Prohm Contract Extended

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Where does it say he gets $2 mil? I only see extension. Please direct me.
"Prohm's deal was extended one year (to June 30, 2022) and his total compensation was increased to $2 million annually. All other contract terms remain unchanged."

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
C7soj2hVMAAzN-r.jpg

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
$2M a year is still too low to me. If he gets us back to the NCAA tournament next season, he needs to be flirting with $3M a year.

I'm fine with it. Next year is going to be the real test. He did a good job coaching this year, imo, but still, he was gifted one of the most prolific senior classes in ISU history. Next year will be the real test. If he makes the NCAA next year, then for sure he deserves another bump. I'm all for seeing how he does with his recruits before we pull another Paul Rhoads.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
$2M a year is still too low to me. If he gets us back to the NCAA tournament next season, he needs to be flirting with $3M a year.

Patience. You have coaches like veteran highly successful Self, Kruger, Huggins, Drew, Dixon, etc. As much as I always want to keep a successful coach, they do have to 'gradually' earn their stripes, don't they? I think the incentives and a raise to $2M is about right for now.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I think it's just right. It's just expensive enough for other schools to be put off to have to pay the buyout, without breaking our own banks. It seems perfectly fair to me. It'll be easy to revisit again around 2020ish to make further adjustments. We have plenty of time; if we keep seeing results, we will keep paying for them.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
You have to realize he went from like $500k at Murray State to $2M at ISU. That's a massive pay raise in just two years.

That's irrelevant, though. What is relevant is how he's preformed compared to his peers in the Big 12 and what his salary looks like compared to them.

I would guess that this contract is structured like Hoiberg's was in that it steps up every year so that the average is 2 mill per year but by the end he would be making more. If he gets the team back to the tournament next year, give them man 3 mil.

You're probably right. I just fear losing a very good coach because of money.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
To those saying Prohm should be making more than 2mil a year, I agree, but Fred was making 2.6mil a year. Just give it time.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Just a reminder for fans to 'keep things in perspective'. Thad Matta is on that list and yet has struggled to get his team rebuilt back to NCAA tournament form. We have to stay realistic and patient with next year's team. (Unless we get 3 big time grad transfer/jucos, then all hail to the wind!-haha)

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
That's irrelevant, though. What is relevant is how he's preformed compared to his peers in the Big 12 and what his salary looks like compared to them.

No it's not. If he's comfortable with $2M then that's what it should. Those peers may have much more pressure to be successful and have a shorter leash. Overpay him and the expectations may become inflated and the seat may get hotter faster.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Patience. You have coaches like veteran highly successful Self, Kruger, Huggins, Drew, Dixon, etc. As much as I always want to keep a successful coach, they do have to 'gradually' earn their stripes, don't they? I think the incentives and a raise to $2M is about right for now.

I disagree. You can't compare today's landscape to when those guys got their start. If you are a P5 school, you are sitting in a really good spot financially and if you slow play a deserving coach you end up in the same position as Okie State. As my old pal Jack Burton once said "money talks and bull **** walks"

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Congrats to both coaches on the extensions...gives added stability when they head out on the recruiting trips. Hard to recruit if the kid thinks there might be a coaching change mid-ways through their college careers.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
33% raise. I guarantee Prohm is very happy with this. I have more respect for Prohm as a person than any coach in any sport Iowa State has had (in my 31 year lifetime). Campbell is right up there, too. A couple of great representatives of Iowa State (and very good coaches, too)!