PREDICTIONS: Iowa State at Texas

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Yeah, and we just showed we can go on the road in one of the most difficult places to win & get the job done. You can mention 18 threes, I can mention 3 first half rebounds. I'd bet a large sum that neither happen again this year.

I'm not guaranteeing a win or anything, but if people aren't predicting a win tonight I guess they won't be predicting any other road wins either? You can list results from the last 5 years all you want, but this Texas team isn't that good. This is one of the most winnable games we have left on the road.
We very well could win. I don't think anyone has said that we can't. I personally won't predict another road win so you are right on that. I just think we struggle on the road more than we should against all the remaining road games except West Virginia, and they are better than us. So I think we lose a close one.

Also can people stop saying Texas is bad. They are the number 71 Kenpom team. They are very young but they aren't bad.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
We very well could win. I don't think anyone has said that we can't. I personally won't predict another road win so you are right on that. I just think we struggle on the road more than we should against all the remaining road games except West Virginia, and they are better than us. So I think we lose a close one.

Also can people stop saying Texas is bad. They are the number 71 Kenpom team. They are very young but they aren't bad.

I said this Texas team isn't that good, I think 71st qualifies as that. Never said they are bad.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Naz, Monte and Burton shot amazing from 3 last game. That usually evens out the next game. Law of averages say we shoot poorly.

Well that means Matt should be hot, him with our new found inside presence =Cyclone win (I hope)

Reactions: SCyclone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
1) I'm glad you were being silly, I was just pointing out that single outlier stats can be taken from both sides.
2) I didn't say you said it wasn't winnable. Just like I'm not saying it's impossible to lose.
3) We definitely could have a letdown. I think this is less likely than your #5, though
4) Home Big 12 record: 3-2
Road Big 12 record: 3-2
5) More likely than your #3, IMO
6) Agree, which is part of why I'm confused with so many fans predicting we'll lose this one.
7) Predicting losses in every road game but expecting to win some doesn't make sense to me. I get not knowing which ones we'll win, but I don't get why that defaults to a prediction of LOSS for every game. Logic to me would say you predict wins over the worst teams on the schedule?
8) Enjoy the game. I'd prefer it to go like the home game against Texas which felt like we were in control the whole game, but I'm not counting on it. Most likely another tight one that takes years off cyclone fans' lives.

Again, I'm not saying people can't predict us to lose. It is possible. I'm just struggling to see how that's deemed the most likely outcome by so many here, all things considered.

My prediction of a loss of every road game is not a decision by default. It's a prediction based on what I think will happen based on respect to the teams we play. My respect may be over-inflated but it's still there. If Texas had some injuries I would change my prediction. We are arguing about predictions so I feel silly.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
My gut says it's a loss. It defies logic of each team's profile, but college basketball works this way.

Then ISU buries OU at home.

It's really tough to win on the road. I don't think it defies logic. There's a reason we're a one possession favorite in this game. One possession - that's practically a toss-up.

I hope the Cyclones win, but to get to 4 wins on the road and 2 losses with 3 road games left in Big XII play is unheard of at ISU! I think ISU has only had one or maybe two teams in the past 20 years who have won more games than they've lost on the road in conference play. So, I hope people aren't expecting the win. Just be pleasantly surprised if it happens. If I had to guess, I'd say UT wins a close one.

If they pound it inside to Cleare and Allen, it will be tough to stop them; we just don't have any size. Don't blame the players, but we don't have a 6-10" guy to counter theirs. Still, our guards will keep it close and this seems like a toss-up to me.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I said this Texas team isn't that good, I think 71st qualifies as that. Never said they are bad.
I mean that is about upper middle in the Big 10, lower middle in the SEC, lower tier but not worst in the ACC, and lower tier but not worst in the Pac 12.

They aren't good but I think you are underestimating how good they are. I also don't think you are accounting for their young guys to maybe just get it tonight.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
An ISU win tonight and 1 more conference road win would give ISU a winning record in Conference Road games, a feat last accomplished in 00-01.

Last edited:
Reactions: tejasclone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
My prediction of a loss of every road game is not a decision by default. It's a prediction based on what I think will happen based on respect to the teams we play. My respect may be over-inflated but it's still there. If Texas had some injuries I would change my prediction. We are arguing about predictions so I feel silly.
I'm not intending to argue as much as just figure out people's reasoning, tbh.

And while predicting us to lose every road game does show respect for our opponents, doesn't it then show a slight lack of respect to our own team? I mean, they handled Texas in Ames, and have beaten better teams than Texas on the road.

Whatever, is what it is. Let's all just hope my prediction is the correct one :D

Aug 26, 2014
The team is finding it's groove now. We bury Texas by 15. 80-65 Clones.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I kinda like having Matt Thomas as an X-factor. No one knows whether he will be able to contribute or not, but Texas has to prepare for him nonetheless. For instance, he could not start, but come in and hit 5 threes in the second half. I don't think Texas is going to be able to prepare for very many variables.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Anyone know if Tevin Mack will be back for this game? The clone in me just assumes that he will make his return tonight against us and go off. I like our chances a little bit better without him playing

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Cyclones win if they have their heads screwed on right and not thinking they just have to show up (like they have done many times in the past)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Anyone know if Tevin Mack will be back for this game? The clone in me just assumes that he will make his return tonight against us and go off. I like our chances a little bit better without him playing

No idea, but it seems like an inordinate number of suspended or injured players make their return against us. We beat them with him playing in Ames, so whatever.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

I thought Smart said he probably does not return this season, have not seen anything to suggest otherwise, but I guess will see

This article is from Feb 3rd, 2/3rds of the way down they sure give the impression the kid is not coming back
https://www.hookem.com/story/halfwa...whats-not-texas-men-hit-midpoint-big-12-play/

Last edited:

cypack747

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2013
1) I was being silly about the 18 threes.
2) I didn't say the game wasn't winnable.
3) We could have a letdown after the big win.
4) It's a road game.
5) We could ride a tidal wave of positive energy from our win and win easily.
6) We could win just because we are better. We ARE better.
7) I have and will not predict a road win in this year's Big 12 no matter who we play. That doesn't mean I wouldn't expect to win some along the way. I just don't have a feel for which one it will be. I predicted losses to OU and OSU so far and it took a miracle to beat crappy OU.
8) I never watch road games live but I will tonight.

Sounds like this is by choice and not necessity? I would love to hear your reasoning, as I sometimes think I would enjoy the season much more if I didn't live and die on every possession. I take the losses much better if I'm not able to watch, but if they win and I missed it all I want to do is find the first replay of the game I can find.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron