Olympic Wrestling

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Cox looks fat. Does not look like he’s been training seriously to beat Snyder. Not sure he’ll even make it that far.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
First, as a world class competitor, I suspect DC and KOT would want to give it a go and let the chips fall where they may. They don't get to the level they are at without that type of mindset. And as someone else pointed out Marsteller took out JB not that long ago.

Second, and I could be very wrong here, but it used to be there were some incentives for placing in the top X (3?) at the trials. I believe both financially and qualifying for other tournaments. That may have changed, but even if it has, I'm sure DC and KOT would like to see where they stack up between all the competitors, not just Dake.
The thought that any of these top level guys, especially in their prime - Carr and O’toole.. don’t want to toe the line and see a path to victory in their own head is stupid. That’s why they devoted their lives to this. To compete at the highest level with the best guys. They want to win an Olympic gold and now that opportunity is gone. They may get another opportunity in 4 years but nothing is guaranteed and their prime is now. “Upsets” happen all the time but Carr or O’toole most certainly could’ve made things interesting. It’s a shame they couldn’t compete primarily David

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
"Ducking" was probably a harsh word. @crablegs says it better. They both probably realized they more than likely aren't going to make the team even when healthy. Just got off a long grinding season. A little bit of fatigue probably set in. Throw in an injury and guessing it was pretty easy to drop out.
I think this is such a bad take. Imagine wrestlers not taking on a challenge because “they don’t think they can win” even when healthy. You realize sports is just competition to see who is best right? That’s literally the whole point of them training their whole lives. To just bow out and concede is wildly inaccurate. This is just a sport these guys want to compete against the best and believe they have a shot no matter how “difficult” their path is. It’s just one match at a time

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I think this is such a bad take. Imagine wrestlers not taking on a challenge because “they don’t think they can win” even when healthy. You realize sports is just competition to see who is best right? That’s literally the whole point of them training their whole lives. To just bow out and concede is wildly inaccurate. This is just a sport these guys want to compete against the best and believe they have a shot no matter how “difficult” their path is. It’s just one match at a time
The question for you is this, if DC was the favorite to make the team, do you think he’d be wrestling? Or, is his injury that severe that he literally cannot take the mat?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
The question for you is this, if DC was the favorite to make the team, do you think he’d be wrestling? Or, is his injury that severe that he literally cannot take the mat?
What does favorite have anything to do with competing? Betting odds don’t decide competition, competitors do. He was in a walking boot so I’m guessing he was injured enough that he couldn’t be David Carr on a wrestling mat.

I do think David had a pretty serious injury or I think he’d be out there because I think that he thinks he can win an Olympic gold medal. Others thing he is conceding that opportunity

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
What does favorite have anything to do with competing? Betting odds don’t decide competition, competitors do. He was in a walking boot so I’m guessing he was injured enough that he couldn’t be David Carr on a wrestling mat.
So you’re saying he could wrestle if he really wanted to?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
So you’re making my point. He could wrestle, but knows he can’t win so he’s not.
No because you used the word favored. I said he’s competing against the best in the world there are only negative consequences that can happen at the level he’s competing with the slimmest of margins. Your phase was that he’s not the favorite so he’s not even going to try. Your solution to the problem is I’m not trying because I’m not favored