Pollard an AD candidate at Nebby?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No inside info at all, but I'm confident Pollard will retire here as long as the university will keep him.
I assume he's got a few more years at ISU, then spends his retirement in Panora. He's got a nice setup there.

Reactions: aauummm

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Really feel like the Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa level AD jobs are going to go rapidly down the list of desirability until NIL and realignment is fully settled. If the B1G and SEC break off all bets are off.

These fan bases are going to want to dump money into football to be competitive but don't have the type of money the true big shots do in the Big10 and won't be able to meet their fans expectations. Their ceilings will be 9-3ish but never really have a chance at a B1G title and an outside chance at a playoff depending on how much the other leagues are held hostage.

Illinois/Purdue/Indiana are kind of similar but at least have focused on basketball where they could have success, on limited budgets (comparatively).

A&M at least has the money to feed their delusions.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
While not "old", and while people in his position often times have egos and a desire for new opportunities driving their decisions, I can't fathom wanting to spend your final years working at Nebraska. At least at Iowa State the expectations are fairly in-check by all but the vocal minority. He'd have a bigger budget but he'd have to deal with the **** going on in the B1G and more pressure to be a big player in NIL. Those are headaches largely absent at ISU.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Trev Alberts is a colossal Dbag. Will fit in well in College Station, what a weird and creepy place. Simultaneously sad he is no longer at Nebraska, made it easy to dislike them.
So I have to wonder... does the AD have to budget for the jacko' jars or how's that get paid for? I assume at this point they've invested in Ball.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and HGoat1

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
While not "old", and while people in his position often times have egos and a desire for new opportunities driving their decisions, I can't fathom wanting to spend your final years working at Nebraska. At least at Iowa State the expectations are fairly in-check by all but the vocal minority. He'd have a bigger budget but he'd have to deal with the **** going on in the B1G and more pressure to be a big player in NIL. Those are headaches largely absent at ISU.
At times it seems like he struggles to deal some of the fans with crazy expectations here at ISU where most people understand the task at hand. I do not think he'd do well in a much higher profile job with a fanbase like Nebraska.

Reactions: Jer

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

You have spent 20+ years building Iowa State to what it is, you have established and successful coaches at every major sport, you are building your legacy CyTown project, you have a relationship with the President that you enjoy - now is the time to bask in the glory of everything you've built. Not go to a place like Nebraska. ZERO chance he goes there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I assume he's got a few more years at ISU, then spends his retirement in Panora. He's got a nice setup there.
Now I see the huge Landus link to ISU. Carstens had a big lake house there also. Didn’t understand why a cooperative would spend that much money at a school. When there isn’t much choice of co-ops.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yep, makes you wonder what is going on at Nebraska in the administration there. I get it everybody loves money and I'm sure Alberts is getting a nice raise to go to A&M but I don't think Trev was hurting for money even before he got into Athletic Administration. With it being his alma mater thought he might be more loyal but who knows what's going on behind the scenes there.
Neither was Les Miles. But he took the KU job, banked like $10M and then proceeded to absolutely not try very hard at work.

Maybe Trev sees a huge paycheck and will similarly mail it in...

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and nrg4isu

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think Jamie has shown he's a legacy guy. He's got his guys in place and I doubt he would chase a bigger paycheck to tarnish that. My guess is he retires at some point and if he takes another job it would be an advisory type with the NCAA or whatever entity is running college sports at that time.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah, I don't want to minimize what his job takes or what these turbulent times involve, but here he can focus largely on seeing 20 years worth of plans through to the finish. At Nebraska you're basically back at the start of that process.

Reactions: NWICY

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
aTm is one of those football programs I'm always surprised when I look up their on field history. No national titles in the last 80 years and no conference titles in the last 25 years. Their on field success is below schools like Tennessee and Auburn, which always surprises me because my perception is that they are at least comparable if not better.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
The one thing is that I could see Pollard getting ground down with ISU fans (online) complaining about almost everything he does these days. But yeah he's not leaving, especially with CyTown in the works.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lineup

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
The one thing is that I could see Pollard getting ground down with ISU fans (online) complaining about almost everything he does these days. But yeah he's not leaving, especially with CyTown in the works.
Yes we have our complainers but it's still small potatoes compared to what a lot of schools are like. I like Pollard but think he's probably too thin-skinned to work at a lot of these places.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Fans are a part of the job. Jamie isn't bothered by fan opinions.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and Lineup