New Commit

H

HGPuck

Thats awesome news.....

But, i have to know, if it were someone that you didn't really have any info on, would you say this is a worthless get????

Say if it were a linebacker out of florida that you had never heard of and had zero stars, what would you think of him then???

After the last couple of days, i'm ready for just a decent player, nothing mind blowing like Bo Williams would be, but, a decent 3 star athlete would awesome!!!!

Hope your right Puck....

I generally put recruits into three categories in my mind based on what I see and read (mainly on rivals), none of which is worthless.:wink: The first is no star or lower to mid two star guys that are not as highly regarded and I dont get too excited about but there are always a couple that are very good suprises, the second is upper level two star guys that some feel are underrated or three star and maybe low four star guys that I get excited about and expect to see on the field in a meaningful way if everything works out, and the third is the guys that get you really excited (can't think of any off the top of my head in football but Fizer and Brackins come to mind in basketball). This guy is in the second group and if I had the choice of one of Gray, Graham, or this guy, this one would be my choice.

Cyclone44

Apr 11, 2006
I get a buzz out of most of the people that will put a spin on anything and everything. You can say drink the cyclone koolaid or whatever. Yes, I'm a cyclone fan, but not sold on this years recruiting. Say what you want about ratings of players and stars, but the better teams have the better ratings and more stars. When the average recruit is less than 2 for an average that says a lot. There is no way we can spin it. We have the worst Big 12 recruiting class by far. Couple that with last years class and we can truly be looking up from the bottom for a lot of years to come. Oh by the way, I think last years class was better than this class. So are recruits not buying the hipe of the new coach after the last season. I think the answer is that we are seeing no stars or two star recruits that are commiting now and some decommits. Not a good sign. I hope we have a truly good staff that coach their *** off as we will need it. It all boils down to the old question what comes first to turn a program around. Good recruits or winning with good coaching with less talent???? The schedule should help, but if you notice the teams we will be playing for the next two years are having way better recruiting classes than we are. Plus, we don't have an oil man giving millions to upgrade the facilities. Another point is that the North is all of a sudden 'tuff'. Pick the worst North team and compare our recruiting classes....... Pick the worst team in the South for that matter and compare our recruiting classes......It is going to get harder and harder to steal a win from any team in the Big 12, MAC, and or from the state of Iowa. I know this is a football thread, but I see similar things happening in basketball. Seems like we have to start over each year. Loose Jiri and Rashon next year and ??????? Lucca better be damn good......

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Does he have a realitive who would like to donate millions of $$$ to the athletic program. That would be a good get.

Thats too funny, i was just thinking about our friend.....founder of Hooters....i know it was founded in Clearwater Florida, oh yeah, who else is from Clearwater Florida...our head man.....

lennon3

Apr 11, 2006
It looks as if Joe Johnson from Valley has made a commitment to some school. If that is him I'm not sure if I view him on the same level as Gray or Graham...

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I get a buzz out of most of the people that will put a spin on anything and everything. You can say drink the cyclone koolaid or whatever. Yes, I'm a cyclone fan, but not sold on this years recruiting. Say what you want about ratings of players and stars, but the better teams have the better ratings and more stars. When the average recruit is less than 2 for an average that says a lot. There is no way we can spin it. We have the worst Big 12 recruiting class by far. Couple that with last years class and we can truly be looking up from the bottom for a lot of years to come. Oh by the way, I think last years class was better than this class. So are recruits not buying the hipe of the new coach after the last season. I think the answer is that we are seeing no stars or two star recruits that are commiting now and some decommits. Not a good sign. I hope we have a truly good staff that coach their *** off as we will need it. It all boils down to the old question what comes first to turn a program around. Good recruits or winning with good coaching with less talent???? The schedule should help, but if you notice the teams we will be playing for the next two years are having way better recruiting classes than we are. Plus, we don't have an oil man giving millions to upgrade the facilities. Another point is that the North is all of a sudden 'tuff'. Pick the worst North team and compare our recruiting classes....... Pick the worst team in the South for that matter and compare our recruiting classes......It is going to get harder and harder to steal a win from any team in the Big 12, MAC, and or from the state of Iowa. I know this is a football thread, but I see similar things happening in basketball. Seems like we have to start over each year. Loose Jiri and Rashon next year and ??????? Lucca better be damn good......

You sir have hit the nail on the head!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

I agree. Do you want to give a 5k donation and pay 1,500 dollars per seat to sit in the new luxury box. If we win 2 or 3 games again next year I would say I will never pay that much.

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
I agree he is a great get. I think all CycloneNation will be happy with this guy. Tons of potential and I wouldnt say he flew under the radar with some of the schools recruiting him. Nice work Chiz!!:yes:

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I get a buzz out of most of the people that will put a spin on anything and everything. You can say drink the cyclone koolaid or whatever. Yes, I'm a cyclone fan, but not sold on this years recruiting. Say what you want about ratings of players and stars, but the better teams have the better ratings and more stars. When the average recruit is less than 2 for an average that says a lot. There is no way we can spin it. We have the worst Big 12 recruiting class by far. ......

wow thats a mouthful for your third post....

Anyhow, i agree with 90% of what you say regarding our recruiting, and its been a huge topic on here for several weeks...But you hit the nail on the head...and i have been preaching the same as you...you have to be able to coach up lesser players unless your at the U or USC where you get recruits simply by name recognition.

But, you look at Uof Kansas recruiting classes since mangino took over in 2002, here's how their recruiting classes have turned out...
2002- 1-4*, 9-3*, 12-2*
2003- 2 4*, 14-3*, 11-2*
2004- 7-3*, 14-2*
2005- 2-4*, 16-3*, 10-2*
2006- 1-4*, 16-3*, 8-2*
2007- 1-4*, 13-3*, 9-2*
2008- 1-4*, 13-3*, 1-2*

I think that the recruiting success at UK is a measuring stick to build the program...remember though, had he not won this year, he would have been gone...now he's the coach of the year and sure to get a couple of commits because of it....

Have faith, i'm with you that i really hate to see us lose any recruits especially the 3* de...thats a position that will really be a weakness in a year or so...But, to take a floundering program to a higher level you may have to take a step back to move two steps forward.......

mojo

Apr 13, 2006
Manchester, NH

I understand what you're saying but i would have to disagree also, based solely on what you've written here I don't think you quite understand what it takes to bring a football program out of the gutter, its not a 1 or 2 year process. Also you have to take into account a lot of those 2 star prospects are never rated at all simply because rivals and/or scout.com don't have the resources or time to review every single prospect out there, a 2 star/40 rating simply means they have not been evaluated at all, and just because scout or rivals or whatever has not rated them does not mean they don't have talent or will not make an impact at the D-1 level. Same goes for basketball, you really think they are going to be able to rate every single high school or prep player in the nation and world wide? Also do you think they are going to get it right every time as well? Before you start knocking our recruiting classes and how talented they are or how many stars they lack, perhaps you should give them a fighting chance, perhaps we should give our coaches a full year to coach as well, they could surprise you!

Nov 22, 2006
wow thats a mouthful for your third post....

Anyhow, i agree with 90% of what you say regarding our recruiting, and its been a huge topic on here for several weeks...But you hit the nail on the head...and i have been preaching the same as you...you have to be able to coach up lesser players unless your at the U or USC where you get recruits simply by name recognition.

But, you look at Uof Kansas recruiting classes since mangino took over in 2002, here's how their recruiting classes have turned out...
2002- 1-4*, 9-3*, 12-2*
2003- 2 4*, 14-3*, 11-2*
2004- 7-3*, 14-2*
2005- 2-4*, 16-3*, 10-2*
2006- 1-4*, 16-3*, 8-2*
2007- 1-4*, 13-3*, 9-2*
2008- 1-4*, 13-3*, 1-2*

I think that the recruiting success at UK is a measuring stick to build the program...remember though, had he not won this year, he would have been gone...now he's the coach of the year and sure to get a couple of commits because of it....

Have faith, i'm with you that i really hate to see us lose any recruits especially the 3* de...thats a position that will really be a weakness in a year or so...But, to take a floundering program to a higher level you may have to take a step back to move two steps forward.......

Those recruiting classes are better than ours however. They have way more 3 stars than we tend to get

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Boise State won a BCS conference game last year with 1* and 2* kids coming out of high school. Never underestimate the power of a good stable coaching staff.

NoHawk4Life

Nov 7, 2007
Chi Town
Unfortunately I have been saying that since I played there... I saw/thought that when i was recruited and talked to... To me that also comes down to the school, as soon as ISU starts to think they have a dominate team(s) and try to promote more sports events and everything that goes along with it. That is when we will start to see things change.. I have been a cyclone for pretty much all of my life and "to me" the school has always portrayed them selves to more proud of the academics and Diversity,,, with sports that are a little less than average... instead of going the other way like most of the dominate bcs schools....

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This guy isn't exactly what I would call a recruit in a need position, but definitly helps building the program for the future.