157: Carr or Kraisser
165: Rojas or Carr
174: Devine or Broderson
184: Coleman
197: Bastida
Hwt: Schuyler or Schon

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Bit of a mindblower...Coleman is ISU's first AA at 184 pounds since 2008 (Varner).

2009-10 - Jerome Ward
2011 - Cole Shafer
2012-13 - Boaz Beard
2014-15 - Lelund Weatherspoon
2016 - Dane Pestano
2017-18 - no qualifier
2019 - Sam Colbray
2020 - Marcus Coleman
2021 - Sam Colbray

Reactions: CyNews

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Season ending thoughts:

125 - Kysen needs some serious off season work. The book has been written how to beat him. He will get to your leg, but if you grab an ankle, crotch lock, body lock on a low lift, or initiate a scramble you'll get a stalemate or score off his shot. Beating a dead horse but needs to work on finishing quickly, no sitting around and keeping his ankles clean on attacks.

133 - Disappointing ending for Ram, but he made strides towards the end. Still needs to work on getting to his offense. You can tell he improved on top this year. He will have to fight to keep his spot next year.

141 & 149 - First off every cyclone fan should be grateful for what these 2 have done for the program and leadership they have shown. With that being said the expectations for this year were never realistic from majority on this board. You can't take something they've done years ago, look at their current body of work this season and say you realistically expect them to AA. With the recruits coming in, it looks like we will grow at these weights.

157 - Not what he wanted, but wrestling back 6 or whatever matches straight to take 3rd shows the person he his. I think this loss helps him in the long run and maybe relieve some of that 4 timer legacy pressure I'm sure was building inside. I'm glad he gets to continue to lead our program for the next 2 years. Whatever weight he decides to go he will do great things.

165 - Rojas/Carr/Transfer?

174 - Rojas? Devine tries hard, but that only gets you so far. Struggles to create offense and gets stuck on bottom. He wrestles to keep it close and against better opponents that helped us during dual season. It sounds bad to say, but it truly did. That gets you nowhere come tournament time though and it shows. Not sure if Broderson is an improvement here if he's healthy. Too many head scratchers. Guessing this will be a hole next year unless Rojas shows he's ready to be the guy from Day 1.

184 - Big Coleman fan. I've believed in him through the ups and downs and put together a great tournament. Very proud of how he fought. If he can get his opponent moving he really opens his offense and he is best when his double is working. He also showed a great top game this year whether its a dominating ride or a quick crab ride cheap tilt. One improvement for next year is his occasional lapse of judgement where he's on bottom and will get tilted or get really sloppy on his finishes putting himself in danger. Glad he made his decision early on to come back and not have us sweating. Looking for big things for him next year.

197 - BIG TIME! Everyone knows the story here. If he can make a jump next year like he made this year we will see him on Saturday night. He is the best 197 in the country on his feet. Going down to start periods and developing a ride will go a long ways next year. In his interview he put the B12 on notice he will ride them next year lol.

HWT - Sam has been a great addition to the lineup this year. A contributing transfer who came in, did his job, filled the gap and deserves recognition for it. Going forward, I'm excited to see the Schon show.

Bonus: For the love of god when someone loses can we compose ourselves, have faith in the wrestlers and staff and look at the big picture of tournament scoring. This also might help keep some threads under 70 pages.

Already looking forward to the recruiting trail and next year. Hopeful for big steps in the near future, but having fun along the journey!

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I don't follow the recruiting as much as I used to. I'm aware Swiderski and Rojas are studs. Seems there are mixed expections for Cam Robinson. Don't know anything about Schon.

Could someone give me a macro level run down of the accolades (titles, significant wins) of the new guys we could be seeing in our lineup? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't follow the recruiting as much as I used to. I'm aware Swiderski and Rojas are studs. Seems there are mixed expections for Cam Robinson. Don't know anything about Schon.

Could someone give me a macro level run down of the accolades (titles, significant wins) of the new guys we could be seeing in our lineup? Thanks in advance.
Paniro Johnson is another name to remember.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Somehow I thought Coleman was a senior. That is awesome if he comes back.

So for starters, it looks like we are losing only Parker and Degen.

4everClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Ames
Somehow I thought Coleman was a senior. That is awesome if he comes back.

So for starters, it looks like we are losing only Parker and Degen.
Technically Coleman is a 5th year senior. But the Covid year last year doesn’t have to count and they can go one extra year. Degen and Parker used their Covid year this year…they started school one year before Coleman.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Truly enjoyed the NCAA’s this year. Great wrestling, super tough. As Dresser pointed out, one of the toughest due to the wide pool of athletes age-wise due to the COVID year.
Thursday was rough, Friday and Saturday were great. Friday and Saturday socials were fun, great to interact with the coaches and athletes.We have good people in the program.
Big Ian Parker fan, very nice kid and very hard worker. Excited he is staying at the RTC.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron