MLB: ***Official 2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I guess we'll see how it works out, and I can see both sides, but I'm honestly surprised that so many people are against this move.

Again, Im not against him not being here next year, Im against letting him walk away with nothing in return. There has to be more to this. It makes zero sense.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I agree with this. However, in a offseason where starting pitching FA depth is horrid, you DO NOT let him walk.

Right, the Cubs were super lucky with their starting pitcher health last year, with only Lackey having a DL stint, and that was one he probably only took because the Cubs could be proactive with the division already basically wrapped up. It's real nice to have a guy like Montgomery or Hammel in the pen who can step in and start effectively if there is an injury. So you're not looking at something like the Roach/Wada/Beeler/Richards fifth starter rotation we had two years ago.

With that said, I'm sure the front office already has plans to acquire more starting pitching depth so we'll see how this plays out, but it's odd to see a team let a guy who was as productive as Hammel last year walk with a very reasonable team option available.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Theo has always been a players first guy.

I wouldn't be shocked if Hammel asked to be released thinking he can make more money in free agency and Theo granted it.

That being said, MLB Trade Rumors recently came out with a Cub-related article in which it discussed how bad (and its bad) the Cubs pitching situation is after next year.

I like the idea of Montgomery taking a starting role - he can pitch.

I also have a feeling the Cubs will take a run at a young starting pitcher and give up 2-3 top prospects for him.

I could also see the Cubs try and trade Soler and maybe one top prospect for Sunny Gray. A's were willing to trade him but demanded too much - ended up having a God awful year this year.

This would also make more sense. Like I said, there has to be more to this.

• Informative
Reactions: Incyte

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Cubs gave Fowler a qualifying offer, meaning he has the chance to make $17.2 million for the next year.

Smart move, IMO, by the Cubs. Have a lot of money to burn and nothing glaring to burn it on. Might as well offer the dude a one year contract and if he turns it down we get a draft pick.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I really want Fowler to stick around, but damn that is a crowded outfield.

I am guessing we Soler moved this offseason if there are any takers. Will give Almora more reps in the OF and let Schwarber develop.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
RIP Greatest thread ever...

raw

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Good defense. It'll be interesting to see how many starts he gets at each position with the outfield we have.