Play in game

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Think it was as bad of seed as they could have possibly gotten. No way BYU, Dayton, Nebraska, and Tenn. should have ALL been higher than Iowa. Iowa's resume was very similar to K-State, and they get the first #9, and Iowa is 12 spots lower than them???

The only thing that explains it is they took into consideration the last 10 games, which they claim the don't. Why say you don't, when you obviously do??

Honestly their play was the equivalent of flipping off the committee.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
I think it's easy for fans to say that they should rally around frans kid but honestly capping a poor stretch of play with personal issues and then having a play in game would make it hard for me to muster up motivation. By all accounts the team and the McCaffery family are tight.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I tend to think the kid won't be a rallying beacon for the team, after watching them lose to NW. I know if I were fran id just want privacy.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
Pat McCaffrey has a large tumor on his thyroid. It is not known whether it's malignant but the level of concerned you to believe that things don't look great.

That being said, pediatric thyroid cancer has a very high survival rate. However Fran looked absolutely horrible in his interview today. He clearly hasn't slept much.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pat McCaffrey has a large tumor on his thyroid. It is not known whether it's malignant but the level of concerned you to believe that things don't look great.

That being said, pediatric thyroid cancer has a very high survival rate. However Fran looked absolutely horrible in his interview today. He clearly hasn't slept much.

Who would? Everything else in life would pale in importance. This is just a game.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
They could easily rally for the kid as well. If they do I would honor the effort.

I get what you are saying, and got to wish the McCaffrey's the best in this situation,
but I just don't see the hawks succeeding.

You would think that they would have found plenty of motivation to win on senior day in Carver Hawkeye playing a very beatable team to give them some kind of a lift going into the B1G tourney. They laid an egg.

You would think that they would have found motivation in the first round of the B1G tournament to show people they are off the slide and beat a very poor Northwestern team -- including rallying around Fran's son. It didn't happen.

I just don't see where this other "motivation" is supposed to come from to make a run to the NCAA Sweet 16. They will have to play three games in less than a week to do so. They couldn't win three games in a week playing one NCAA tournament team and two non-NCAA tournament team which started their slide.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Think it was as bad of seed as they could have possibly gotten. No way BYU, Dayton, Nebraska, and Tenn. should have ALL been higher than Iowa. Iowa's resume was very similar to K-State, and they get the first #9, and Iowa is 12 spots lower than them???

The only thing that explains it is they took into consideration the last 10 games, which they claim the don't. Why say you don't, when you obviously do??

K State's RPI was much better and Iowa has lost 6 out of 7 including two horrible losses in a row. All those teams should have been higher than Iowa.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I think Iowa got seeded as they deserved. Based on what the committee released tonight, they were really on the bubble if I was reading it correctly. They've had one of the worst late season swoons of anyone in the tourney, so it seems appropriate for them to get a play in game to try and redeem the last 2 weeks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I think hok fans are really confused on this. When they say they don't take in to consideration the last 10 games, it doesn't mean that those games are erased from your record. They still count.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Partly as evidenced by Louisville, it's clear the committee leaned on RPI more than some would have liked. That had to impact Iowa's seeding.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I think hok fans are really confused on this. When they say they don't take in to consideration the last 10 games, it doesn't mean that those games are erased from your record. They still count.
Exactly. I don't think the committee put Iowa in the play in game because they lost 6 of their last 7, but put them there because of their low rpi. And you get a low rpi when you lose 6 of your last 7.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
K State's RPI was much better and Iowa has lost 6 out of 7 including two horrible losses in a row. All those teams should have been higher than Iowa.

Here's the thing, the committee PRETENDS it has criteria, they do whatever they want. If it is RPI drive, then explain how:

#10 RPI gets a #1 seed?
#8 RPI gets the last #3 seed?
#12 & #15 RPI get a #5 and #7 seed respectively?

K-State real time RPI of #51 gets a #9 seed and Iowa at #54 gets a #11 play in seed??

If RPI matters how does K-State and Iowa even get in when Missouri, Minnesota are both higher than K-State, and Florida St. is right after K-State, and before Iowa?

The committee does whatever they want and completely ignores the RPI. If it was RPI driven, they would just rank them according to RPI. But instead the committee takes teams with similar RPI (K-State, Iowa, Florida St.) all within fractions of each other, and one is a #9, one a #11 play in, and one is on the outside looking in.

I still say if you compare K-State, Iowa, BYU, Dayton, and Nebraska overall resume, there is no way that Iowa should be in a play in game......unless you are looking at the last 10 game, then I get it. Yet they tell us they don't use the last 10 games as a criteria. So either they are lying, or they are lying. Those are the only two options.

SammyWild

Mar 3, 2014
Wow, Dean.

The entirety of the season is taken into account, including the end of the season collapse you had. Iola's last "win" was a strugglefest with a bad Purdue team. You lost to teams that didn't make the tourney in equally bad Indiana and Northwestern. Even their good wins, Michigan, I guess o$u, and maybe Xavier, don't cancel losses out.

In yet another example of your lack of understanding/arrogance, you expect the committee to ignore the terrible manner in which your team has played.

You're right, though, they didn't get the seed they deserved, their in the wrong tournament.

Edit: forgot to add to the sentiment about the young McCaffrey child. Hope all goes well with his surgery.