Status
Not open for further replies.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The entire masthead at the top of the page is a real mess right now, IMO:
[...]
If you do nothing else, I think the top of the page needs to be condensed, because it is way too ad-heavy.

Completely agree...

Also it appears that the left menu panel is significantly wider now as well, and I assume that is to accommodate wider ads. When you get past the menu and ads, there is a bunch of dead space.

Also, when creating a post, the editor window is cut off, unless you make your browser window real wide, and there is quite a bit of dead space to the left of the editor window, as shown below. It seems that the editor window could be moved over to better utilize the dead space.

EDIT: OK, I guess attaching files to posts isn't working for me...

Last edited:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Looks sharp, although will take a little getting used to. I'll post other feedback as it comes. Cool.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
OK, I have a new biggest gripe: The stories posted on the front page aren't posted in the forum!!!! There is a completely different "comment" feature for front page stories. That is just horrible. We have a great interactive forum here, and we can't respond to things posted on the front page.

My overall perception is that this wasn't designed to be user friendly. Everything Jeremy did in designing this site was to make it more user friendly for every Cyclone fan. I don't feel the redesign has the same priorities behind it. There is no way that Jeremy would EVER have thought about having a separate comment section on the front page for one second.

This

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I like the look, nice job.

What about getting a "New Post" button, that was the way I surfed the forums before, seemed easiest to me.

Can we limit the size of pictures in people's sig lines? Some people have huge pictures (one of them that sticks out is some hawkeye crap, makes the pages more cumbersome to surf.

Keep up the good work, thanks.

This^^^ I used that link 95% of the time

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This^^^ I used that link 95% of the time

New posts button is now on the left side under the forum menu. I know threw me for a change also.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Thanks for all of your replies everybody. We are working feverishly to take care of some of this stuff. Please, again, just post respective critics of what's going on here. Random "I like the old one better" comments do nobody any good. We're trying to make this thing the best site possible. Give us some specifics and we'll take a closer look into everything. I'm literally copying down all of your concerns and working on everything. Your input is very important to us.

Thanks for everything and Go Cyclones!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Is there anyway we can get some more ads per page? Right now I'm only seeing 8

I think if you were able to put on another 2 or 3 I'd have to scroll down an entire page to get to the actual forum content, opposed to only needing to scroll down half a page now. That would be ideal.

Firefox & Adblock Plus will take care of that. Block anything that has "hawkeye" in it. BTW - that REALLY bugs me. More ******* hawkeyes on CF.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
This is from the letter the new owners posted a few weeks ago. Should answer your question.

As some of you might have noticed this week, Jon Miller has moved his Hawkeye Nation site to a free model that resembles what we have had here at CF since the site’s inception. Our new look and layout will be very similar to that of Jon as we are using the same programmer to do our web design. Jon has owned the best Hawkeye boards in the business the past 10 years, so we have worked with him over the past few months to share some good ideas for ways we can add a benefit for our users, while still running on same free business model. Although our sites will have a similar feel, Jon Miller has NO financial or ownership interest in Cyclone Fanatic and likewise, we have NO financial or ownership interest in Hawkeye Nation. This is really no different than Rivals or Scout having the same look for team sites, but having different owners for each site. As Iowa State fans, we wouldn’t be in this if we didn’t have complete control of our site.
It's extremely obvious the same programmer is being used for both sites. I hope you're not paying that much because all they had to do is change the background image on the home page and a few colors for the separate sites once they got the basic template figured out. I think they need to reconfigure the width of the ad bar at the top. At least on my screen (and from the looks of the screenshots) the last ad is getting bumped down, which then messes up the status box, etc.. below it. I don't know what the max width they have set, but I'm on a 17" monitor with the window maximized.

Looking through the source code, I see some of the ads are hosted on the HawkeyeNation site. It might be a PITA, but to really be completely separate sites, those ads need hosted on our server as well. There's a huge potential for cross linking between here and HN, which would only make it appear more like they're owned by the same people.

I know any message board that uses the vBulletin software is going to look similar, but I think one thing that the majority of CFers liked was the fact CF WASN'T your standard, cookie-cutter site; it didn't look like CR or any other site out there.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
all and all I really like the front page! Content is awesome and easily assessable.

A few minor things: that "Cyclone Fanatic" symbol could be a little bigger for my taste. Also it seems like the "cardianl" color is a little off. Doesn't seem quite right, almost has a dark pinkish look to it. And I lost a 1 million credits.

I know it's early and I'm sure all of the above is being worked on. Great work to everyone involved. I know it's a big process. Good luck!

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think someone may have mentioned it earlier, but I'd like to make sure it was noticed: The unbolding of the headline on the forum page when you'd read the most recent post was a great feature.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A thought... are you going to keep the donation system with the site going for profit? If not, go ahead and remove that from the left bar.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
It's extremely obvious the same programmer is being used for both sites. I hope you're not paying that much because all they had to do is change the background image on the home page and a few colors for the separate sites once they got the basic template figured out. I think they need to reconfigure the width of the ad bar at the top. At least on my screen (and from the looks of the screenshots) the last ad is getting bumped down, which then messes up the status box, etc.. below it. I don't know what the max width they have set, but I'm on a 17" monitor with the window maximized.

Looking through the source code, I see some of the ads are hosted on the HawkeyeNation site. It might be a PITA, but to really be completely separate sites, those ads need hosted on our server as well. There's a huge potential for cross linking between here and HN, which would only make it appear more like they're owned by the same people.

I know any message board that uses the vBulletin software is going to look similar, but I think one thing that the majority of CFers liked was the fact CF WASN'T your standard, cookie-cutter site; it didn't look like CR or any other site out there.

And I hate looking at that "hawkey" text in the paths to images/ads. Yes, that's the spelling they use.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Just a reminder that we are currently in a time warp for a message board, It takes time for all previous info, bookie events, credits, messages to be transfered AND loaded. Some of this may need 1-2 days, please be PATIENT. CF and CW are working on the issues as quickly as possible.....

GO CYCLONES!

Status
Not open for further replies.