Prohm Contract Extended

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
See this is where our idiot fans are idiots. We have no idea what schools would or would not want Prohm. We also don't know what he and his family think is a better program than Iowa State. His wife is southern. Iowa State has NEVER done well with southern wives. They always want out. Prom has also been very outspoken about how hard it has been to follow a legend here. Our idiot fans assume that Iowa State is doing our coaches some huge favor. We aren't.

I personally never understood why Holberg wanted to go work for a slimy ******* in Gar Forman and go to a place that would obviously never like him, but I was told over and over again that it was the life changing money and that it was his one true dream in life to go. So just because you can't understand why Prohm would leave for a job you consider to be below Iowa State doesn't mean it couldn't have happened.

Also, why do you assume we would have coaches lining up to coach at Iowa State for $1.5 million a year (our starting salary)?

This whole discussion is academic for at least a year since he signed the contract, but the idiotic comments are alarming.

I assume after reading this you think I am an idiot. That is your prerogative.

You are right we don't know what CSP thinks, how his wife thinks, how he feels about the job. Not that I ever talked about how I thought CSP felt or what his wife wants but whatever.

But we do know a few things at this time. Some coaches salaries are crazy right now, ISU has had a pretty good half decade under it's belt, ISU has very good fan support and by an large has a pretty smart athletic director. So by getting CSP to sign a 1 year extension with an average salary of $2m makes me feel pretty good about the program. All I was trying to point out is that the sky isn't falling if CSP isn't getting paid $3m a year.

As far as how do I know there are coaches that will come to ISU. Because there are always coaches that are going to want a crack at the P5 that currently aren't. Would every coach come to ISU, no, but a lot would. It isn't a horrible job, it is a pretty good place right now and ultimately I trust the guy steering the AD.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
You act like JP is some coach hiring and contract writing magician. He hasn't had a good contract yet. Rhoads' was too long, McDs was too long, Fred's was so cheap he went to talk to Minnesota. I like JP and most of the things he's done here but let's not act like we are talking about the guru of contracts.
I'm not saying that Prohm is equal to Rhoads, they're not. But Prohm's success has many parallels to what Rhoads did. Why should we give him a ton of money without proving that he is worth it? Again, it's two very different situations but it seems like Pollard is learning from his mistakes. I'm good with this extension knowing that good results will be matched with more raises.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Prohm was contacted by LSU. I wonder how many, if any, other schools contacted him. Is he required by NCAA rules or by contract to disclose schools that contact him? Just wondering.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
You don't get that kind of time. These things happen in a matter of days and weeks. Of course he's happy. He'd probably be "happy" at 1M. That doesn't mean we should be paying him and that doesn't mean it can't get better, especially for a guy who's not at home and has family elsewhere. Good grief guys, Minnesota had serious conversations with Fred Hoiberg because of this type of stuff and we want to continue to do the same ****.

The following pretty much answers the Prohm "happy factor" debate. I'll even throw the CF online psychics a bone on this one. Looks like ISU is set for the next 4 or 5 years. That should be a relief for all.

http://www.amestrib.com/sports/2017...and-well-go-from-there-i-just-like-being-here

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The following pretty much answers the Prohm "happy factor" debate. I'll even throw the CF online psychics a bone on this one. Looks like ISU is set for the next 4 or 5 years. That should be a relief for all.

http://www.amestrib.com/sports/2017...and-well-go-from-there-i-just-like-being-here

If my boss asked if I was looking for jobs closer to home or better paying I'd say the same thing: "I'm happy here". What is he going to say?

Only CF turns a GOOD thing into a bad thing. You can tell how much we've been bitten before.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Oh ****, forgot about him. Ok, so 4 total and one has come with the current team in their current conference while another has been with their current team.

Huggins has 2. Krueger has 2. Smart has 1. Self has 2.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Hopefully when Prohm wins next year and he has ADs throwing serious raises at him this modest increase isn't a hindrance.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I am so glad you are not in charge. $2 million is very good money. Prohm has more success then we likely extend and moderate raises will be given. Getting us back to the Tourney is not justification for $3 million per year.

I'll give you credit Stormin.
In the face of the "Illinois and Mizzou new market value" folks, the "replacement hire value" crowd, and the "middle of the Big 12" guys, you called it. I thought it would be a higher number, but at the end of the day it was up to JP.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Since when is an approximate 30% raise considered modest?
Since the fact he's still underpaid.

JP is taking a risk on this one. The money is there, but maybe he wanted to keep MBB at the bottom of the Big 12 another year so that we'll have enough to waste on T&F, wrestling, WBB, etc. Hopefully Prohm makes this all for not and signs an appropriate contract after leading us #7.

This alludes to JP not having enough confidence in Prohm's future success at ISU or thinking saving $500k is worth the risk of getting Underwooded next year.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
True, but it does mean that he is very unlikely to leave ISU this year. I wouldn't be surprised there will be raise in the by out included with the raise. Let's not stress over the amount it is appropriate and deserved for his success to date. There is always room for Pollard to give another raise next year with similar success.
Prohm is happy with his deserved bump Let's remember Prohm hasn't shown any indication he is looking to leave or is dissatisfied with his current contract or AD. Prohm's appears to be loyal guy and I expect him to be coaching at ISU for the foreseeable future.

CSP and JP have agreed on a compensation package that both parties seem happy with at this time. CSP seems generally happy, the fan base (other than a few pooooops in the punch bowl) are happy, and we've shown, and will continue to show, our appreciation for Cyclone family members.

I think the **** measuring by posters over $$s is silly as the main goal was to pay the man and reward him for his accomplishments and set the stage for future success.

7-ish by the way. On a REALLY good day.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'll give you credit Stormin.
In the face of the "Illinois and Mizzou new market value" folks, the "replacement hire value" crowd, and the "middle of the Big 12" guys, you called it. I thought it would be a higher number, but at the end of the day it was up to JP.

Didn't he want no raise and an extension of 1 year? He called many things and seems to be claiming both sides of the coin as well as the rim part.

We paid the man - all parties are currently happy.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
If Prohm had a bigger ego, I might be a bit more concerned about him being 8 out of 10 in the conference. $2 million/year goes a long way in Ames; it's not like he's in LA or DC

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Smart move to grant this extension for recruiting purposes. Players have to know their coach will be there in four years. I hope this helps lock down some athletic wing players to fill the current scholly voids.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Reactions: MeowingCows

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Weber has one as well with Self's players in 2004-2005. Not a popular opinion but Prohm is at best the 6th best coach in the conference. I have Self (duh), Huggins (duh), Dixon, Kruger, and Drew ahead of him. Other fans would make arguments for the others I didn't mention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Weber_(basketball)
He's the 6th most accomplished perhaps. Is that the same as the 6th best? Even more, does that ranking really determine pay at ISU?

Nothing is certain, but I'd imagine ISU would be spending more than $2 million to not lose a beat if Prohm were to leave for a better offer than $2 for 5.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron