Principal Financial-Remote work

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I've seen it phrased - to me - as "well it's not just about the money"
Bro, I'm not here everyday just because I love the tepid coffee and Excel spreadsheets that much.
To be fair it isn't all about the money but that is certainly a huge factor in people's decisions. Justifying lower pay because people like each other is definitely bull **** though.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
It mystifies me that execs still have this kind of attitude that is so dismissive and attempts to invalidate what - based on the engagement numbers you shared alone - are probably widespread sentiments. At least give it lip service. 'We are constantly evaluating the effectiveness and impact of our current hybrid system. We have no immediate plans to alter, but are always open to feedback on everyone's experience.
"We believe we are very competitive when it comes to pay/benefits and are always working with our partners to identify ways to further improve the offerings to our employees."
I suppose the answer given was somewhere between my blunt interpretation and your "lip service" version. I do recall the exact phrase (regarding the RTW) that it is "still absolutely the right thing." It was very clear that it's not open for debate.

As for the compensation part, it just really had the vibe of "no, we pay fair!!! Look! Here's a man in a sweater to prove it!" And then man in a sweater tells about the great improvements coming to a web site that tells you how good your total compensation package is.

My recommendation is that as soon as your company says they are going public, find a different job. The day your company goes public, things will only get worse. I can only think of one thing that is better since the company has went public and that's the day care. I'm guessing the day care also gets removed in the future when a certain persons grandkids stop going there.
Well, since we went public in 2001, well before I started .... guess I missed that boat!

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I suppose the answer given was somewhere between my blunt interpretation and your "lip service" version. I do recall the exact phrase (regarding the RTW) that it is "still absolutely the right thing." It was very clear that it's not open for debate.

As for the compensation part, it just really had the vibe of "no, we pay fair!!! Look! Here's a man in a sweater to prove it!" And then man in a sweater tells about the great improvements coming to a web site that tells you how good your total compensation package is.

Well, since we went public in 2001, well before I started .... guess I missed that boat!

“Total compensation” is right up there with salary MRV bands for best/worst HR fantasies. Healthcare cost/coverage really can make a difference, but I’m guessing there’s not a big variance within the industry.

From the outside… the actions you’re describing sound a lot like like what I would do if I was trying to reduce my workforce without announcing layoffs/paying severance.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

To bad no one had the balls to ask him about his 186:1 pay ratio. I have no problem CEOs making money but it is so out of whack.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hold off judgement until you get to see the new web page that shows you how great you have it/

BTW, I'm not kidding. That was the answer from HR.

67d8bead-87cb-4043-a5e8-2005c99dfc9c_text.gif

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
“Total compensation” is right up there with salary MRV bands for best/worst HR fantasies. Healthcare cost/coverage really can make a difference, but I’m guessing there’s not a big variance within the industry.

From the outside… the actions you’re describing sound a lot like like what I would do if I was trying to reduce my workforce without announcing layoffs/paying severance.

I swear that's what most of these rtos are. RIF without the paperwork.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Yesterday there was a "town hall" with the Principal CEO and other execs.

Someone had the courage to ask (props to that employee) about lower engagement & job satisfaction scores (something like a 9% across the board drop), in the context of pay & the return to office mandate.

My take on the answers from the CEO (and this is just my impression):
1. He thinks the 3-days in office mandate is still correct despite massive backlash. "Too bad, deal with it." (Said in a very corporate way)
2. He thinks our pay is fair. "Don't like it? Well, either suck it up or get a new job." (Also said in a very corporate way.)

My take on the 2nd point ... I don't believe it. Our benefits aren't "top tier" anymore (despite what is said), they are average. And I can't speak for all areas, but the feeling is that something is off with the metrics when we keep losing our best and brightest to other companies.

Just my 2 cents.
sounds on brand. Any CEO or exec that gives a ****** answer like that one, you should run away from. Everyone needs a job but as soon as another option appears, take it

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Free Coffee! I feel like attitudes are changing/
I worked for a large corporation in my early career. They did the standard company-wide survey each year. One year we had a new VP and he had kuerigs installed the week before the survey went live (before this we had to pay for coffee from the lobby cafe). There were several critical comments in the survey stating "you're just trying to buy good reviews by finally putting in a coffee machine." That VP never stopped b*tching about it to anyone and everyone. "I get everyone a coffee machine and all I get are complaints!"

Spoiler alert: morale did not improve based on the survey.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I worked for a large corporation in my early career. They did the standard company-wide survey each year. One year we had a new VP and he had kuerigs installed the week before the survey went live (before this we had to pay for coffee from the lobby cafe). There were several critical comments in the survey stating "you're just trying to buy good reviews by finally putting in a coffee machine." That VP never stopped b*tching about it to anyone and everyone. "I get everyone a coffee machine and all I get are complaints!"

Spoiler alert: morale did not improve based on the survey.

I'm all for taking the temperature of the employees, but management also knows it's impossible to be everything to everyone.

We put on a very big training each year. Presentations are basically graded by the audience. Well best of luck if lunch isn't up to their standard or the smoking lounge is too far away for their taste. Blast the entire event because they can't sneak in an American Spirit fast enough.

So that VP.....get the **** over it

Reactions: throwittoblythe

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Seems very environmentaly unfriendly and is a terrible machine choice with each single use plastic pod.
It probably took 14 HR EE's to decide if the environmental impact could be offset by the social impact of supporting a local minority owned business and how that would impact the ESG score . I'm only kind of kidding,

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron