***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agreed. He's more of a physical, scrappy, post.

He has value, but he's not going to take anyone off the dribble, or be a huge 3 point threat.
He'll never be a point-forward, but he easily could become a stretch four or five. He's got a good enough 3P shot. Imo he'll be a force down low but still be able to stretch the defense like Vitto Brown.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Solomon Young is not a stretch 4! Never will be. Nothing like Niang.

Agreed. He's more of a physical, scrappy, post.

He has value, but he's not going to take anyone off the dribble, or be a huge 3 point threat.

Why not? I think he can be just like (or at least similar to) Cameron Oliver or Caleb Swanigan if he works on his 3 point shot...and he already has a good looking 3 point shot. He just didn't need to shoot it this year because there were enough 3 point shooters

Swanigan was the player he was this year because he improved his 3 point shot so much. Young could do the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Why not? I think he can be just like (or at least similar to) Cameron Oliver or Caleb Swanigan if he works on his 3 point shot...and he already has a good looking 3 point shot. He just didn't need to shoot it this year because there were enough 3 point shooters

Swanigan was the player he was this year because he improved his 3 point shot so much. Young could do the same thing.

I agree 100%. It's hard to find a 6 foot 8 250 pound forward who has a nice stroke. You are crazy not to take advantage of that. Young will continue to work on his jumper I think he and Wigginton could be lethal in the pick and pop game in years to come. Of course his bread and butter will be around the basket with his ridiculous frame but he has the ability to be a well-rounded player rather than solely a bruiser in the paint.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This year will be a good test to see if Prohm can recruit transfers.

A fairly deep pool is shaping up, and we can easily sell immediately playing time (likely starter).

I think Prohm and staff have already done well w/ the 2017 class.

Juiston is going to be the difference between rebuilding and reloading.

The other three spots remaining seem to have plenty of candidates available.
I'd go w/
2) Grad Transfer or Juco Wing w/ range (fills Lewis' future roll)
3) sit and play transfer PG (competes w/ McNeill for PT)
4) Grad Transfer stretch 4 w/ range. (Juiston's Backup)

Thompson's skill level warrants immediate PT, could see him on the floor w/ Juiston as 3/4 combo.
Moss also a year one starter, getting him would most likely cause Wigginton to play at least some at the point to maximize time for our best five.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think Prohm and staff have already done well w/ the 2017 class.

Juiston is going to be the difference between rebuilding and reloading.

The other three spots remaining seem to have plenty of candidates available.
I'd go w/
2) Grad Transfer or Juco Wing w/ range (fills Lewis' future roll)
3) sit and play transfer PG (competes w/ McNeill for PT)
4) Grad Transfer stretch 4 w/ range. (Juiston's Backup)

Thompson's skill level warrants immediate PT, could see him on the floor w/ Juiston as 3/4 combo.
Moss also a year one starter, getting him would most likely cause Wigginton to play at least some at the point to maximize time for our best five.

I was talking about transfer recruiting not HS.

In a normal year this would be a great class however given how big our losses are, we still need to find some talent to offset all the losses or at least build our pipeline.

Ajg515

Nov 17, 2016
Des Moines
King former 4 Star out of Memphis. Not to much production in college though.

@GoodmanESPN Alabama’s Nick King and Brandon Austin both transferring, sources confirmed to ESPN.
This dude looks like the polished version of Juiston. Skip him straight to the front of my wishlist.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
This dude looks like the polished version of Juiston. Skip him straight to the front of my wishlist.

Not completely disagreeing with you because JUCO kids can be a crap shoot, but a guy who's already played at two schools and has career numbers of 5.7ppg and 3.9 rpg looks more polished to you than Juiston? Not trying to be flippant, just curious your reasoning.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He has a great looking three point shot. Would have to work on his ability to dribble drive for sure, but the kid is talented. He could turn into that.

The problem is he can't guard today's 4s so he'd have to be as good offensively as Niang. I just don't see that happening except when you play teams with 2 big guys.

Ajg515

Nov 17, 2016
Des Moines
Not completely disagreeing with you because JUCO kids can be a crap shoot, but a guy who's already played at two schools and has career numbers of 5.7ppg and 3.9 rpg looks more polished to you than Juiston? Not trying to be flippant, just curious your reasoning.
Go watch his highlight tape on YouTube. First off, his jumper is pretty impressive. Second, they show a ton of footage of him not even scoring but taking contact and rebounding like a mad man, as well as battling defensively against much larger opponents on the block and acquitting himself quite well. Memphis has been a garbage fire, career numbers aren't everything. King def had the higher pedigree initially, not saying Juiston can't be a similar player or even a better player and maybe it's cookie cutter reasoning, but I'd prefer the higher pedigree.

**EDIT: King is transferring from Alabama, but was previously at Memphis.

IMO if Prohm can get Nader and Burton (not to mention Bowie, and what we've already seen with Young) to take such large steps forward in such a small amount of time, he's good at developing players period.. not just underrated guards. I also think he and Coach Berry are actually better talent evaluators than we've had in the past (trust me, I'm not looking for a Holden/Bowie arguement to be made to me on this point so save it) , so I'll be happy to watch and enjoy the development of whoever it is they get.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Go watch his highlight tape on YouTube. First off, his jumper is pretty impressive. Second, they show a ton of footage of him not even scoring but taking contact and rebounding like a mad man, as well as battling defensively against much larger opponents on the block and acquitting himself quite well. Memphis has been a garbage fire, career numbers aren't everything. King def had the higher pedigree initially, not saying Juiston can't be a similar player or even a better player and maybe it's cookie cutter reasoning, but I'd prefer the higher pedigree.

**EDIT: King is transferring from Alabama, but was previously at Memphis.

IMO if Prohm can get Nader and Burton (not to mention Bowie, and what we've already seen with Young) to take such large steps forward in such a small amount of time, he's good at developing players period.. not just underrated guards. I also think he and Coach Berry are actually better talent evaluators than we've had in the past (trust me, I'm not looking for a Holden/Bowie arguement to be made to me on this point so save it) , so I'll be happy to watch and enjoy the development of whoever it is they get.

Fair points. King did miss almost entire year this season at Bama with a lung infection so you bring up a good point on career numbers. Kid is originally from Memphis, TN so maybe our staff has some connections to get more info / gauge interest.

Reactions: Ajg515

Help Support Us

Become a patron