*** Official Marist vs ISU Gameday Thread ***

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
looking forward to next year. Bolte will be missed, but the increased experience for our posts, plus some quick freshman guards, the key we missed this year, will be welcome.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Oh well. Still a good year for the Twister Sisters. 5 straight seasons in the NCAA tournament with everyone but Bolte coming back next year. BF just keeps building history and tradition here at ISU and he wont be leaving any time soon. We should be even better next year and can make a great run at the Big 12 Championship and the final four!

Thanks for the memories Bolte and good luck in the future. Go Cyclones!

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I hope these new recruits can handle the ball. We can't even get shots off when we need to.

I think ISU will start having a new look next year. We have a couple quick ball handlers coming in. My guess is both will be competing for starting positions. Our post play struggles as today, were usually when they are double and triple teamed. The guards have to hit outside shots to keep that from happening. Next year could be exciting, but I'm hedging that the following season will be stellar

Thanks team for a fun season; which exceeded a lot of expectations going into the season.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Nikki Moody a hoopgurlz top 100 player at combo guard, might help a lot.

I think it's unfair to count on Moody to be an impact player in her freshman year. Just sayin'. Mansfield, Cole, and Harris need to improve in the guard court.
Our program should not be in a position to have to expect any freshman to give immediate help, unless she's a national-type recruit.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
One reason this team is maddedingly inconsistent is the lack of experience with Bolte the only player who was here two years ago. Hopefully that will be better next season.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hate to say it, but we were outcoached big time today.

Yes, Marist was unconscious from 3, but that's what they do. That's their game, and we knew it. And we were still outcoached.

Can someone explain to me why we play a 2-3 zone against a hot shooting 3 pt team? A zone is basically worthless against a great outside shooting team.

And boy do we play stupid basketball. It's unreal. Constantly dribbling into the corners where we get stuck. Constantly putting it on the court down inside and getting it stripped. Constantly dribbling it around into double teams instead of passing it around. And.... how many times did we blatantly pass the ball right to them? Just VERY poor fundamental basketball all the way around.

There's no excuse for us to be down by 20 to Marist in the first half. That's just not showing up at all and being ready to play. Marist was constantly getting open 3's, and we could never get anyone open for a 3. If we only get down by 10 in the first half, we probably win this game going away in the 2nd half because we really wore them down as the game went on, but you just CANNOT get down by 20... no excuse for that whatsoever.

For the future, Prins is going to be VERY good. I like Christopherson's game too. But we need some outside shooters really bad. We lose Bolte. After that, who's going to knock down 3's?

I don't get to see the ISU women play much at all, but I was sure surprised today at how poorly we execute, how poor our fundamentals are, and how poorly we seem to be coached? I know it's basically against the rules to criticize Fennelly as an ISU fan, but he got whooped today. He needs to realize that.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Bad loss.

I hope BF can find some guards who are not afraid to shoot, or convince the ones he has to shoot more. Plus, they need to learn to protect the ball a whole lot better.

This team needs some good 3 point shooting guards who are not afraid to shoot. One is not enough.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Can someone explain to me why we play a 2-3 zone against a hot shooting 3 pt team? A zone is basically worthless against a great outside shooting team.

The Marist message board was questioning in the first half why we LEFT the zone, as it was working better than the man at the time.

I don't think we have the personnel to play a really good man defense right now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's not that Marist is a good team. It's more that we are not a good team.

Both polls disagree with you. Marist is ranked inside the top 20. They got the shaft with a 10 seed, but in the end it will probably work out for them as they have a better chance in the second round.

But yes, this is not a good team by Fennelly standards.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think it's unfair to count on Moody to be an impact player in her freshman year. Just sayin'. Mansfield, Cole, and Harris need to improve in the guard court.
Our program should not be in a position to have to expect any freshman to give immediate help, unless she's a national-type recruit.

I don't want to put too much pressure on our new guards to perform, but I've read and heard that many think ISU got a steal with Moody, and Williamson is quick off the dribble and has toughness, playing most of this season at the post. Ellis has a good outside shot as well.

I agree that our current guards need to step up their game. This loss today was not on our posts, nor on Bolte.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I know it's basically against the rules to criticize Fennelly as an ISU fan, but he got whooped today. He needs to realize that.

Criticize all you want. I don't think he necessarily picked the wrong defense. ISU has been a much better second-half team all year and the coaching staff was never able to figure out why. That's my criticism -- after a while, you can't pin slow start after slow start on the players.

Losing Bolte sucks, but I can't wait to see next year's team.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
And unlike our guards, she's not afraid to let a three fly.

she was tough on getting rebounds, and I was extremely miffed when she's our best player on the court today and BF reems her and body butts her for missing a layup when she's body checked. Give me a break, he should be positively reinforcing her toughness. If anything he needs to be in Schroll, Mansfield, and Cole's faces for not taking open looks.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The Marist message board was questioning in the first half why we LEFT the zone, as it was working better than the man at the time.

I don't think we have the personnel to play a really good man defense right now.

Yeah, I suppose you're right about that. Our size could not match up to their quickness playing man-to-man. So we basically were forced to play zone... which is a horrible defense to play against a hot outside shooting team. Nothing we could really do about it though. It would have forced someone like Prins to guard Oliver one-on-one... which would be trouble for Prins big time.

We just had to guard the 3 pt shot better. Our guards were not quick enough to stay on them out there beyond the arc.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
she was tough on getting rebounds, and I was extremely miffed when she's our best player on the court today and BF reems her and body butts her for missing a layup when she's body checked. Give me a break, he should be positively reinforcing her toughness. If anything he needs to be in Schroll, Mansfield, and Cole's faces for not taking open looks.

And BF was back to his screaming, snarling f-bombs during timeouts too. Obviously, there's a sense of connectiveness and family regarding this program, but it looks bad on TV to recruits. Girls don't like to be screamed at.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron