NBA: ***Official 2017-2018 Playoffs Thread***

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I guess the top tier of Iowans who played in the NBA would be (in no particular order) - Korver, Lafrentz, Barnes, and Hinrich. No All Star appearances or All-NBA teams for any of them but Barnes has a ring, so if that's the tiebreaker then Barnes has had the best career. At his current pace he'll pretty easily have the best career numbers of any of them.
Korver played in the 2015 all-star game when he was with Atlanta. He had 21 points off the bench too.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/allstar/NBA_2015.html

Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If Durant and LeBron both opt out and then team up in LA the Lakers will win the title. Unstoppable. How crazy would it be if they teamed up?

It'd immediately make them serious contenders, but who's the third best guy on that team? Brandon Ingram? Lonzo Ball? Kyle Kuzma? Even with the two best in the world that's not much depth to stack up against the Warriors or the Celtics at full strength.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
One name I haven’t even brought up is Kawhi Leonard. What if the Lakers or 76ers add LeBron and PG13 then trade for Kawhi? Then get 3/D guys and cheap talent (young or ring-chasers).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
One name I haven’t even brought up is Kawhi Leonard. What if the Lakers or 76ers add LeBron and PG13 then trade for Kawhi? Then get 3/D guys and cheap talent (young or ring-chasers).

I think PG is headed to LA with or without Lebron. It's been the worst kept secret in the league since last season. Yeah, the Kawhi Leonard situation is weird. My takeaway is that the rift isn't between Leonard and the Spurs, but between someone in his camp and the Spurs. I think Pop will eventually talk him down and it'll be business as usual in San Antonio, but if it comes to a trade then I can't see the Spurs dealing him to another team in the West. And the only way he goes east is if a team absolutely blows the Spurs away. And the only team in the East with the assets to do that is...wait for it...Boston.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Chris Bosh was on Colin Cowherd today and he says LeBron will end up in Houston and it will be like The Avengers Infinity War with Golden State and Houston.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think PG is headed to LA with or without Lebron. It's been the worst kept secret in the league since last season. Yeah, the Kawhi Leonard situation is weird. My takeaway is that the rift isn't between Leonard and the Spurs, but between someone in his camp and the Spurs. I think Pop will eventually talk him down and it'll be business as usual in San Antonio, but if it comes to a trade then I can't see the Spurs dealing him to another team in the West. And the only way he goes east is if a team absolutely blows the Spurs away. And the only team in the East with the assets to do that is...wait for it...Boston.

If I was Boston I would start at Kyrie for Kawhi straight up. Kyrie is nice and a guy the Spurs can build around but you have to hide him defensively. If I can go with a huge, versatile line up of Brown, Tatum, Heyward, Kawhi and Horford, that's going to be tough to beat. Long as hell, can switch everything, enough ball handling and shooting all over to make up for no pg

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If I was Boston I would start at Kyrie for Kawhi straight up. Kyrie is nice and a guy the Spurs can build around but you have to hide him defensively. If I can go with a huge, versatile line up of Brown, Tatum, Heyward, Kawhi and Horford, that's going to be tough to beat. Long as hell, can switch everything, enough ball handling and shooting all over to make up for no pg

It's a good start, especially if there's no guarantee that Kawhi is willing to commit to Boston beyond next season. But otherwise I'd counter with Kawhi for Kyrie and the Kings pick next year. Steep price, but assuming Kawhi Leonard is healthy and willing to sign long term Boston is getting a guy who at his best is a legit MVP candidate. Kyrie is a great offensive threat and it's tough to part with what will probably be a top five pick next year, but you're right. The chance to roll out a super switchy lineup of Kawhi, Tatum, Brown, Heyward, and Horford is too tempting. That's a starting five that can capably guard any team in the league, including the Warriors.

But like I said above, I don't think Kawhi is ultimately going anywhere. I think Pop will be able to smooth things over.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJack13

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
It's a good start, especially if there's no guarantee that Kawhi is willing to commit to Boston beyond next season. But otherwise I'd counter with Kawhi for Kyrie and the Kings pick next year. Steep price, but assuming Kawhi Leonard is healthy and willing to sign long term Boston is getting a guy who at his best is a legit MVP candidate. Kyrie is a great offensive threat and it's tough to part with what will probably be a top five pick next year, but you're right. The chance to roll out a super switchy lineup of Kawhi, Tatum, Brown, Heyward, and Horford is too tempting. That's a starting five that can capably guard any team in the league, including the Warriors.

But like I said above, I don't think Kawhi is ultimately going anywhere. I think Pop will be able to smooth things over.

I agree that Kawhi most likely doesn't get traded, but it's fun to think about. And Boston has a lot of options moving forward, all of them very good ones. I would love to see that lineup together though, you wouldn't be able to hide small or poor defenders anywhere, and it would be really hard to get Boston into a mismatch on the other end with so much versatility. And Boston is at the same point as Houston right now, every move they make has to be with the Warriors in mind.

Kawhi falling out with Jordan brand too makes this situation even stranger for me, it's not just the Spurs organization. He seems to be pulling back from all of his basketball obligations.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I agree that Kawhi most likely doesn't get traded, but it's fun to think about. And Boston has a lot of options moving forward, all of them very good ones. I would love to see that lineup together though, you wouldn't be able to hide small or poor defenders anywhere, and it would be really hard to get Boston into a mismatch on the other end with so much versatility. And Boston is at the same point as Houston right now, every move they make has to be with the Warriors in mind.

Kawhi falling out with Jordan brand too makes this situation even stranger for me, it's not just the Spurs organization. He seems to be pulling back from all of his basketball obligations.

It is weird. I think he's getting some really bad advice from someone in his inner circle. For a guy who has never indicated much of an interest in brand building this last year has been a strange turn.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Can some of the Lebron fans please comment on his injured hand and the cast/brace he's wearing in the post game presser?

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/06/ch...ne-who-says-lebron-is-equal-to-michael-jordan

sorry haven't read anything on this thread. \

Anyone under 30 yrs old has zero clue how great Jordan was, as they prefer Lebron instead. Jordan's talents and intangibles were unmatched.

I agree with Barkley here. Jordan came into the league ready-made...... "a man"

Lebron a head case for a few years, and reverts back to his old demeanor--like during Game 4

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/06/ch...ne-who-says-lebron-is-equal-to-michael-jordan

Anyone under 30 yrs old has zero clue how great Jordan was, as they prefer Lebron instead. Jordan's talents and intangibles were unmatched.

Lebron a head case for a few years, and reverts back to his old demeanor--like during Game 4

I am old enough to remember Jordan. He is the greatest of all time - but he wouldn't be if he didn't have Pippen as the sidekick that helped him win 6 titles.

And while I don't think LeBron is better than Jordan, stating that he's not in the conversation is ridiculous. The only times Jordan ever played on a team as bad as this Cavs team was his rookie year and the year he played with the Wizards when he was 40 years old. Meanwhile LeBron dragged this worthless Cavs team (that will be lucky to win 20 games next year when LeBron is playing elsewhere) to the Finals and nearly single-handedly won Game 1 by himself, J.R. being J.R costing them the game.

And those that think LeBron is barely a top 5 player (as in Kobe and Wilt were better) don't even deserve a seat in this converstaion.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Jordan could do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, to whoever he wanted. James bulls his way to the basket and cries to the refs too much IMO. I don't care if Lebron is bigger than Jordan. Jordan was just better. Especially mentally. Take two teams. Give each team 4 of the exact same players. Give one team Jordan. Give one team Lebron. Jordan wins the series. Every time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron