Nigel's horrible take on 90's NBA

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Can you admit that nutrition, medical science, & load management of today enabled LBJ to continue playing well into middle age?
He’s played the 2nd most minutes in NBA history. 15 thousand more minutes than Jordan has. That’s an extra 312 full NBA games or almost 4 more seasons.

Load management my ass.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
A lot of rambling here. What is the 4 years reference?

I think it's really cool LeBron is still playing and I hope he plays until he's 50. Even as a rookie I looked at him and thought he could practically play forever if he was willing to retool his game.

The greatest player of all time debate was settled around 10 years ago about 10-12 years into his career. He's chasing a different legacy now and I imagine he's just doing what makes him happy because he certainly doesn't have anything to prove.

Who are the best NBA players over 35 or over 38 is a totally different discussion we could have and I imagine LBJ is #1 in that different topic. MJ's legacy has very little to do with the Wizards years. Just like Joe Montana isn't remembered for his KC Chiefs legacy.

As an nba fanatic I haven't been comparing LBJ to MJ or any other all time greats for at least 5-6 years. It's actually more fun to watch Anthony Edwards and compare him to prime Kobe or MJ or to compare Gianis to prime LBJ.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You said there was no difference what Jordan was doing the last few years he was in Washington vs what Lebron has done since he turned 40. Not only is Lebron older, he's still.playing at an MVP level. Jordan didn't do that much past 36.

I said you're splitting hairs with guys approaching their 40s. For the second time, LeBron is still not 40. Jordan did play all 82 games in the season he turned 40.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
He’s played the 2nd most minutes in NBA history. 15 thousand more minutes than Jordan has. That’s an extra 312 full NBA games or almost 4 more seasons.

Load management my ass.
Are you going to ignore the nutrition & medical/exercise science part of that statement? Or are you only going to single one thing out that supports your argument?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Are you going to ignore the nutrition & medical/exercise science part of that statement? Or are you only going to single one thing out that supports your argument?
Are you gonna agree that you think LeBron is better or are you gonna just make excuses for Jordan? The whole argument stemmed from athletes these days are just better in general and you obviously agree with the science part but don’t want to admit it out loud.

Prime LeBron vs Prime Jordan wouldn’t even be close. LeBron would steamroll him

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Some of you may have missed this but sounds like you'd enjoy it.

They had LeBron mic'd up at the All Star game this year and he was telling stories to the guys on the bench about all the players he played with in his first all star game. He was telling them all about how awesome it was playing with Iverson, Kobe, Vince Carter, KG, Duncan and Grant Hill.

LeBron himself absolutely thinks the world of the players genZ kids think sucked in order to try to build him up.

It was kind of like a time machine, he's talking about 19 years ago, guys who played 25ish years ago. Lillard was also mic'd up and couldn't believe he was the second oldest player and he's like a decade younger than LeBron.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Are you gonna agree that you think LeBron is better or are you gonna just make excuses for Jordan? The whole argument stemmed from athletes these days are just better in general and you obviously agree with the science part but don’t want to admit it out loud.

I'm not sure either could defend the other.

Jordan has the same wingspan as LeBron and similar vert in their prime. It wouldn't be like when prime LeBron amazingly defended Rose whom he had nearly a foot on. Impressive as that was, give DRose an extra 6 inches of height/wing span and maybe it's a different story.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm not sure either could defend the other.

Jordan has the same wingspan as LeBron and similar vert in their prime. It wouldn't be like when prime LeBron amazingly defended Rose whom he had nearly a foot on. Impressive as that was, give DRose an extra 6 inches of height/wing span and maybe it's a different story.
Wouldn’t we all like another 6 inches?

Reactions: HFCS

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

No, I don’t think LBJ is a better clutch player than Jordan, which is why Jordan is the goat to me. Also I’m only 31 so LBJ is mostly my era of watching NBA, not MJ.

HFCS just laid out GOAT arguments for both above, which is what I believe as well.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
LeBron James is astronomically better at going to the rim than Magic Johnson. JFC it's not even close.

That’s true, the Magic Johnson comp is wrong in the 80s Lebron would have been a power forward. He never would have had the opportunity to play on the ball. Probably would have been more like Larry Johnson.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Jordan only played in 60 games his 1st year in Washington. He also wasn't over 40 like LeBron is now. He was a shell of his former self at even 38. I always thought his Wizards days were kind of sad.
He was pretty good for the first ~half of this year, wasn't Air Jordan anymore but he averaged about 25 ppg in his 39th year of life. Scored 51 points in a game then 45 points in the very next game. About a week after that he had a run of 29-30-40-41-32-26-28. He could still fill it up. He got a pretty serious knee injury then and never really fully recovered.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
6-0 my ass.

It took him 7 years to get to the finals. Meanwhile LeBron dragged a team as a 21/22 year old to the finals. Lebron almost beat the Warriors with Matthew Dellavedova as the second best player on his team.

Jordan is a fraud and the 90s as a whole is an overrated era.

Saying Jordan is a fraud makes anything you say irrelevant. You can dislike him and think Lebron is better, but even if Lebron is #1 to you, if Jordan isn’t #2 you don’t know basketball.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I would also mention that analytically speaking the last several years have some of the worst rated champs of all time. Nuggets, Warriors, Bucks and Lakers all rate pretty low.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Only 2 or 3 of those guys are threats to shoot. Pack the lane.

They won't be able to handle the pick and pop that happens in the NBA today. 3>2

100% of those guys had incredible mid range game (minus Shaq), probably better than today’s stars. Malone mid range j was like a free throw. A lot of those guys were as good or better than anyone today at pick and roll.

In this era they’d be better long range shooters. Today’s stars in the 80s/90s would be better mid range and going off glass.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
100% of those guys had incredible mid range game (minus Shaq), probably better than today’s stars. Malone mid range j was like a free throw. A lot of those guys were as good or better than anyone today at pick and roll.

In this era they’d be better long range shooters. Today’s stars in the 80s/90s would be better mid range and going off glass.
The post wasn't about what they would be today. He said that those players would win in a blowout. That's just absurd and romanticizing the past.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The post wasn't about what they would be today. He said that those players would win in a blowout. That's just absurd and romanticizing the past.

Yeah, I agree with you there but the flip side is true, those players wouldn't get destroyed by pick and pop, they're just as skilled and would be focusing on the same skills at the same time. Anthony Davis and Embiid aren't significantly more or less talented than Malone or Hakeem. I've said many times I don't think the American players now are any better or worse than 80s/90s, they just focus on different skills and have some training/medical advantages now. Overall the NBA is more talented because you've got outrageously good international stars at a dramatically higher rate. It's not that different than looking at MLB before and after integration and before and after international players, the American born players don't have to get way better for the overall talent to be way better.

Even a guy like Hakeem, technically he's a foreign player, he played for the first time at 15 and spent two seasons at Houston (college) redshirting and barely playing. Imagine if he had been developed earlier the way some players in Africa are just starting to now. Then look at Doncic and Jokic who developed in Europe from a young age and in some ways maybe had a superior developmental cycle to American hs/aau/college players. That doesn't mean Anthony Edwards is more athletic or gifted than Dominique Wilkins (is anyone more athletic than that?)...but it means Edwards has more top level competition to fight off.