OU PG Bijan Cortes Taking A Leave Of Absence

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
To be fair, we focus hard on all of it. Just because we all look forward to the dance doesn't mean we don't focus on the conference race and then the Big 12 Tourney. We focus on all of it because we are, as the top of the page says, fanatics.
I look at hoops season as 3 seasons in 1.

1st is non-con, 2nd is conference play, and 3rd is conference tourney & NCAA Tourney.

All are fun to watch, but season 3 is where it's at. And that's what everyone remembers going forward anyway. I mean, does anyone remember Villanova's reg-season record in '85 when they won it all? Or that of any National Champ for that matter?

There's nothing better than making a run in the Big XII and NCAA Tourney IMO.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Winning the B12 is so much more important and valuable than anything but a Final 4 to my way of thinking.

That's where we disagree, not that I mind the debate. Compare these 2 teams:

1. 2nd in the B12, win one game in NCAA.
2. 5th in the B12, play in Elite 8.

To me, that's a no-brainer. Obviously, there's some grey area. Winning the conference is awesome and I'd take that and a first or second round loss over what ISU did last year. But to me, if you are 2nd-7th in the B12, it doesn't matter all that much compared to what you do in the NCAA Tourney. Look at it this way: ISU finished, what, 7th in the B12 last year? They snuck into the NCAA and ended up playing in the S16. They turned that into a top 10 recruiting class. Like it or not, the thing that matters most is what you do in March.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
That's where we disagree, not that I mind the debate. Compare these 2 teams:

1. 2nd in the B12, win one game in NCAA.
2. 5th in the B12, play in Elite 8.

To me, that's a no-brainer. Obviously, there's some grey area. Winning the conference is awesome and I'd take that and a first or second round loss over what ISU did last year. But to me, if you are 2nd-7th in the B12, it doesn't matter all that much compared to what you do in the NCAA Tourney. Look at it this way: ISU finished, what, 7th in the B12 last year? They snuck into the NCAA and ended up playing in the S16. They turned that into a top 10 recruiting class. Like it or not, the thing that matters most is what you do in March.
I did write: Winning the B12 is so much more important and valuable than anything but a Final 4 to my way of thinking.

Additionally, I tend to live in day-tight compartments. So, that influences my negative view of all the forward thinking scenarios you boys seem to enjoy. I just don't see nor live life like that generally.

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Sweet sixteen or higher are always remembered well.

I’d recognize most players at this point in a round robin, whether bench players or not.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I did write: Winning the B12 is so much more important and valuable than anything but a Final 4 to my way of thinking.

Additionally, I tend to live in day-tight compartments. So, that influences my negative view of all the forward thinking scenarios you boys seem to enjoy. I just don't see nor live life like that generally.
You do the "you boys" thing a lot. Kinda odd.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006

Boys? 15 pounds of swinging meat and bucket-sized balls and you're calling us boys?

• Optimistic
  • Informative
Reactions: JP4CY and madguy30

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

There's really nothing more important in college basketball than the NCAA Tournament. That's everybody's goal at the start of each season in November. How to have the opportunity to play meaningful basketball into March. I just don't understand what you think is wrong with that. If Iowa State had 5 more regular season conference championship and 5 fewer Sweet 16 appearances just for example, I would probably look at our history in a more negative light than I do today. Give me the results in meaningful basketball games in March over 13-14 wins from January 1 to March 5 or whatever. Ideally you could have both, but that type of success is typically only enjoyed by the blue bloods

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Winning the B12 is so much more important and valuable than anything but a Final 4 to my way of thinking.

Like with Fran's son, I hope this turns out fine for the Sooner player. I don't know much about him. Seems to be an off the bench dude. But I can see how a season, social media, expectations, etc. can wear on a youngster.
Surly, I like you but you're off on this. Of course everyone wants to win their conference, but ultimately you're judged on what you do in March. Would you rather win the Big 12 and get upset in the first round, or finish 4th in the Big 12 and go to the Elite 8? Give me the latter every year.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Cortez reminds me of Nirvana era Dave Grohl

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 3

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I look at hoops season as 3 seasons in 1.

1st is non-con, 2nd is conference play, and 3rd is conference tourney & NCAA Tourney.

All are fun to watch, but season 3 is where it's at. And that's what everyone remembers going forward anyway. I mean, does anyone remember Villanova's reg-season record in '85 when they won it all? Or that of any National Champ for that matter?

There's nothing better than making a run in the Big XII and NCAA Tourney IMO.

The Thanksgiving week tourneys have become a favorite sporting event and the non conference seems way more fun as a result. With the NET becoming a thing the non-conference really is its own season.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and Klubber

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
KU's about the only program I can guess was the conference winner most years but otherwise I couldn't name the winner for about any conference over the last several years and there's a reason for that.
You also probably don't remember what most Big 12 teams have done in the NCAA tournament the last few years off the top of your head.

Obviously a National Title is more memerable than a Big 12 Title. What about a Sweet 16 vs. Big 12 Title? Round of 32?

People like to say "All that matters is what you do in March", but unless you're making the final 4, no one cares outside of your fan base. Hell, final 4 teams aren't even that memorable. Name the Final 4 teams of the last 10 years off the top of your head. I bet most people would get less than half for most years.

Thinking about it in terms of "what are other college basketball fans going to remember the most is the wrong approach". Fans of other programs aren't going to give a **** about what you did in the regular season, or NCAA tournament either way. The only thing that matters is what brings you the most enjoyment. Winning a Big 12 Title would bring me a hell of a lot of enjoyment. That would mean experiencing 13-14 Big 12 wins, knocking off conference rivals multiple times, etc....

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Some misunderstanding here. My focus is on today, yours on tomorrow it seems. Maybe that makes more or less sense. I really don't care about bracketology because it's meaningless for my team if they continue to win or lose.

That's why beating OU Wednesday on senior night is far more important to me than what some talking head or poster here has to say about where we'll be placed in the dance. When our States get there, then I'll tune in, but not until.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron