Prohm Contract Extended

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
$2M a year is still too low to me. If he gets us back to the NCAA tournament next season, he needs to be flirting with $3M a year.

I think it's more important if Prohm thinks it's too low, and I don't think he does.

I get the feeling that Prohm isn't worried about money or where he falls on the list of highest paid coaches. I think he cares about coaching. He knows if he takes care of the coaching part the money will come.

He's also a strong family man and I think it's important for him to be in an environment that is good for his family and I think he sees Ames as being just that...I don't think he's lying when he talks up how much he loves the fanbase and the community.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think it's more important if Prohm thinks it's too low, and I don't think he does.

I get the feeling that Prohm isn't worried about money or where he falls on the list of highest paid coaches. I think he cares about coaching. He knows if he takes care of the coaching part the money will come.

He's also a strong family man and I think it's important for him to be in an environment that is good for his family and I think he sees Ames as being just that...I don't think he's lying when he talks up how much he loves the fanbase and the community.

I agree with all of that. I would also say, though, that you don't want to him a reason to talk to anyone and you don't ever want him to feel like he's not appreciated. He understands he's not going to see 5M here but if he has 5 years of success and look up at 6 guys in the conference making more with only 2 of them being equal in their accomplishments, it gives someone a reason to come in and talk to him.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I disagree. You can't compare today's landscape to when those guys got their start. If you are a P5 school, you are sitting in a really good spot financially and if you slow play a deserving coach you end up in the same position as Okie State. As my old pal Jack Burton once said "money talks and bull **** walks"

Its fair to disagree. But I don't think a 33% raise to a coach going into his 3rd year at a program is "slow playing" as you call it.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I agree with all of that. I would also say, though, that you don't want to him a reason to talk to anyone and you don't ever want him to feel like he's not appreciated. He understands he's not going to see 5M here but if he has 5 years of success and look up at 6 guys in the conference making more with only 2 of them being equal in their accomplishments, it gives someone a reason to come in and talk to him.

I agree.

But I also get the feeling that Prohm is a pretty humble person and doesn't have the ego that a lot of coaches do and it would take a serious slap in the face to make him feel as if he wasn't appreciated.

I could be wrong though since I don't really know him...maybe I should send him some LinkedIn or FB requests so we can be BFFs.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I love how JP trolls the hell out of KU fans

"Coach Prohm has led our program to a Big 12 Championship and back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances while also representing our institution and athletics department in a first-class manner, both on and off the court," Pollard said. "His values and approach to coaching are a perfect fit for our institution and fan base."

I'm sure KU fans are pulling the plug on all their Elite 8 plans in the wake of JP's comments

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good news. Prohm could have really played hardball on this. The fact that he didn't says a lot about him.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I disagree. You can't compare today's landscape to when those guys got their start. If you are a P5 school, you are sitting in a really good spot financially and if you slow play a deserving coach you end up in the same position as Okie State. As my old pal Jack Burton once said "money talks and bull **** walks"
Pokes were a pretty extreme case, though. Money was clearly not the only problem that Underwood had with the school.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
$2M a year is still too low to me. If he gets us back to the NCAA tournament next season, he needs to be flirting with $3M a year.

I am so glad you are not in charge. $2 million is very good money. Prohm has more success then we likely extend and moderate raises will be given. Getting us back to the Tourney is not justification for $3 million per year.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think this is a good start. If the next couple years keep going like we hope, the AD can always bump him some more.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I am so glad you are not in charge. $2 million is very good money. Prohm has more success then we likely extend and moderate raises will be given. Getting us back to the Tourney is not justification for $3 million per year.

Why don't you just say "I don't get how this works." It'd be easier for everyone.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I'm lazy. Can somebody please list the ten B12 Coaches with their salaries listed in order?

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
No it's not. If he's comfortable with $2M then that's what it should. Those peers may have much more pressure to be successful and have a shorter leash. Overpay him and the expectations may become inflated and the seat may get hotter faster.

This comment leads me to believe you don't have experience as a hiring manager or understand labor economics. Also, I don't think anyone in the Big 12 has a program with more expectations than Steve Prohm except Bill Self. Attendance proves it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It's also irrelevant. I'm fine with the 2M number but if we make the tournament next year, it's time to recognize this guy is real and it's time to pay.

We are paying. And keep in mind that the assistants need to be paid as well. Bonus for winning Big 12 Tourney was 8 weeks pay for each assistant I believe. They got another 2 weeks for getting to Tourney and another week for Top 32 I believe. So each assistant got close to $50,000 each in bonus money.

Pretty silly to imply that $2 million per year is horse **** compensation.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
This comment leads me to believe you don't have experience as a hiring manager or understand labor economics. Also, I don't think anyone in the Big 12 has a program with more expectations than Steve Prohm except Bill Self. Attendance proves it.
Are we just going to ignore the fact that Prohm was called earlier this week by another P5 school, which he turned down without hesistation, followed by signing this extension?

It's pretty evident to me that he's happy.