Nigel's horrible take on 90's NBA

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What a bizarre but memorable series in hindsight.

Play that series 100 times and the Dubs win it 99 times.

Never thought I'd see a team win a championship because KEVIN LOVE d'ed up Curry.

Anybody who says they don’t like the nba didn’t watch that series or doesn’t actually like basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Lebron averaged 35min a game and 29 PPG last year and pretty similar this year so far. Jordan actually averaged 20PPG in his last season.

Lebron is killing people half his age
If you don’t think longevity science & nutrition is light years ahead of the 90s, I cant help you.
We just had Brady play in the NFL into his 40s.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I doubt that for the simple fact that if he had anything left in the tank he wouldn't have went to Washington. He went to one of the few places that were going to give him enough shots. Why didn't he end up with a playoff team? 20ppg shooting 43%
Sorry, I was referring to his first “retirement” before the second three-peat.

• Informative

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
So you’re agreeing LeBron is better?
No because Lebron has so many things at his disposal that couldn’t even been dreamed of back in Jordan’s days. So it’s an unfair comparison, compare their prime years side by side.
If Jordan was born in the 90s, I think he’d be at the top of the NBA no matter what.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Anybody who says they don’t like the nba didn’t watch that series or doesn’t actually like basketball.

I'm the definition of a casual NBA fan.

Never watches the regular season.

Will watch the playoffs starting about the conference finals.

Definitely watch the Finals.

Watch the draft/the "nexus" between college ball and NBA ball. Plus drafts are inherently fun.

Those Cavs/Dubs series were uniformly awesome. The one that Cavs won was probably the most exciting basketball I've ever seen in my life. Again -- KEVIN LOVE KEPT STEPH FROM GETTING A SHOT UP!

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
No because Lebron has so many things at his disposal that couldn’t even been dreamed of back in Jordan’s days. So it’s an unfair comparison, compare their prime years side by side.
If Jordan was born in the 90s, I think he’d be at the top of the NBA no matter what.
He'd be facing a lot tougher defenders than Craig Ehlo and Gerald Wilkins thats for sure.

• Dumb
Reactions: Halincandenza

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Jordan only played in 60 games his 1st year in Washington. He also wasn't over 40 like LeBron is now. He was a shell of his former self at even 38. I always thought his Wizards days were kind of sad.

Sixty is still more games than LeBron has played the previous three seasons. You're splitting hairs at 38, 39, or 40. Who gives a ****. But if that's the route you want to go, Jordan turned 39 during his second to last season. LeBron turned 39 in December.

• Winner
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Sixty is still more games than LeBron has played the previous three seasons. You're splitting hairs at 38, 39, or 40. Who gives a ****. But if that's the route you want to go, Jordan turned 39 during his second to last season. LeBron turned 39 in December.
4 years since you can't count. 27 may not be much different than 30, but 37 is hell of a lot different than 40 when your career is winding down. Was there no difference in Jordan at 33 compared to 36-37-38? **** yes there was. Jordan may have still made the all-star game but he wasn't even elite anymore at 38.

• Dumb

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
4 years since you can't count. 27 may not be much different than 30, but 37 is hell of a lot different than 40 when your career is winding down. Was there no difference in Jordan at 33 compared to 36-37-38? **** yes there was.
Can you admit that nutrition, medical science, & load management of today enabled LBJ to continue playing well into middle age?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Huh? Guys 6-10 have the ball handling and passing skills of guards nowadays. Did you ever see Karl Malone or David Robinson with the ball at the top of the key?
Some do.
Have you perchance heard of the players named Larry Bird Magic Johnson to name a couple?
Malone? Yes Robinson no.
There are lots of bigs today that don’t “guard skills”

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Still happened. LeBron and Jordan can both be good.
Yeah I just don’t really see a retirement after 9 years as being something in huge favor for Jordan. If it was 15 years in and THEN he came back and won 3, I feel like it would be more of a story. IMO it felt more like a year off during his prime rather than a Herculean return from retiring.

At any rate, I absolutely agree that both players are incredibly good. I also think the MJ vs LBJ for GOAT is a silly debate when they game is so different and they played different roles.

IMO MJ is the best scorer in the history of the NBA. LeBron is a 6’9” 250 pound freight train who happens to be able to play point guard and be top 5 in NBA history for PPG over 2 decades. Both are insanely good.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The goat argument for LBJ is this:
It's better to be an all star level player for a solid 20+ years than to be the best playoff performer of all time but have a much shorter career because you spent a few years playing in college, missed a season for injury, missed two seasons for earlier retirement, and retired early a second time before finally retiring permanently a third time.

He is the most productive player ever, but he's not the most clutch player ever. I don't get why people can't accept that unless it's just impossible to know unless you were old enough to see it all live. To me neither is really remotely debatable. The bar is so high that even that amazing series with the Cavs over GSW alone isn't enough.

If net productivity is what really matters so greatly and not just playoff dominance, we'd have all celebrated LBJ recently passing Kareem as the best player ever and MJ wouldn't have been a big part of this discussion. Karl Malone would have been in the discussion more than Michael Jordan was.

• Winner

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Can you admit that nutrition, medical science, & load management of today enabled LBJ to continue playing well into middle age?
I'm sure that has something to do with it. I don't see anyone in else in the NBA playing at that high of a level at 40+ like LeBron rhough. That isn't normal even for today in basketball.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
4 years since you can't count. 27 may not be much different than 30, but 37 is hell of a lot different than 40 when your career is winding down. Was there no difference in Jordan at 33 compared to 36-37-38? **** yes there was. Jordan may have still made the all-star game but he wasn't even elite anymore at 38.

A lot of rambling here. What is the 4 years reference?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
A lot of rambling here. What is the 4 years reference?
You said there was no difference what Jordan was doing the last few years he was in Washington vs what Lebron has done since he turned 40. Not only is Lebron older, he's still.playing at an MVP level. Jordan didn't do that much past 36.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
What I really wish would happen is a company like ESPN or Fox sports could put together a debate style show. They could play it in the mornings/afternoons before any games get started.

You could have a moderator/host with a couple former players and a journalist or two who has covered the league for years and they could debate each side Lebron or MJ? 90’s or current day. People get sick of highlights and hearing about actual games. This could be a year around content machine.

• Haha

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I'm sure that has something to do with it. I don't see anyone in else in the NBA playing at that high of a level at 40+ like LeBron rhough. That isn't normal even for today in basketball.
Oh I’m not arguing he’s not a freak of nature or that he’s not great. He’s both of those things! Jordan was also great & could have probably benefited from everything LBJ currently benefits from today, is all I’m saying. Which is why we can’t truly compare longevity as a measure of greatness between the two.

HFCS’s comment above is more my line of thinking when we compare LBJ to Jordan.