Pollard an AD candidate at Nebby?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It’s interesting they named the unmc chancellor to President. It sounds like they’re working to combine UNL and UNMC to regain AAU status.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
It’s interesting they named the unmc chancellor to President. It sounds like they’re working to combine UNL and UNMC to regain AAU status.
That seems to be the thought. And Dannen returning back to the Midwest,after only 5 months at Washington.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Knowing how Jamie is it's comical to think he would consider going to Nebraska after going out on a huge limb to hire Fred only to have him run off to a horrible situation in the NBA that predictably ended bad.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
They are desperate to regain the AAU status...deathly afraid that they will be left out of the conference on the next media contract. I have no idea why they would fear that...the majority of the SEC doesn't have that status. I mean, if ISU wanted that status back, couldn't they purchase/pursue a medical center in Central Iowa...if that was the way to do it?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
They are desperate to regain the AAU status...deathly afraid that they will be left out of the conference on the next media contract. I have no idea why they would fear that...the majority of the SEC doesn't have that status. I mean, if ISU wanted that status back, couldn't they purchase/pursue a medical center in Central Iowa...if that was the way to do it?

It's not nearly that easy.

When it comes to research, university affiliated medical institutions pretty much set the bar outside of a select few institutions (like a Mayo) that get major funding dollars. University systems are cultivated over years, multiple decades even, to acquire the talent, build infrastructure, and have the facilities to attract said talent, retain it, acquire grants for research, and build a reputation. Simply going out and buying a hospital doesn't accomplish that. In fact, you could argue it might be "easier" to start from scratch given the dynamics. Unless of course, you could somehow buy/purchase a reputable institution with facilities, infrastructure and location. Problem is, even if that exists, it/they probably isn't for sale, let alone legal hurdles that may or may not exist.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Board of regents wouldn’t allow ISU to start up a med school. It’s not just about owning a hospital, it’s the research and education as part of the system.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It's not nearly that easy.

When it comes to research, university affiliated medical institutions pretty much set the bar outside of a select few institutions (like a Mayo) that get major funding dollars. University systems are cultivated over years, multiple decades even, to acquire the talent, build infrastructure, and have the facilities to attract said talent, retain it, acquire grants for research, and build a reputation. Simply going out and buying a hospital doesn't accomplish that. In fact, you could argue it might be "easier" to start from scratch given the dynamics. Unless of course, you could somehow buy/purchase a reputable institution with facilities, infrastructure and location. Problem is, even if that exists, it/they probably isn't for sale, let alone legal hurdles that may or may not exist.
In addition to that, the faculty and administration at the newly acquired medical campus would have to be folded under the administration at the flagship campus, all the research funding would have to be merged under one banner, and federally funded medical research dollars coming in would have to significantly outpace Ag research funding. Not impossible but not easy.

Reactions: ZRF

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I’m ready to be enlightened..
@carvers4math
They don’t call it the College of Veterinary Medicine for nothing. It’s not exactly the College of Tinker Toys. And when a friend from my dorm floor applied to it, she was not accepted but did get into the College of Patients who can say what hurts in Iowa City. At least at that time, it was more difficult to be accepted because there were fewer Colleges of Veterinary Medicine than the other kind. Not sure if that remains the case.
US News & World Report ranks our little extra tailgating space at 11th best School of Veterinary Medicine in the country.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
They don’t call it the College of Veterinary Medicine for nothing. It’s not exactly the College of Tinker Toys. And when a friend from my dorm floor applied to it, she was not accepted but did get into the College of Patients who can say what hurts in Iowa City. At least at that time, it was more difficult to be accepted because there were fewer Colleges of Veterinary Medicine than the other kind. Not sure if that remains the case.
US News & World Report ranks our little extra tailgating space at 11th best School of Veterinary Medicine in the country.
Sure, US News and Report ranks us highly but what do the patients say?

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY