Podcast recommendations

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I tried Stavvy. I think I can see the appeal but the one I tried he talked about his **** and balls for like a half hour and I gave up. I’m no prude and definitely appreciate a good penis joke but it was too much even for me. I don’t need a 5 minute explanation of what his balls look like
I don’t listen to his podcast, I just think he’s a really funny guy and a total character. I’m really out on comedy podcasts in general.

Reactions: JM4CY

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Small Town Murder is ******* hilarious and a great time killer. It’s two comedians who tell the whole story of a murder that happened in a small American town. They start with the history of the town, and then tell the whole story of the people involved, how things went down, and then the ensuing court proceedings. Just cracking jokes the whole way (although never at the expense of the deceased).
There’s an Iowa-centric version of this called DIEOWA. I haven’t sampled it yet, but I know their “LEO expert” and need to check it out.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Small Town Murder is ******* hilarious and a great time killer. It’s two comedians who tell the whole story of a murder that happened in a small American town. They start with the history of the town, and then tell the whole story of the people involved, how things went down, and then the ensuing court proceedings. Just cracking jokes the whole way (although never at the expense of the deceased).

I like their crime and sports one too. The guy named James was also doing one with his wife where they crapped on rom com movies.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
I’m a big Bill Simmons fan. He’s excellent with NBA coverage on his own podcast, and sometime he discusses some other interesting topics based on who he has as his guest.

And The Rewatchables is a great podcast where him and other Ringer staff will watch an older movie and go over the ins and outs of the film from the actors/actresses, to the plot, to fun facts, etc.
Rewatchables is awesome.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Split Zone Duo.

I like it so much I've been paying for the premium version (going on 2 years, I think), which is a little out of character for me.

I do listen to Pardon my take but generally skip straight to the interviews

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

giphy.gif

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I kept seeing recommendations for "60 Songs That Explain the '90s" so I finally jumped in last week, and it's excellent. (And I guess there's an accompanying book out now too.)

I will also echo others' recommendations of "The Rewatchables." It's another very good one.

There's a podcast called "One Year" that does a season on different years in US history and the interesting things that happened in that year. They've done seasons for 1977, 1995, 1986, 1942, 1955, and a new season on 1990 is coming soon.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone got any good history podcasts? Looking primarily for American Civil War stuff.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Anyone got any good history podcasts? Looking primarily for American Civil War stuff.
I've dabbled in a couple Civil War Podcasts but they didn't grab me.

For American History I really like Presidential by Washington Post that gives interesting glimpses into all the US presidents, not just the well known ones.

Not quite as polished but if you want a DEEP dive on the American Revolution, https://pod.amrevpodcast.com/ is good.

Mike Duncan's History of Rome as well as Revolutions are unmissable as history fans. Though the first dozen or so episodes of Rome are a bit rough around the edges.

History of England is another fantastic one if you like detailed storytelling. https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/