from Wisc or Turley from Rutgers. This is also a complete toss up. If he wins and gets to the R16, he'd likely have the 7 seed Wolak from Colombia or the 10 seed Incontrera from Penn. MJ wouldn't be a favorite in either, but also not the worst draw. His R12 match if he wins would probably be the Harvard kid or Griffith. Griffith has a bad knee, and the Harvard kid is beatable. Not predicting it, but I have seen tougher paths to AA than what MJ has.

184- Woof, don't love the draw here. If he wins his first match, he's not beating Keck. His first consi match would likely be against Heller (who beat Feldkamp earlier this year) or Rogotzke from Ohio State. Both tough matches. Win that and he'd have Wolf from Air Force or Berge from SDSU. I see a 1-2 or 2-2 tournament from Will. Hope he shocks me.

Hwt- Really wish he got the 1 seed, and this is probably the seed I am most upset about. I am expecting a tech in round 1, but then he will likely have Fernandes from Cornell in round 2 (who he only beat 6-3 earlier this year). Quarters I am guessing he has Davison (which was a close match in Las Vegas), and then a rematch with Hendrickson in the semis. I think Yonger wins the whole damn thing, but his draw will impact his ability to get bonus points for the Clones which will hurt our team score. Maybe Yonger proves me wrong, but it's not a great draw.

Overall most likely to least likely to AA in my opinion:
Bastida
Carr
Echemendia
Swiderski
Frost
Chittum
MJ
Feldkamp
Kysen
Pretty good breakdown.

I’m going with Echemendia to the finals. I’m actually not too worried about Jack. Mendez is extremely tough, but I think his willingness to mix it up will help. Can see him getting to an upper body position which favors Ech.

Hvy I hate this draw the most too. I think it’s absolute BS that Yonger has Hendrickson again. Regarding Fernandez, that is a match Yonger needs to get bonus. There is a reason that guy is the 15 seed. Also Davison is tough and well coached. Do not overlook this match, there is upset potential here.

MJ and Frost both have favorable draws imo.

Chittum’s stinks too. Agree if he beats Shapiro he should make semis. If not, that is a tough backside.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Pretty good breakdown.

I’m going with Echemendia to the finals. I’m actually not too worried about Jack. Mendez is extremely tough, but I think his willingness to mix it up will help. Can see him getting to an upper body position which favors Ech.

Hvy I hate this draw the most too. I think it’s absolute BS that Yonger has Hendrickson again. Regarding Fernandez, that is a match Yonger needs to get bonus. There is a reason that guy is the 15 seed. Also Davison is tough and well coached. Do not overlook this match, there is upset potential here.

MJ and Frost both have favorable draws imo.

Chittum’s stinks too. Agree if he beats Andonian he should make semis. If not, that is a tough backside.
I also wish we didn’t have to see a Yonger/Wyatt rematch but I think Yonger handles Davison this time around.

I’m not 100% convinced that Davison beats Gadhiali.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
This is what I heard, coaches and fans want to complain, but no coaches want on the committee.

I think I would be in favor of keeping the matrix in place but put some wrestling pollsters on the seeding committee. They would need to follow the same barometers as currently set up to avoid favoritism.
Coaches are inherently biased. I don't see why they need to be involved. I could be wrong, but I do not think the seeding committee JP is on for MBB has coaches involved.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
A couple of early upset matches I’m keeping my eye on are

Teske/Crookham
Matthews/Bartlett
Chittum/Shapiro
Foca/Plott

I’m sure there are and will be plenty of others.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Not sure if serious, but someone like The Wrestling Nomad…someone who gets their absolute rocks off with seeding discussions and actually watches a **** ton of wrestling…wouldn’t be terrible.
Yes I am serious. Coaches are biased But also ADs don’t typically know crap about wrestling. Ironbird from the Hawkeye Report would be better.

Willie or Flo, or some committee made up of Flo, MatScouts, Intermat, etc. should seed. They know the most and watch the most.