*** Official Marist vs ISU Gameday Thread ***

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Yeah, I suppose you're right about that. Our size could not match up to their quickness playing man-to-man. So we basically were forced to play zone... which is a horrible defense to play against a hot outside shooting team. Nothing we could really do about it though. It would have forced someone like Prins to guard Oliver one-on-one... which would be trouble for Prins big time.

We just had to guard the 3 pt shot better. Our guards were not quick enough to stay on them out there beyond the arc.

When we were in man, they got HC on a guard and they just did an NBA-style iso drive on her. HC is good at a lot of things, but guarding a quick guard on the perimeter with a threat to drive is not one of them. True for Pop and Prins too.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
When we were in man, they got HC on a guard and they just did an NBA-style iso drive on her. HC is good at a lot of things, but guarding a quick guard on the perimeter with a threat to drive is not one of them. True for Pop and Prins too.

yeah, and its not like their 3s were from line either. A lot of their early 3s in the first half were 5 6 ft behind the line. That's hard to guard for guards.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
she was tough on getting rebounds, and I was extremely miffed when she's our best player on the court today and BF reems her and body butts her for missing a layup when she's body checked. Give me a break, he should be positively reinforcing her toughness. If anything he needs to be in Schroll, Mansfield, and Cole's faces for not taking open looks.

As someone else pointed out, BF's act is getting old for me too. And no, I'm not saying we need to get rid of BF. We need BF as our women's head coach for as long as possible.

But when you are constantly ticked off all the time, it loses it's affect IMO. Our girls seem to play VERY tentatively, while the Marist girls seemed to play a lot looser. I think a lot of that has to do with our girls not wanting to do anything to get BF mad at them. Our girls seem to question everything they are doing before doing it. Nothing comes natural. A lot of doubt in them.

I think more encouragement, and a little less screaming at them might help? If you do something blatantly wrong, then yes, you deserve to be yelled at. But you can't be succesful if you are constantly worried about doing something wrong either.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As someone else pointed out, BF's act is getting old for me too. And no, I'm not saying we need to get rid of BF. We need BF as our women's head coach for as long as possible.

But when you are constantly ticked off all the time, it loses it's affect IMO. Our girls seem to play VERY tentatively, while the Marist girls seemed to play a lot looser. I think a lot of that has to do with our girls not wanting to do anything to get BF mad at them. Our girls seem to question everything they are doing before doing it. Nothing comes natural. A lot of doubt in them.

I think more encouragement, and a little less screaming at them might help? If you do something blatantly wrong, then yes, you deserve to be yelled at. But you can't be succesful if you are constantly worried about doing something wrong either.

It's a lot easier to play loose when you have a double digit lead for essentially the last 25 minutes of the game. Note that they didn't play terribly loose when shooting FT's at the end as it got a little tighter. Their 95% FT shooter missed both ends of her 2 shot opportunity. If they weren't getting steals and turning over ISU in the last 3 minutes they would have FT shot themselves right out of their lead. On the other hand, if they would have hit their FT's it could easily have been a 20 point win.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
ISU has to have the threat of the 3 ball from its guards to open up the inside game. ISU has the post players now......but now the 3 point threat is no longer really there, other than from Bolte, or Prins if she steps out.

I hope there are some good 3 point shooters in next year's class, or he can find a couple.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
One thing I like about Anna is she is a gamer, and likes to compete. And usually steps up in Big games.

And BF is going after Anna again in the post-game, saying she "can't guard in space." He said he has a hard time figuring out how to "use her defensively."
Said that the story of the game was lack of balanced scoring, and "too many turnovers in the post."

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Too bad to end the season on a loss, but, most will. We had a men's coach who used the term "limited." I think we are limited and better teams took advantage. Lot's to work on/think about in the off-season. Hopefully everyone hits the weights/conditioning and shooting on their own. There isn't time to work on that during practice. I'm sure the coaches will break out the drawing boards. Personally, I favor a game plan that aspires to 80+ points.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
And BF is going after Anna again in the post-game, saying she "can't guard in space." He said he has a hard time figuring out how to "use her defensively."
Said that the story of the game was lack of balanced scoring, and "too many turnovers in the post."

He needs to watch Baylor film then, because Griner can't guard quick guards either, yet somehow they manage. Perhaps he needs to switch 1-4, or 1-3, like many other teams do when they run man. I don't think Hallie or Pop are capable of guarding a 5 5 quick guard on the perimeter either.

Blaming this loss on her defense is ignoring the glaring problem that we had only 9 points out of 4 players.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Seriously? If everyone played like Anna today, we'd have won by 15-20 pts. It looked like she was the only one that cared? Eventually she even stepped out and nailed the 3's we needed because nobody else could.

Obviously she can't guard people in space... she's 6'7" tall! Could Kareem Abdul Jabbar guard anyone in space? Heck no. That's just stupid.

Did BF take any of the blame himself? He was outcoached HUGE today. Our fundamentals are lacking big time. And that's on coaching. Someone ask BF why our offense seems to be to have someone dribble into one of the corners where they can be double teamed and then turn it over? Seriously BF... get a grip.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
He needs to watch Baylor film then, because Griner can't guard quick guards either, yet somehow they manage. Perhaps he needs to switch 1-4, or 1-3, like many other teams do when they run man. I don't think Hallie or Pop are capable of guarding a 5 5 quick guard on the perimeter either.

Blaming this loss on her defense is ignoring the glaring problem that we had only 9 points out of 4 players.

Griner stands in the middle and waits for someone to drive, the goes for the shot block with those long arms. The rest of the defense can overplay because of that. Prins can't jump over a phone book, so we can't do that.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I also thought Anna did a good job of rebounding in traffic. She struggles with that, but she came down with a lot of rebounds she didn't get in the past.

I'm not listening to the postgame, but there's a difference between BF saying Anna can't guard in space and he had trouble figuring out how to use her defensively (all of which is true) and blaming her for the loss.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Uh-oh, the natives are getting restless. I still remember hoping to get one big 8 win in a season. A win in the tourney 4 straight years was a pipe dream. I'll take a "down" year every once in a while if that "down" year is a first round tourney loss.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Remember prior to the year when BF said that if they have problems, it won't be because of the guards, it will be because of the posts? Seems like he is stuck on that theory, regardless of the evidence.
There was no mention on the post-game of the lack of offensive punch from the guards. Also keep in mind, Bolte was only 6-20.
I'm sure Moody will get her chances next year, as Mansfield was way overmatched today. She may be a nice person, but she would not start for Marist.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bill has always had a dominant point guard, he didn't have that this year, and still figured out how to get us into the dance. He is a great, great coach.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Griner stands in the middle and waits for someone to drive, the goes for the shot block with those long arms. The rest of the defense can overplay because of that. Prins can't jump over a phone book, so we can't do that.

Actually Anna gets her fair share of blocks on driving guards. The key is for our guards to force driving guards into our posts. Hallie and Anna have amost 50 blocks, and Pop takes her share of charges.

If our defense needs to rely on our post players to guard guards on the perimeter, then we have bigger problems. As MRed pointed out, when we went man, they went ISO on Hallie. Marist, like K-State is probably the worst match-up for our team as a whole. We just don't play good against teams that have multiple players that have good dribble drive and shoot the 3.

CyFaninPA

Oct 7, 2010
Rough loss, glad the Cyclones were able to close the gap a bit. Anna Prins had a wonderful game, especially in the second half. And all the best to Kelsey Bolte, what an outstanding career at Iowa State.

The slow starts are odd, would like to see the 2011-12 team be more energized from the tip. The coaches and team will have a great opportunity in the off-season to make improvements.

Lots to look forward to next year with the new recruits and the returning crew.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron