***OFFICIAL BIG 12 EXPANSION THREAD 2.0***

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There mightve been outcry but it wouldve been easily shot down. Shouldntve had a bad loss to WVU. Same with OSU- shouldntve had a bad loss to VT.

There is some truth to this. Baylor also had a worse overall SOS than TCU and Ohio State (whose SOS was nearly identical entering the playoffs).

In hindsight there is no way TCU and Ohio State weren't both top 3 teams at least going into the playoff, one was going to be left out.

Just don't tell me it will not hurt the B12 in the long run if they're underrepresented on this committee. That's either silly or bad trolling. I could only imagine the outcry if there were 3 members of the 13 team committee with Big 12 ties and only 1 from the SEC or Big Ten...and they'd be valid. They need to work out the kinks.

1) Develop better and more consistent criteria the way the NCAA basketball committee does.
2) Either balance the conference affiliations more evenly or completely change the committee every year.
3) Add more committee members if you need to in order to do this.

1 Big 12 representative on a committee whose criteria apparently changes by the day is utter nonsense compared to the BCS ranking we junked it for.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
When the B1G sucks, I'm first in line saying how much they suck. When Iowa sucks, which has become the new norm, I'm the first in line to say how much they suck. We have a sh*tty coach. We have the worst P5 AD in the nation. Our MBB program is still working its way out of the abyss. Our football team is in a perpetual toilet swirl for the foreseeable future.

It's funny to be called a B1G homer when so many of you guys are never objective, can never say anything positive about the B1G, think the world is conspiring against you. Pretty laughable. Nobody outside of hardcore, conspiracy theorist Big 12 fans think the committee got it wrong.

But I'm the homer. Right.

I don't know if you're a homer, but you're pretty naive. I'm not even arguing with you about Ohio State.

You would seriously be happy if the committe looked like this:
3 SEC tie members including some football legends
2 ACC tie members
1 Purdue athletic director nobody has ever heard of and wasn't any sort of name in coaching or playing
3 Big 12 members including some football legends
2 Pac 12 tie members
2 members with non-BCS ties or no significant ties

Sorry but you're mentally damaged if you think Big Ten fans would be thrilled about that. They'd be right to be concerned. It's not the way the world works.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There mightve been outcry but it wouldve been easily shot down. Shouldntve had a bad loss to WVU. Same with OSU- shouldntve had a bad loss to VT.

Sure it would have. Silly to think it would've been a major talking point in national media every day leading up to the playoff games.

OSU may have had a bad loss to VT at the beginning of the season, but they also had a blowout conference championship win over a top 15 team in the last week of the season which TCU couldn't match. That matters.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What I want to know is what backroom deals were made in order to ensure Wisconsin didn't show up to the Big 10 Championship game. Was OSU better than Wisconsin? Absolutely. Were they 59-0 better than Wisconsin? **** no.

(Yeah, I'm tinfoil hatting, but that game was ridiculous on the order of Kimbo Slice - Ken Shamrock)

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't know if you're a homer, but you're pretty naive. I'm not even arguing with you about Ohio State.

You would seriously be happy if the committe looked like this:
3 SEC tie members including some football legends
2 ACC tie members
1 Purdue athletic director nobody has ever heard of and wasn't any sort of name in coaching or playing
3 Big 12 members including some football legends
2 Pac 12 tie members
2 members with non-BCS ties or no significant ties

Sorry but you're mentally damaged if you think Big Ten fans would be thrilled about that. They'd be right to be concerned. It's not the way the world works.

You're right. I'd demand Barta call a presser to bring the conspiracy to light.

It's nobody else's fault if the Big 12 got the shaft on the committee other than the Big 12. Blame Bowlsby instead of whining to the rest of the world.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What I want to know is what backroom deals were made in order to ensure Wisconsin didn't show up to the Big 10 Championship game. Was OSU better than Wisconsin? Absolutely. Were they 59-0 better than Wisconsin? **** no.

(Yeah, I'm tinfoil hatting, but that game was ridiculous on the order of Kimbo Slice - Ken Shamrock)

Another conspiracy against the Big 12. Obviously.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You're right. I'd demand Barta call a presser to bring the conspiracy to light.

It's nobody else's fault if the Big 12 got the shaft on the committee other than the Big 12. Blame Bowlsby instead of whining to the rest of the world.

Ah...perhaps you missed why I even started posting in here. I was blaming him for not speaking out about it. 10 teams, 12 teams, CCG, it's idiotic that all gets more attention than the simple fact that the committee does not have decent Big 12 representation. We have a young Texas Tech AD nobody has ever heard of and other conferences have multiple living legends with strong ties to their league on the committee.

You side tracked the convo with a completely idiotic troll attempt that human nature bias does not exist. It'd be a cool world, but it's fantasy.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Ah...perhaps you missed why I even started posting in here. I was blaming him for not speaking out about it. 10 teams, 12 teams, CCG, it's idiotic that all gets more attention than the simple fact that the committee does not have decent Big 12 representation. We have a young Texas Tech AD nobody has ever heard of and other conferences have multiple living legends with strong ties to their league on the committee.

You side tracked the convo with a completely idiotic troll attempt that human nature bias does not exist. It'd be a cool world, but it's fantasy.

Never said that. All I said was that it didn't exist in this decision.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Never said that. All I said was that it didn't exist in this decision.

Maybe it did and maybe it didn't. You have no way of knowing that and neither do I. Looking at numbers it was a razor close decision.

You implied that the committee was somehow safeguarded against any sort of bias which was just silly and why I said you were being naive, that's a naive stance. Any conference would be silly to be happy that they have less representation than the others, the Big 12 clearly has very little, not just in numbers but in personalities on the committee.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Not really sure why this argument from December is back but if anything the fact that the Big 12 was left out in 2015 makes it a lot more likely that the conference will get a team in the playoff in 2016. There will be politicking among the committee and they don't want to be perceived as having a bias. My guess is the ACC will be the odd man out, but who knows? The only conference that's essentially guaranteed a spot right now is the SEC. The overall weakness of the B1G could hurt them if an Ohio State stumbles to a Nebraska or Wisconsin in the title game.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
IMO, the big12 breaking up is more likely than the big12 bringing in more teams.

Unfortunately I believe you are right. Texas and OU fans are continually ******** on their boards about either money or championships. Those schools have many advantages and can't stand losing to the likes of Baylor and TCU in FB. and to us in BB. Those two schools really believe they are above everyone else.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I really dont see what the harm will be. If the cost to the remaining 10 schools is minimal, why not take a shot. Because its either that or the longer we dont grow the more likely that texas or oklahoma opt out of this arrangement when the grant of rights ends. So the choice is try to find someone now, while things are stable and you can actually grow a school, and hope it works out, or just stand pat, and keep pretending that OU and\or texas cant just opt out in 10 years.... and from Boren's comments OU doesnt seem pleased with the status quo.

I also find it very interesting that Bowlsby is now confirming that the tv contract would go up if additional members added. Thats almost exactly opposite of what theyve been claiming the last few years.

I think adding a couple of garbage schools increases the likelihood that OU or UT opts out at the end of the GOR.

if we add 12 teams, we can't take a pay cut. Pay cuts are what put this conference where it is, which, by the way, isn't a bad place if you quit listening to ESPN and evaluate things.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
There are a couple others you could look at not as immediate powerhouses but as longer term investments. UCF for example, with its giant student body is creating a huge alumni base. Elevate them to a major stage and after a few years they could be something big.

A huge alumni base where the overwhelming majority doesn't give two ***** about their crappy sports teams. UCF is a commuter school with an academic stature that's barely a notch above the University of Phoenix...they have no place in a P5 conference. Get real.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A huge alumni base where the overwhelming majority doesn't give two ***** about their crappy sports teams. UCF is a commuter school with an academic stature that's barely a notch above the University of Phoenix...they have no place in a P5 conference. Get real.

And how much about that is because they arent on a major stage? Elevate them to a P5 conference and many of their alumni become primarily fans of their alma mater.

And can we really stop with the 'crappy commuter school' stuff? Its not like all the current big 12 members are elite academically.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Not really sure why this argument from December is back but if anything the fact that the Big 12 was left out in 2015 makes it a lot more likely that the conference will get a team in the playoff in 2016. There will be politicking among the committee and they don't want to be perceived as having a bias. My guess is the ACC will be the odd man out, but who knows? The only conference that's essentially guaranteed a spot right now is the SEC. The overall weakness of the B1G could hurt them if an Ohio State stumbles to a Nebraska or Wisconsin in the title game.

Bite your tongue!

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Unfortunately I believe you are right. Texas and OU fans are continually ******** on their boards about either money or championships. Those schools have many advantages and can't stand losing to the likes of Baylor and TCU in FB. and to us in BB. Those two schools really believe they are above everyone else.
This is the problem. If you go on orangebloods (UT's biggest site), I would say 70%-80% of the posters on there do not like being in the big 12 and would like to leave. I know fans don't make the decisions by a long shot but I gotta think the higher ups have to share some of those ideas. Lots of UT fans blame their poor recruiting on being in the Big 12

What I'm scared of is OU or UT will leave the Big 12 and then the entire conference will just dissolve. Then we will be left out in the cold with no place to go. We would have 3 options then: 1. Pray the B1G will take us in 2. Hope that the SEC or PAC want to open up the Midwest TV market (not that we have a very big market share but still...) and offer us a home. 3. We would have to go to a non power 5 conference (technically a power 4 school at that time)

Probably our biggest problem is that we wouldn't have a partner to go anywhere with. KU and k state would have each other. No conference is going to want to add just 1 school (they obviously don't want odd numbers)

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
And how much about that is because they arent on a major stage? Elevate them to a P5 conference and many of their alumni become primarily fans of their alma mater.

And can we really stop with the 'crappy commuter school' stuff? Its not like all the current big 12 members are elite academically.

UCF has an endowment of $135m, over three times smaller than the lowest current Big 12 member (KSU). Drake has a larger endowment than that. UCF has a lower US News ranking than any Big 12 member. Face it, by any metric, they're a below average school...

And no, I don't buy that all those online and non-traditional students will suddenly become huge athletics fans if UCF got "called up to the majors". By that logic, why not invite Ashford University or Northern Virginia Community College? I mean, they have even larger enrollments than UCF...that's a lot of potential fans, right?

I'm done here. When you return to reality, let's talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron