Podcast recommendations

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Making a cross country drive and need recommendations in addition to CF and Iowa Everywhere. (Non-political, light, funny, interesting would be the key words)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Just a few episodes of Hardcore History would get you most of the way. But it’s neither light nor funny.

SVPod is my go to for “sports”, especially on golf major weeks. Very light and usually funny.

Reactions: RezClone

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
There are a bunch of comedians with pretty good podcasts if you are looking for a laugh. Try a few and see if they are your flavor or not. Some are more political than others.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There are a bunch of comedians with pretty good podcasts if you are looking for a laugh. Try a few and see if they are your flavor or not. Some are more political than others.
I used to listen to a ton of these but eventually got really bored of them. Like all of them. I still enjoy stand up, but the podcasts just turn into them whining about being cancelled (although none of them have been), telling vague stories about other comedians they won’t identify, or talking about the crazy mundane details of booking gigs and what not.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Small Town Murder is ******* hilarious and a great time killer. It’s two comedians who tell the whole story of a murder that happened in a small American town. They start with the history of the town, and then tell the whole story of the people involved, how things went down, and then the ensuing court proceedings. Just cracking jokes the whole way (although never at the expense of the deceased).

Reactions: JM4CY

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The Confused Breakfast

3 guys from the Cedar Rapids area who review nostalgic movies from the 80s and 90s. Definitely worth a listen.

Also
Secretly Incredibly Fascinating

The guy just picks a seemingly random, boring topic, and does a bunch of research on its history to show why it's a lot more interesting than you originally thought.

Reactions: JM4CY

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
"how stuff works" is interesting and funny at times, but I highly recommend you look for episodes that seem interesting instead of listening 1 by 1. It gives you that itch of weird fun facts you can bring up in conversation.

"anthropocene review" based off the author's (John Green) book and is more of a continuation of topics and essays you find from the book. Pretty much an educational exploration of how humans have changed the earth and their environment. Similarly, a bit to how stuff works but more serious and in-depth.

"Duncan Tressel family hour" if you liked the netflix show "midnight gospel" this is the podcast the audio comes from. Adult themes though so I wouldn't listen if you have young kids in the car. Think of wacky and profound interviews depending on the guest. A similar format to joe rogan but with a less problematic host. He has on people who practice ceremonial magic and also has civil right activists that talk about their stories. I remembered a few months ago he had a Daoist monk on that had a Near death experience and they talked about it. My one caveat is, Duncan isn't always the best host imo. He at times seems to insert himself into the interview with a comment when i wish he would just let the interviewee continue.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I’ve gotten into AYG. Start with comedians you know and like. The concept of this show is pretty damn good and likely hits home with most Iowans.

Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I used to listen to a ton of these but eventually got really bored of them. Like all of them. I still enjoy stand up, but the podcasts just turn into them whining about being cancelled (although none of them have been), telling vague stories about other comedians they won’t identify, or talking about the crazy mundane details of booking gigs and what not.

I’ve definitely removed most from my feed because of this. I’ll definitely skip others when certain comedians are on too. There are some off the wall ones that are still pretty good.

AYG (great concept and the hosts are funny)
Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast
Stavvy’s World
Bad Friends
Stuff Island
YMH (although this one is getting pretty bad now too)

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Smartless (Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, Sean Hayes) interview peeps.

Armchair Quartback - Dax Shepard and friend interview peeps again long form.

Huberman labs

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I listen to a lot of podcasts on my commutes to work and driving kids around. I also listen to everything on 1.2 speed, but if I'm taking a big trip I drop that down so the podcasts take longer. My weekly podcast rotation consists of:

Get Played - a really funny video game podcast. Their old format they used to play crappy games and talk about them, but it burnt them out, so now its just a general game podcast with themed episodes.

Last Podcast on the Left - a true crime and history podcast. Their main episodes are really good but their secondary stuff isn't real great. Most of their main episodes are a series on a historical event or a murderer/murders. They just did a 5 part series on the Manhattan Project that was really good.

Criminal - a true crime podcast that focus more on obscure criminal issues. Recent episodes were on bog bodies, prison newspapers, the first CPR doll. Lots of random interesting stuff.

99% Invisible - a design podcast about interesting stories behind relatively mundane design things. Lots of random stuff, usually focuses on the built environment, but sometimes its other things. A recent interesting one was on closed captions on tv and youtube.

Triple Click - a videogame podcast that usually talks about general gaming topics. Tends to be more up-to-date so dunno how good listening to old episodes would be.

Then if I don't have one of the above to listen to, I fill in with:

CF & Iowa Everywhere podcasts

Stuff You Should Know - podcast that dive into random topics, some are good, some aren't as interesting.

Doughboys - podcast that reviews fast food chains and menu items, primarily a funny podcast that skews towards food related stuff.

Blank Check with Griffin & David - a movie podcast where they do deep dives into the movies of various directors. Each episode will be one movie of the director and they tend to be around 2 hours long. I usually pull these out for longer car rides.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I’ve definitely removed most from my feed because of this. I’ll definitely skip others when certain comedians are on too. There are some off the wall ones that are still pretty good.

AYG (great concept and the hosts are funny)
Matt and Shane’s Secret Podcast
Stavvy’s World
Bad Friends
Stuff Island
YMH (although this one is getting pretty bad now too)
Stavvy ******* kills me. I actually listened to YMH recently because he was on. The Mommies have become the people they used to hate

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320