*** Official Marist vs ISU Gameday Thread ***

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I would never want to get rid of Bill. He got a ton out of this team that realistically maybe should not have even reached the tournament.

That said, it's frustrating with our success that we can't get any real athletic girls that can create and jump. Get tired of watching us struggle to find a shot year after year after year against high level competition.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
you know because Anna is 6 7 everyone thinks she should "dominate," and it seems her game is always evaluated more than anyone.

Anna's progress will be fun to watch as she will be a needed leader for next two years. I am as guilty as any one of expecting a lot of Anna as we've never had anyone like her.

I don't understand what's in her game that has Refs giving errant whistles and phantom foul calls. I thought I was wrong put looking back she is didn't deserve a third of those junk calls (and that is my first ref criticism ever here).

Next year will be another trying year I'm afraid, but '12-'13 may offer much with Prins a Senior, our Texan guards coming in with experience, "The Kid" exploding on the scene and Hallie dominating:smile:.

No qualms with Bill or our ladies as the season came and went. BF has some stuff left to prove and I'll be along for the ride.

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls
He got a ton out of this team that realistically maybe should not have even reached the tournament.

How much was left on the table because of the in the face tirades that would wear anyone down. I can't imagine that many of the players still have a love of playing basketball after getting that all the time.

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
As someone else pointed out, BF's act is getting old for me too. And no, I'm not saying we need to get rid of BF. We need BF as our women's head coach for as long as possible.

But when you are constantly ticked off all the time, it loses it's affect IMO. Our girls seem to play VERY tentatively, while the Marist girls seemed to play a lot looser. I think a lot of that has to do with our girls not wanting to do anything to get BF mad at them. Our girls seem to question everything they are doing before doing it. Nothing comes natural. A lot of doubt in them.

I think more encouragement, and a little less screaming at them might help? If you do something blatantly wrong, then yes, you deserve to be yelled at. But you can't be succesful if you are constantly worried about doing something wrong either.

Um... have you ever watched Geno Auriemma or Pat Summit on the sidelines? Their screaming and fierce intensity make Fennelly look pretty vanilla. Seriously, that is part of the game. The difference is in how those teams respond to the tough coaching -- do they take it and try harder on the next possession, or do they wilt?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
As someone else pointed out, BF's act is getting old for me too. And no, I'm not saying we need to get rid of BF. We need BF as our women's head coach for as long as possible.

But when you are constantly ticked off all the time, it loses it's affect IMO. Our girls seem to play VERY tentatively, while the Marist girls seemed to play a lot looser. I think a lot of that has to do with our girls not wanting to do anything to get BF mad at them. Our girls seem to question everything they are doing before doing it. Nothing comes natural. A lot of doubt in them.

I think more encouragement, and a little less screaming at them might help? If you do something blatantly wrong, then yes, you deserve to be yelled at. But you can't be succesful if you are constantly worried about doing something wrong either.

Exactly. Stop the screaming and recruit some Big 12 caliber athletes that don't need to be verbally harassed into playing beyond their capabilities. There is too much talent in the Big 12 for that to work on a consistent basis.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I didn't expected this lopsided of a game but knew this could happen. Marist is a solid mid major who has shown this ability to knock off big name opp in the the ncaa tourney before. For the first time in the BF era at ISU the PG position was a joke. Mansfield with 2 points, when she has shown the ability to score in other games.

And BF was back to his screaming, snarling f-bombs during timeouts too. Obviously, there's a sense of connectiveness and family regarding this program, but it looks bad on TV to recruits. Girls don't like to be screamed at.

I saw a point after Anna missed a bunny and came to the bench and Bill hip checked her and I was like wow. He is a great coach and glad we have him but he needs to control the temper.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
For the first time in the BF era at ISU the PG position was a joke. Mansfield with 2 points, when she has shown the ability to score in other games.

And I know you scored everytime you touched the ball when you were playing, even when someone was right in your face! Without Mansfields play in a number of games we would not have even made the tourney.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I saw a point after Anna missed a bunny and came to the bench and Bill hip checked her and I was like wow. He is a great coach and glad we have him but he needs to control the temper.

The problem is that you probably weren't the only one who saw that...and I'm thinking particularly of those athletic recruits that ISU needs...

Last edited:

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I watched most of the game and couldn't believe how terrible we looked. I was thinking how in the hell did this team finish above .500, let alone make the NCAA Tournament with that seed. Fennelly did well to get them to the Dance...he may have got his *** handed to him today but he did a really good job this season

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
The coach is the best thing to happen to ISU bb and maybe ISU in general, but the way he picks out players to chew out when others deserve it more (based on what we all are watching) concerns me. I wonder what parents of prospective recruits think when they see this happen.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe BF will have to change his style to compete with today's players who are more sensitive?

McD use to chew out Mike, Jiri, and Wesley and the other ones had a hall pass.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Anyone trying to defend the performance so far from ISU by saying Marist is a good team......I will bet you a brand new $100 bill Duke beats them by 20+.

So much for that Marist without their best player most of the game loses by 5 and had a crack at a 3 to tie the game.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
So much for that Marist without their best player most of the game loses by 5 and had a crack at a 3 to tie the game.

They led late and should have closed that out. It was funny. I was tired of the historic fieldhouse talk before the game. Didn't get it. I always liked Jamal Tinsley's quote about Fogg Allen, "It's just a gym". Seriously. It's their men's team with the success, and their students, with little else to root for, that back a winner? Surprise! Their (Duke's) crowd for this game was a joke. Had we had a game at home, there'd be people ringing the place. We've got great fans. It about cost them, too. It shows me how close we were. We play a better 1st half, and we're not talking about this. We were watching it tonight, or for the lucky few, we were there.

BTW- Playing at home seems to matter. See Gonzaga, who just beat UCLA. That's the intangible about the women's tourney.

I played on a terrible high school football team. It was funny, and frustrating. But, the coach told me after the season one time, he slept great on Thursday nights. Know why? He'd done all he could do.

We'll be better, and Bill is a great X's and O's coach. The criticisms of his temper are valid, though. You lose the ability to register a response when you've gone to the well too many times.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron