Oklahoma Sooners @ Kansas We Don't Boo

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I can't stand the when Self intentionally gets a technical. Calls ALWAYS go his way after it. Refs should never be intimidated by coaches and players. Huggins and Self are notorious for intimidating refs and getting calls go their way.

That was Self's first T in 3 seasons. His last 2 T's came against ISU in 2013; one in Ames, one in the Big 12 Tourney.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The funny thing about the T was that Self was just chatting the ref up on the sideline before and as it happened, and neither Self nor the ref really had a great angle to see the play.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The funny thing about the T was that Self was just chatting the ref up on the sideline before and as it happened, and neither Self nor the ref really had a great angle to see the play.
Did you see Bill wink afterwards as halftime approached. The old Bill Self take a T first half routing.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
My assumption is that Self was telling him something he did not like about a previous call or his performance to that point and the ref decided he was going to call something. When Mason made the play on the ball he made the call and Self knew right away the call was not made because the ref saw a foul.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
wow I thought ku never gets the calls at home tuco

It's an example of why winning in AFH is so hard. The refs get all caught up in the atmospherics and blow calls. That said, OU had plenty of opportunities to win the game. And overcoming home court advantages is part of the task. They didn't and lost.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I can't stand the when Self intentionally gets a technical. Calls ALWAYS go his way after it. Refs should never be intimidated by coaches and players. Huggins and Self are notorious for intimidating refs and getting calls go their way.
Phil Jackson was the same way but his was a more arrogant condescending type of intimidation, "How dare you call a foul on the misunderstood Dennis Rodman for pulling down and tripping the opponent while he wasn't looking."

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe its been addressed ad nauseum. But I thought OU made a glaring error TWICE by not going quick and trying to get 2 for 1 possessions at the end of both first AND second overtimes.

They had the ball with ~40 secs both times, and instead of letting Buddy, Cousins or Woodard try to make something happen quick (which they all can), they held the ball a while guaranteeing KU last shot. I thought they had enough time to get something quick, and still leave ~8-10 secs for a last possession, maybe that's not true. Didn't understand why they didn't do that.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe its been addressed ad nauseum. But I thought OU made a glaring error TWICE by not going quick and trying to get 2 for 1 possessions at the end of both first AND second overtimes. They had the ball with ~40 secs both times, and instead of letting Buddy, Cousins or Woodard try to make something happen quick (which they all can), they held the ball a while guaranteeing KU last shot. I thought they had enough time to get something quick, and still leave ~8-10 secs for a last possession, maybe that's not true. Didn't understand why they didn't do that.
Probably because two 8 second possessions are rarely worth as many points as one good possession.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Tuco is probably right here. It was neat when Fred did it, but you just are not going to find many college coaches that call for a two-for-one. Possessions are just so important, and so much can happen on each one.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe its been addressed ad nauseum. But I thought OU made a glaring error TWICE by not going quick and trying to get 2 for 1 possessions at the end of both first AND second overtimes.

They had the ball with ~40 secs both times, and instead of letting Buddy, Cousins or Woodard try to make something happen quick (which they all can), they held the ball a while guaranteeing KU last shot. I thought they had enough time to get something quick, and still leave ~8-10 secs for a last possession, maybe that's not true. Didn't understand why they didn't do that.

If I'm not mistaken, Hield didn't touch the ball on the last OU possession at the end of regulation, 1st OT, and 2nd OT. Seemed kind of odd to be taken the ball out the hands of an All-American . . . who could set the Big 12 single game record by making a shot!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, Hield didn't touch the ball on the last OU possession at the end of regulation, 1st OT, and 2nd OT. Seemed kind of odd to be taken the ball out the hands of an All-American . . . who could set the Big 12 single game record by making a shot!

Towards the end of something, Cousins threw up some pathetic shot on a drive. I'm thinking, WTH, this is the guy you are going with? Looked like Spangler was struggling with his leg and quit trying to score late in the game.