Play in game

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Here's the thing, the committee PRETENDS it has criteria, they do whatever they want. If it is RPI drive, then explain how:

#10 RPI gets a #1 seed?
#8 RPI gets the last #3 seed?
#12 & #15 RPI get a #5 and #7 seed respectively?

K-State real time RPI of #51 gets a #9 seed and Iowa at #54 gets a #11 play in seed??

If RPI matters how does K-State and Iowa even get in when Missouri, Minnesota are both higher than K-State, and Florida St. is right after K-State, and before Iowa?

The committee does whatever they want and completely ignores the RPI. If it was RPI driven, they would just rank them according to RPI. But instead the committee takes teams with similar RPI (K-State, Iowa, Florida St.) all within fractions of each other, and one is a #9, one a #11 play in, and one is on the outside looking in.

I still say if you compare K-State, Iowa, BYU, Dayton, and Nebraska overall resume, there is no way that Iowa should be in a play in game......unless you are looking at the last 10 game, then I get it. Yet they tell us they don't use the last 10 games as a criteria. So either they are lying, or they are lying. Those are the only two options.

You should be happy they didn't. If they went strictly by RPI, Iowa isn't in at all. There is also the possibility that these people have eyeballs and can tell a train wreck when they see one.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Well we learned one thing for certain, good losses or losses to teams you are better than, didn't count as much with the committee as Iowa and their fans were hoping.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Here's the thing, the committee PRETENDS it has criteria, they do whatever they want. If it is RPI drive, then explain how:

#10 RPI gets a #1 seed?

K-State real time RPI of #51 gets a #9 seed and Iowa at #54 gets a #11 play in seed??

If RPI matters how does K-State and Iowa even get in when Missouri, Minnesota are both higher than K-State, and Florida St. is right after K-State, and before Iowa?

The committee does whatever they want and completely ignores the RPI. If it was RPI driven, they would just rank them according to RPI. But instead the committee takes teams with similar RPI (K-State, Iowa, Florida St.) all within fractions of each other, and one is a #9, one a #11 play in, and one is on the outside looking in.

I still say if you compare K-State, Iowa, BYU, Dayton, and Nebraska overall resume, there is no way that Iowa should be in a play in game......unless you are looking at the last 10 game, then I get it. Yet they tell us they don't use the last 10 games as a criteria. So either they are lying, or they are lying. Those are the only two options.

Depth.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Wow, Dean.

The entirety of the season is taken into account, including the end of the season collapse you had. Iola's last "win" was a strugglefest with a bad Purdue team. You lost to teams that didn't make the tourney in equally bad Indiana and Northwestern. Even their good wins, Michigan, I guess o$u, and maybe Xavier, don't cancel losses out.

In yet another example of your lack of understanding/arrogance, you expect the committee to ignore the terrible manner in which your team has played.

You're right, though, they didn't get the seed they deserved, their in the wrong tournament.

Edit: forgot to add to the sentiment about the young McCaffrey child. Hope all goes well with his surgery.

Don't let another discussion cloud your judgement in this one. Not many predictors out there had Dayton, BYU in the tourney, let alone above an Iowa.

Plus it is all objective. I also think ISU deserved a #2 seed, not the last #3 seed. Virginia at a #1 to me doesn't make any sense if you look at the body or work, and several other items. They have a very difficult job setting this up, so in the scheme of things you can always pick several nits. Most teams are gonna think they are down a spot or two from what they got seeded.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Overall ISU is a very classy fan base.....yet there always has to be that 1 DBag that is the exception to the rule. Congrats on being that 1 DBag.
It's an observation of what appears to be the truth. The team didn't play like a team inspired by a kid with health issues.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

#10 RPI gets a #1 seed?

RealTimeRPI.com Men's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

K State's RPI is 14 spots higher and they play in the best conference in college basketball. BYU, Dayton and Nebraska all have better RPI's than Iowa. Don't really see how you could complain about Iowa's seed, they were the definition of a bubble team (which is what I told you before the season).

You should be happy anyways, you cheer for ISU and we just had a great weekend of basketball...enjoy it Deano!

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
RealTimeRPI.com Men's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

K State's RPI is 14 spots higher and they play in the best conference in college basketball. BYU, Dayton and Nebraska all have better RPI's than Iowa. Don't really see how you could complain about Iowa's seed, they were the definition of a bubble team (which is what I told you before the season).

You should be happy anyways, you cheer for ISU and we just had a great weekend of basketball...enjoy it Deano!

I think I will be updating your avatar in the next couple days.

My nephew is going to be heading to SA to catch the games. He is in college (UNI), and doesn't know if they are going to go to the game??? What the heck is wrong with college kids, why the heck go down, and not go to the games? I might just buy him a ticket to the games, as I know it is probably a money thing. I remember going to Minneapolis when ISU was there in 2002 or 2003 I think. Those games were awesome, the only time I've been to any of the NCAA tourney games.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

#10 RPI gets a #1 seed?

RPI is ONE TOOL the committee uses, its not the only one. But even so, let's compare Iowa and K-State's RPI:

Iowa has 5 Top 50 wins but 3 of them are against teams that barely snuck in: Xavier (49), Nebraska (46), and Minnesota (50). So they really had 2 solid wins ALL YEAR, against Michigan (9) and OSU (24).

K-State had 7 Top 50 wins and only ONE was on the fringe of the Top 50, Oklahoma State (45). They have wins against #3, #8, #22, #28, #29, #36, and #45.

It's crystal clear that K-State's resume is way better than Iowa's. I do think Iowa deserved to be in the tournament, but you can't complain about where they were placed. Beat Indiana (RPI 98) or Northwestern (RPI 123) and you aren't in the play-in game.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
RPI is ONE TOOL the committee uses, its not the only one. But even so, let's compare Iowa and K-State's RPI:

Iowa has 5 Top 50 wins but 3 of them are against teams that barely snuck in: Xavier (49), Nebraska (46), and Minnesota (50). So they really had 2 solid wins ALL YEAR, against Michigan (9) and OSU (24).

K-State had 7 Top 50 wins and only ONE was on the fringe of the Top 50, Oklahoma State (45). They have wins against #3, #8, #22, #28, #29, #36, and #45.

It's crystal clear that K-State's resume is way better than Iowa's. I do think Iowa deserved to be in the tournament, but you can't complain about where they were placed. Beat Indiana (RPI 98) or Northwestern (RPI 123) and you aren't in the play-in game.

I can complain about whatever I want!! At least that is what my wife tells me all the time.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I can complain about whatever I want!! At least that is what my wife tells me all the time.

If Iowa loses are Hawk fans going to be wanting Fran fired all off season? I see he's getting a hefty raise for getting in the play in game

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Ha! But seriously, you see how comparing K-State and Iowa doesn't hold water?

Now if you want to complain/compare about Dayton (they are going to put the host school of the play-in games in a play-in game), BYU, NC State, then I understand that. But when you get to the last handful of teams, it really doesn't matter the order. Because as I said, none of those teams can complain about where they are placed....they should have won another game or two.

CloneJob

Jan 10, 2009
Ankeny
Barta is like saying "oh ****, I meant $200K if you get to the real tourney"... he never thought Francis would sneak into a play in game.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Ha! But seriously, you see how comparing K-State and Iowa doesn't hold water?

Now if you want to complain/compare about Dayton (they are going to put the host school of the play-in games in a play-in game), BYU, NC State, then I understand that. But when you get to the last handful of teams, it really doesn't matter the order. Because as I said, none of those teams can complain about where they are placed....they should have won another game or two.

You also conveniently ignored the fact that K-State has waaaaayyyyyy worse bad losses. UNCO (202), Char (150 RPI) WVU (#87) and Georgetown (68)?? Much, much worse than Iowas two bad losses of jNW (123 PRI) and Indiana (#97 RPI) Illinois (63) Minny (47)

Listen, I'm not going to cry about what Iowa got seeded, as they shouldn't have lost 6 of 7. I'm not even saying that K-State shouldn't be higher than Iowa, as my real beef isn't against K-State. I'm just saying their resume wasn't 2 seeds higher than Iowas, and BYU and Dayton certainly weren't better resumes than Iowa. All that said, once again, Iowa is in this spot, cause the sh** the bed, and they put themselves in this spot to get this seed.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
If Iowa loses are Hawk fans going to be wanting Fran fired all off season? I see he's getting a hefty raise for getting in the play in game

Nobody is going to be calling for Fran's head. Look where this program was when he came in. Yet he underachieved with this years team, there is no doubt about that.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
compared to pre-season expectations, iowa didnt underachieve that badly. it was the collapse that apparently has everyone riled up. in reality their ratings just got inflated due to an easier than expected schedule. I was personally thinking they were a bubble team coming in to this year .

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Nobody is going to be calling for Fran's head. Look where this program was when he came in. Yet he underachieved with this years team, there is no doubt about that.

I don't think he underachieved at all to be honest with you. Iowa lacks talent but has plenty of experience, as other younger, talented teams play together more they gain experience and get better while Iowa stayed the same.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Fran's seat is by no means hot, or even very warm, but this year's collapse is having an impact. He's starting to lose people. It may only be a trickle now, but if Iowa loses on Wednesday, there will be more. And if they take a step back next year? Open the floodgates.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
You also conveniently ignored the fact that K-State has waaaaayyyyyy worse bad losses. UNCO (202), Char (150 RPI) WVU (#87) and Georgetown (68)?? Much, much worse than Iowas two bad losses of jNW (123 PRI) and Indiana (#97 RPI) Illinois (63) Minny (47)

Listen, I'm not going to cry about what Iowa got seeded, as they shouldn't have lost 6 of 7. I'm not even saying that K-State shouldn't be higher than Iowa, as my real beef isn't against K-State. I'm just saying their resume wasn't 2 seeds higher than Iowas, and BYU and Dayton certainly weren't better resumes than Iowa. All that said, once again, Iowa is in this spot, cause the sh** the bed, and they put themselves in this spot to get this seed.

"Waaaaaaaay" worse? No way. They have one more bad loss (UNCO 202 the first game of the season).

Char vs. Northwestern
WVU vs. Indiana
Georgetown (who was part of the first 4 out) vs. Illinois

Again, Northern CO was the outlier and really the only difference in losses when you compare the 2. But they have SO MANY more quality wins that loss easily gets offset.