New Coach Prospects

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
maybe we should let macD coach marbles and tiddlywinks. ijust think the guy has limited basketball coaching skills.

bring in somebody like bobby knight for three years and let him develop a coach for us.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Re: Mac Defenders

You mean in 2000? For ONE season? Maybe 00-01 as well, when we were so "elite" we lost in the first round of the NCAAs.

This idea that ISU is some storied basketball progam.......??????? :no:

We have had ONE awesome season in about 100 years. And our fans somehow now think it's our destiny.

Heck, even Drake had more than one awesome season. We just want one more. Then HB went to UNC and it has to be this one.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It's a message board, and I still think it's "idiotic" to be planning a coaching search with so much more basketball yet to be played this season. I'm not saying people can't do it, just that I think it's idiotic and counterproductive. How does being a mod factor into it? Sometimes people read too much into what's next to their name.

Our biggest problem is we run into the buzzsaw so quickly with 3 games against the top two teams. That might be a major meltdown period.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I was ready to let Mac go a season or two ago along with Pollard. No one wanted to listen back then, and it seems a few are still holding Pollard close. Weird.

Replacement. I don't think Hoiberg will be lasting too much longer with the T'Wolves. Not sure if he would be a good coach, but where else could he get his feet wet and not have the fans turn on him for several seasons.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I was ready to let Mac go a season or two ago along with Pollard. No one wanted to listen back then, and it seems a few are still holding Pollard close. Weird.

Replacement. I don't think Hoiberg will be lasting too much longer with the T'Wolves. Not sure if he would be a good coach, but where else could he get his feet wet and not have the fans turn on him for several seasons.

Fred coaching ISU would remind me of Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. Not too shabby...

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
We can't front we were more successful under Morgan and probably would have got Stinson and crew from not trying to go pro either. We need another coach. The scheme he runs is horrible!! Why not go after Nolan Richardson or Matt Doughtery?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
We can't front we were more successful under Morgan and probably would have got Stinson and crew from not trying to go pro either. We need another coach. The scheme he runs is horrible!! Why not go after Nolan Richardson or Matt Doughtery?

I love the way Richardson had his teams play the game but I am not seeing that as a fit at ISU. Plus he is getting a little long in the tooth.

Matt Doherty...are you crazy. I have seen SMU play this year and they are not a very well coached team at all...let's put it this way...ISU would easily outrebound SMU. He is in his fourth year at SMU and my guess is that they are probably close to pulling the plug on him because they are not heading in the right direction at all.

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
I love the way Richardson had his teams play the game but I am not seeing that as a fit at ISU. Plus he is getting a little long in the tooth.

Matt Doherty...are you crazy. I have seen SMU play this year and they are not a very well coached team at all...let's put it this way...ISU would easily outrebound SMU. He is in his fourth year at SMU and my guess is that they are probably close to pulling the plug on him because they are not heading in the right direction at all.

He has them doing better than they have in the last 15 years. He did a pretty good job and UNC and I think he was canned too early. I would even want to throw in Ken McDonald (W. Kentucky) in the mix as well

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Re: Mac Defenders

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I'm tired of seeing people name-called and chastised for simply demanding excellence from our basketball program.

I think Coach Mac is a good human being and I hate to see anyone get fired, but this is IOWA STATE. That used to mean something when Johnny Orr and Hilton Magic put us on the map. It meant something 10 years ago when we were a legitimate national title contender.

We hit a huge roadblock when LE went a little nuts and brought negative attention to our program. The aftermath has not been pretty. But we are still IOWA STATE. We have the right to demand more than we're getting from this program because we have seen that it CAN be done here. Are you Mac defenders too young to remember when our basketball program was on the cusp of being elite? To defend the mediocrity of our program today is to not remember what it was and could still be. I have seen enough to believe that a change IS needed. This team has simply not been well-coached and you do not have to have a PhD to see it.

And don't blame Pollard. McDermott was a hot candidate when we got him. Even our friends to the east were salivating over him, although they'd never admit it today. How could he have known that it was not going to work out? Nobody did. But it hasn't, it's time to move on and I trust Jamie to make the right decision.

totally agree here.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
You bring back LE or TF....and we would sell out Hilton in a heartbeat for next year.

Seriously, can we stop with the "bring LE back" posts? How is he doing at Southern Miss? Have you checked their record? But I'm sure he'd do a lot better here.:biglaugh: Do you even remember the years after Tinsley left?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
He has them doing better than they have in the last 15 years. He did a pretty good job and UNC and I think he was canned too early. I would even want to throw in Ken McDonald (W. Kentucky) in the mix as well

Doherty was only 53-43 (23-25 in conference) at North Carolina with one NCAA (second round) and one NIT (quarterfinals) in three years. Look at what they did before him and what they have done after him.

At SMU he was 33-58 (10-38 in conference) after last season (his third). They won 14 games in year 1, 10 in year 2, and 9 in year 3. This year they are 5-8 (0-1) and their 5 wins were against Fla Gulf Coast, Huston-Tillotson, Texas St, Occidental, and Army.

He had one good season at ND (his only one there) and bolted for his alma mater. His first season there was solid but after that he has proven that the bloom has definitely fallen off his coaching rose.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Like I stated....we need a Bobby Knight style coach.....we want a coach that will discipline these kids...if they leave....screw them... let them play at intermurals

Ummm, isn't that one of the main problems with the McDermott era: players leaving? Your post makes no sense.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

******** on that one. We would hire Hoiberg about this time of year. Posters on this board will hype up how awesome a coach he is going to be and by the time the season starts will hype this team up to be Sweet 16 bound and then when we start losing a few he will get thrown under the bus. Guarantee it

And I like Hoiberg. I am not a GMAC apologist or crucifier either. Just stating the fact based on history

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
******** on that one. We would hire Hoiberg about this time of year. Posters on this board will hype up how awesome a coach he is going to be and by the time the season starts will hype this team up to be Sweet 16 bound and then when we start losing a few he will get thrown under the bus. Guarantee it

And I like Hoiberg. I am not a GMAC apologist or crucifier either. Just stating the fact based on history

I don't like where you idea goes, but history does say that this is how we roll.:sad:

Help Support Us

Become a patron