***Official 2020-2021 Transfer Thread***

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
@Thompsonclone

I hear you my friend. Watching Prohm's team has you down. I myself never watched a full game after December. I know you did and so you may have more rights to be upset.

We need a complete renovation to this program. We need an identity, similar to what CMC put in. COTZ needs system guys to show elite talent like Foster and Hunter (hopefully) what buying in looks like. Need some gym rats who want the team to thrive. Not just get shots up to help their potential pro careers

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
His first and second (rumored) addition don’t get me hyped up to watch Iowa State Basketball. You go 0-18 and never want to live through that again so you hope for a huge upgrade in talent and so far I don’t see it. Thankfully it’s early and there’s still open scholarships to make a splash.
It’s been rumored that TJ was going to have 6 spots to fill (that’s if everyone who’s rumored to leave does and Hunter comes). So, with the additions of Jazz and *potentially* Grill, TJ is still going to have 4 spots open.

So far TJ has gotten two guys that are decent 3 point shooters but extremely hard workers. I think both will be great guys to have for the culture of the team. Now, if TJ ends up getting 4 more guys with similar production at their past school, I’ll be concerned. Lol

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
So the CF premium board has a rumor that Rasir is now transferring? My coworker said so yesterday. Why did he put out the social media post about staying? What changed? If this was legitimate. Wouldn't it have made its way to the free boards?
I see that people here have a hard time understanding what “premium content” means. And what changed is the coaching staff.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So the CF premium board has a rumor that Rasir is now transferring? My coworker said so yesterday. Why did he put out the social media post about staying? What changed? If this was legitimate. Wouldn't it have made its way to the free boards?
It’s been rumored on here for about a week I’d say. I’d also take a guess a shot in the dark and say maybe he spoke out too early when putting out that social media message? I mean I don’t even think Prohm was officially fired yet right? A lot could’ve changed since then.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
TJ definitely likes Caleb. He led the Rebels in minutes played and the roster included Jenkins who was a Summit League 1st Teamer under TJ at SDSU.

One thing that seems to be overlooked is Caleb is athletic and great hops for a 6'3" kid. Grill shot 34% from 3. No guarantees, but with 3 years to play would not surprise me if he isn't a 40% 3 point shooter in a couple years. He also had a quick release in UNLV games I watched and wasn't shy about shooting.

IMO comparing sophomore Matt Thomas to sophomore Caleb Grill isn't too far off and I think Caleb is quicker and a better jumper.

That 1st teamer under TJ went south at UNLV so let's not bring that here. Was told that by the "in the know" crowd when rationalizing the reason why UNLV struggled this year. It was because TJ ran off three real good players they could have used to make room for his players and his players didn't quite live up to their billing.

• Dumb
Reactions: Halincandenza

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That 1st teamer under TJ went south at UNLV so let's not bring that here. Was told that by the "in the know" crowd when rationalizing the reason why UNLV struggled this year. It was because TJ ran off three real good players they could have used to make room for his players and his players didn't quite live up to their billing.
He’s not bringing Jenkins here and trying to pin Jenkin’s issues he developed last year on TJ is interesting when there were some much larger factors involved: COVID, moving from South Dakota to Las Vegas, etc.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Looks like it just did. Smdh

Reactions: Hayes30

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
He’s not bringing Jenkins here and trying to pin Jenkin’s issues he developed last year on TJ is interesting when there were some much larger factors involved: COVID, moving from South Dakota to Las Vegas, etc.

I'm not pinning anything on anyone. It's what we were told. And what is even more interesting, had Jenkins become First Team All MWC I am %150 sure any and all of Jenkins success would have been pinned to....and only to TJ. You know, sort of like this:

and the roster included Jenkins who was a Summit League 1st Teamer under TJ at SDSU.

So it's okay to drop the pose on how bad UNLV and TJ and his players were adversely affected by protocols and restrictions........moving.........and whatever else can be made up. He has the job.

str8cashhomie

Jun 15, 2014
He didn’t do it a ton but Thomas could actually dribble. Are we watching the same Grill to even begin putting the two players in the same category?

“But guys, Matt Thomas also wasn’t great as a FR and SO.”

Well yeah but he was on two great teams playing behind some of the most talent ISU has ever had. Those rosters were stacked. Grill wouldn’t have seen the floor at all those first 2 years.
IMO the Matt Thomas comparisons can be a little lazy and are usually because they're both white, but the Naz mold seems to be more appropriate. Naz didn't see the floor at all his freshman year, had broken into the rotation sophomore year but still came off the bench, and only really put it together once he could start putting it on the floor enough to get downhill to the rim, because he was always more of an athlete/slasher than Thomas was a spot up guy.

str8cashhomie

Jun 15, 2014
He didn’t do it a ton but Thomas could actually dribble. Are we watching the same Grill to even begin putting the two players in the same category?

“But guys, Matt Thomas also wasn’t great as a FR and SO.”

Well yeah but he was on two great teams playing behind some of the most talent ISU has ever had. Those rosters were stacked. Grill wouldn’t have seen the floor at all those first 2 years.
IMO the Matt Thomas comparisons can be a little lazy and are usually because they're both white, but the Naz mold seems to be more appropriate. Naz didn't see the floor at all his freshman year, had broken into the rotation sophomore year but still came off the bench, and only really put it together once he could start putting it on the floor enough to get downhill to the rim, because he was always more of an athlete/slasher than Thomas was a spot up guy.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Matt was a different level player than Grill is. We just need to except that. Grill is a 7th/8th man type player and my concern with TJ bringing him back is he’ll probably start him. He’s not a B12 level starter like Thomas was as a JR/SR. Did Thomas struggle as a FR/SO? Yes he did, but it’s entirely different coming into college and trying to make an impact right away on good teams than it is to be thrown out there and bad teams like Grill has been on. Clearly this board loves Grill so I’ll keep my mouth shut.

So either 1) you’re a better evaluator of talent than TJ, or 2) he’s an idiot that will knowingly choose start an inferior player against his own best interests? It seems like we’ve run out of things to complain about and are conjuring them now (I know, I know, message board...). IF Grill comes back, not knowing what the rest of the roster will look like, I’d expect him to come off the bench.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Yeah so far south.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210326-080318_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210326-080318_Samsung Internet.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 72

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would welcome Grill if TJ thinks it’s a good fit and he wants to be here. The hardest part about turning a program around is getting your team to buy into the new culture you need to succeed. I have to imagine TJ would value Grill because he clearly believes in what his vision is for his teams, otherwise he wouldn’t have followed him like he has.

I think Grill could be a role player for us that also helps to move our program in the right direction. Some of you seem to think we’re going to get a bunch of MacDonalds AAs coming off a winless conference season and are going to be severely disappointed. I think a realistic goal will be 6-8 wins with a solid group of players that we can build with going forward.

Coach Campbell had to do the same thing his first couple years and some panicked because some poor fitting talented players didn’t want to buy in. Sucked to see people leave but the payoff has been amazing and hindsight is 20-20.

The thing that message boards usually miss are the fact that every team needs role players. Sure, it would be nice if every single player was a star, but if you can get a couple genuine star players, and surround them with role players who are willing and able to work and do all the little things, you will have a very solid team.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The thing that message boards usually miss are the fact that every team needs role players. Sure, it would be nice if every single player was a star, but if you can get a couple genuine star players, and surround them with role players who are willing and able to work and do all the little things, you will have a very solid team.

And may I add that this team desperately needs shooters. Assuming Grill (and it seems like we should), TJ has added two guys who are better shooters than we've had.

That's improvement. Kind of the whole thing right now.
It's still possible that something huge happens in this crazy transfer market, but whether it does or not, the man's addressing a very real need. That's a good thing, y'all.

alenz95

Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
I know everyone wants to pick up transfers the can average 15 plus a game, but that's not going to happen until we fill the rest of the roster. Any P6 high level scorer will have quite a few options in this years market. We only get those guys by presenting an actual vision as to how they will fit into the roster. Part of presenting that vision involves filling slots for role players. The same goes for retaining guys like Hunter. It becomes a lot easier to sell them when question marks are filled.

Jaz and Grill seem like great guys to bring in to help establish culture - especially as role players. We already know from Grill's freshman year that the kid plays his tail off, even if he's still a bit raw. Same goes for Jaz, who buy all indications seems like a hard worker. All in all we could be doing a lot worse for filling in down roster slots.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

And may I add that this team desperately needs shooters. Assuming Grill (and it seems like we should), TJ has added two guys who are better shooters than we've had.

That's improvement. Kind of the whole thing right now.
It's still possible that something huge happens in this crazy transfer market, but whether it does or not, the man's addressing a very real need. That's a good thing, y'all.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
It’ll all come down to if TJ does land those star players. On paper, he’s got all the role players he needs. Now it’s time to go land a few high impact players. The problem for ISU the last 3-4 years is they’ve had a roster of solid role players but no stars and because of that, the role players were playing star minutes. Jackson, Walker, Kunc, Conditt and Grill (if he comes here) is a solid little group of role players. If TJ can get 2 high impact transfers to go with those guys and start with Hunter/Foster/Hinson, then you might have something.

Reactions: LLCoolCY

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think Grill has a pretty build, is a pretty dang good overall athlete, and will be an early buy in guy for TJ.

I also think the Thomas comparisons aren't something I totally agree with. I don't think becoming an elite shooter should necessarily be his goal. I think he should try to be somebody like Chris Babb who plays very good, solid perimeter defense and does a lot of little things for the team. Babb never averaged double figures in points and was absolutely essential to the turnaround. Let's see Grill match that.