***NCAA Wrestling Championships (Thu.-Sat.)***

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
Truly enjoyed the NCAA’s this year. Great wrestling, super tough. As Dresser pointed out, one of the toughest due to the wide pool of athletes age-wise due to the COVID year.
Thursday was rough, Friday and Saturday were great. Friday and Saturday socials were fun, great to interact with the coaches and athletes.We have good people in the program.
Big Ian Parker fan, very nice kid and very hard worker. Excited he is staying at the RTC.
Good take, Matrat.

A lot to unpack from this season, trying to stay positive, and I agree, lots of good people in the program. I had a big long "War and Peace" about ready to fire, and it seemed too negative. So here is the Reader's Digest version:
1. In-season tourneys: Regardless of the Iowa dual, we must go to CKLV and another tournament just to be more prepared for tournament competition.
2. X's & O's: We are not always very tactically prepared for guys with weird, folkstyle savvy styles. This is not Iowa City and the 80's anymore, we can't just impose our toughness & will on the opponent. We need to acknowledge this is an athletic chess game and have our thoroughbreds coached up with a game plan. Scout & develop strategy.
3. RTC and Partners in the Room: got to be upgraded...Ian Parker beat DeSanto 4 years ago in Dresser's first dual. Who did we bring in to push him and make him better? An aging Joe Colon stopped by for a cup of coffee, but we have got to do better than that. Guys like David, Marcus, and even Bastida need someone that can beat their ass on a regular basis, so they make gains.
4. Culture: Those 3 negatives above being said, I do think the "team" culture, unity and buy-in is better across the board than the KJ era. I think with some further commitment to the RTC we can have partners that best prepare the college guys for the season. The way the team rallied around each other after the dumpster fire that was Thursday was admirable.
5. Toughness: We are flat out a very tough group. There were guys in this lineup that were clearly injured and still found ways to grind, compete, and alter their style a bit to keep us competitive for at least the dual part of the season.
6. The Future: it looks bright, if we can develop some guys to compliment our current core group, we can be a threat to not only be a great dual team but an excellent tournament team. Looking forward to the post Dresser Metcalf era with some other, younger blood in there to get better at the X's and O's.

Ok, 'nuff said, this is turning back into my novel and I meant to keep it short.

Long story short, not giving up on these Clones, but there is some hay to put in the barn this summer.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
To be clear, I meant the Metcalf era, which would be post Dresser. Perhaps that came off wrong.
You make good points.
2, 4 and 5 are all related. Metcalf did a good job articulating Saturday night, very respectfully, that 4 and particularly 5 were something that was much needed when this staff arrived. Toughness is required not just in matches, but to survive the training and commitment needed to be successful at the D1 level. Culture is needed for the same reason, as all athletes need a support system.
It takes longer to succeed, but I think culture and toughness are a great foundation which can be built upon. I think that builds a sustainable program as well. X’s and O’s are present and can evolve, and can be maximized with culture and toughness. I agree, scouting is essential.
Pepper that with a few super talents like David Carr, who also showed his toughness and team culture, then you get a consistent top 5 program.
Our coaches have great technique and wrestling knowledge. Things are going to continue improving.

Last edited:
Reactions: pancake

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Got a feeling guys won’t be wanting to choose down against Yonger next year

Two questions: What did David's bandana say that he wore after his placing match?

And how/where do you get that hat Yonger was wearing on the podium?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Off Yongers head. You man enough to take it?
Uhm.... no. I think that would end up looking a lot like this.

6Zuz.gif

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
Two questions: What did David's bandana say that he wore after his placing match?

And how/where do you get that hat Yonger was wearing on the podium?
Are you referring to the one David wore that said "prayer warrior?"

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Solid numbers. 2013 still holds the record with the Dake/Taylor final and that was 860k viewer for final.

Wrestling is growing though. Another 5 years could we push 1M+ for finals?
That’s key. More than the total number which seems solid the growth seems more important. Imagine what could happen if the team race is actually close some year?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It might be easier to push the whole thing back a few weeks. Competition starting after Thanksgiving and ending after NCAA basketball.
Do either. I don’t care. Exposure seems so much more important given where the sport is at. ******* ncaa…….

Reactions: wxman1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron