*** Official IOWA STATE vs #14 Oklahoma Game(Day) Thread ***

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Fair point and I don’t see CMC suddenly opening up the offense and throwing downfield on the regular. I wouldn’t characterize him as a coach that changes course significantly.
Who are you going to throw it to? We don't have good enough receivers to get open consistently against teams with the talent on the back end of their defense like Oklahoma. Even Iowa for that matter if you want to be honest. We just aren't very good. We'd be a mid-pack team in the MAC this year. It's talent and coaching.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Fair point and I don’t see CMC suddenly opening up the offense and throwing downfield on the regular. I wouldn’t characterize him as a coach that changes course significantly.
I think there is a difference.

I agree, I doubt we see Rocco throwing the ball 30-40 yards downfield to make big plays to open up the offense.

But Rocco appears to have the arm, quick release and accuracy to throw 10-20 yard slants or seam routes that can result in big plays. Even if they don't turn into long scores, they are invaluable routes on 3rd and long or make up big chunks after a sack or hold.

If our offense keeps evolving based on the last 2 games, there is reason for optimism.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I agree…and it makes me wonder why? KSU used to be the worst team in D1 football. Now they are a consistent contender and bowl team. Even KU is showing life. Neither of those locations are destinations for a player. Yet they are getting it done.
coaching.....KU and K-State aren't getting blue-chip recruits. They get middle-of-the-road guys just like us, they just have coached and developed better (KU as of very recently)

People act like Iowa State can never be good....it takes the right combo. Recruiting good enough guys (we don't necessarily have a talent issue relative to the rest of the Big 12) and coaching.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020

I agree, I doubt we see Rocco throwing the ball 30-40 yards downfield to make big plays to open up the offense.

But Rocco appears to have the arm, quick release and accuracy to throw 10-20 yard slants or seam routes that can result in big plays. Even if they don't turn into long scores, they are invaluable routes on 3rd and long or make up big chunks after a sack or hold.

If our offense keeps evolving based on the last 2 games, there is reason for optimism.
10-20 yard passes is all I want....I don't need 70 yard bombs.....we saw against OU, that are 10-20 yard passes resulted in big yardage touchdowns

Reactions: joefrog

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown

Gotta have receivers capable of doing that consistently against big 12 teams. We don't.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
coaching.....KU and K-State aren't getting blue-chip recruits. They get middle-of-the-road guys just like us, they just have coached and developed better (KU as of very recently)

People act like Iowa State can never be good....it takes the right combo. Recruiting good enough guys (we don't necessarily have a talent issue relative to the rest of the Big 12) and coaching.
They are clearly doing a better job of evaluating players too.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Sure glad we are at the stage where our offense is so good that some fans feel the need to apologize for making big plays on offense.

I am sure Lincoln Riley and Deon Sanders feel the same way when they complete intermediate slants to their receivers.
;)

The 'just make adjustments against a top ten caliber team with their ears pinned back with better players' is the football version of 'just use cut backs and dribble drive with players that struggle to dribble in open space' from basketball season.

• Agree

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
We played a P12 team with 2 losses. Plus, they aren't going to select a second P12 team to play Oregon. Finally, ISU was selected over three B10 teams with 1 or 2 losses: Northwestern, Indiana and Iowa. Between those 3 teams, they had only 1 win over a Top 25 team and that was Northwestern's win over Iowa. Meanwhile, ISU had 3 wins over Top 25 teams, and we picked up our 3rd loss in the B12 championship game. We were the clear choice for the Fiesta Bowl.
Yep, and you play under the system that was in effect at the time. People trying to discount the Fiesta Bowl win are simply too wrapped up in the “poor ISU” mentality. Would things have been different without COVID? Most likely. But we had COVID, everybody had to deal with it, and Iowa State can show off that Fiesta Bowl trophy proudly and without any damn excuses.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I would have liked to have ISU gone after the current KU coach when we hired Campbell, The guy has been a winner at a couple of lower division schools, winning multiple championships. He was also older so there would be less chance that if has success to leave.
If Campbell leaves, ISU needs to find the next coach like Leipold and see what we can do.

• Puke
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Yep, and you play under the system that was in effect at the time. People trying to discount the Fiesta Bowl win are simply too wrapped up in the “poor ISU” mentality. Would things have been different without COVID? Most likely. But we had COVID, everybody had to deal with it, and Iowa State can show off that Fiesta Bowl trophy proudly and without any damn excuses.
As that season was progressing, I said a number of times that the most impressive part of that season was keeping the team disciplined and healthy when it seemed like nobody else could.

Not meant as a knock, that was a legitimately impressive feat. The Fiesta Bowl was legitimately won and carries as much value as any other year's.

But let's not act like having all of our guys available nearly every week wasn't a tremendous advantage that we can't replicate ever again.

• Agree

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
As that season was progressing, I said a number of times that the most impressive part of that season was keeping the team disciplined and healthy when it seemed like nobody else could.

Not meant as a knock, that was a legitimately impressive feat. The Fiesta Bowl was legitimately won and carries as much value as any other year's.

But let's not act like having all of our guys available nearly every week wasn't a tremendous advantage that we can't replicate ever again.

IIRC, the “fortunate” part was that COVID hit the team early in camp

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It was a great thing and super fun.

But it was sandwiched between two marginal seasons/records that would be stronger indicators for where the program really is vs. using 2020 as some sort of bar that was set.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
OU looked very good Saturday, but let's not understate ISU's chances to match up with them in future years if we happen to play them again.

Last year ISU trailed OU by 20-13 until OU tacked on another TD with 4 minutes left in the game. ISU outgained the Sooners, but Dekkers threw 3 picks. OU has improved a lot this year, and ISU is without several key players due to suspensions. There's no reason we can't get right back to being as competitive as we were last year.

NIL won't help but OU can't start 75 guys every game. So some guys will end up transfering FROM OU. Hopefully we will start getting more players from the portal because I really like the 2-3 that we've taken each year.

Reactions: CyNews

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
See ya OU! You had some good players, Leroy Selmon, Steve Owens,, Billy Sims, Joe Washington, Trent Williams, Greg Pruit, Aidrian Perterson, Baker Mayfield, DeMarco Murray, Roy Williams, Kylar Murray, Keith Jackson. Credit where credit is due, I suppose. You always had your cake and ate it too. I will remember, not always fondly. You always beat us pretty soundly. I will not miss you, now that I know you are leaving and abandoning ship. You are off to seek greater wealth. Whatever and good riddance.

I can't say I wish you luck in the SEC. I will not be rooting for you. We will survive just fine without you, big brother. Brothers I guess we are not, and maybe never were.
Please find a farewell greeting card, write this out on it, and send it to their football offices.
I wanted to sum up some of my feelings on OU. As a very long Cyclone fan, for so many years they would destroy us in FB. It was so bad that I dreaded the gameday against OU. It was never going to be a chance for victory. It was just a matter of how many 10's of points we were going to be trounced by.

I personally will not miss playing them in FB due to this. Sure, it would have been better if they had stayed in the Big12, wanted to stay. But they didn't. They have elected to leave and now will venture off into the totally new, for them, SEC. They have made their bed and will have to sleep in it. They will do just fine. Maybe some day they will look back and say, "We had it pretty good in the Big 12"? At this point, who cares?

Texas? I have much less feeling for. What they do and how they end up, I couldn't care less. Horns Down! At least OU was with us in the beginning, or near the beginning of the Big 8. Many memories of games were had, games played and won or lost (mostly lost in FB), conference mates.

The time for looking back is over. I now look forward to the new Big 12, without OUt.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: el tornado

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Ran across this. OU FB experience in Norman, ISU vs OU

Last time in Norman, OK

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Ran across this. OU FB experience in Norman, ISU vs OU

Last time in Norman, OK

@isufbcurt, @JM4CY, or others, in beginning of the above video shows Jamelle Holieway. Is he the QB who came out after the halftime break wearing a fur coat and eating a hotdog? Arrogant. Or was that someone else?

Also, I looked Holieway up and learned that he took over for Troy Aikman after Aikman broke his ankle, both being freshmen. Aikman then transferred to UCLA. I guess I never knew that.
"At Oklahoma, he took over for an injured Troy Aikman in his freshman year in the Miami game when Jerome Brown and Dan Sileo broke Aikman's leg."

Last edited: