Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Gophers just blasted #17 Michigan State by 25 after beat Iowa Friday. On bit of a roll right now. Might have to make a point of tuning them in more often. Badgers next.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
My aunt's boyfriend always brings over a bottle of something. This year was Maker's Mark. Good stuff but I can't drink that after eating a bunch of Thanksgiving and Christmas food plus.
That's what my brother got me. I feel guilty going through it so fast, but its break so I figure **** it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Never seen Schindler's List. For hard-boiled, I personally bring my water to (almost) a boil, put the eggs in, let boil for 4-5 minutes and let stand until cool. Supposedly putting them in hot water, rather than heating with the eggs in, helps separate the abumen(?) from the egg for easier peeling (according to Alton Brown).
I'm going to have to try that the next time I boil eggs.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Snow plow has now went up and down our street four times. The city guy is drinking buddies with our neighbor now. Amazing that we could get a foot snow and four foot drifts out here and not get one pass. Now the head guy gets drunk with the neighbors routinely and the streets get plowed when we get maybe an inch.

Well that just proves the old adage it's not what you know it's who you know.

Reactions: oldman

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I didnt mind our last two head guys. Didn’t think they had a sense of logic but were decent people. This new one is a continual drunk guy. We know his ex wife well and she talks about how he would get drunk and beat her and throw her down the steps. Even choked her out once, but he is “local” and the other inbreds like him so he got the job and first thing he did was fix his parents sidewalk, cut down and trim trees for them and fix the water situation in front of her house. While using néw venders who surprisingly are related to him. Then you listen to the city council complain about the high cost of the projects that don’t require a bid since they can be classified as urgent type things. They still won’t confront him though.

Sounds like you need to run for city council ;) :jimlad: .

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The forecast just keeps sliding down hill. Will start tomorrow and see how far I get, if it gets too bad I'll just call it a day go back to the hotel and wait for it to blow over and start again when the weather has improved.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My aunt's boyfriend always brings over a bottle of something. This year was Maker's Mark. Good stuff but I can't drink that after eating a bunch of Thanksgiving and Christmas food.

Makers Mark has one hell of a great tour. I highly highly suggest it if you are in the area.

Jim Beam also has a great one.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It's already snowing here. Fortunately I have no reason to leave the house.
Broke down and got an actual haircut yesterday. I might look halfway civilized

• Optimistic
Reactions: oldman

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So, this is good news...? Other than the gluten-filled delights.

Yes and no. My pulmonologist (she is the bomb, BTW) is trying to discover the cause of the scarring in my lungs. I get the feeling she won't rest until she does. The GF diet may help, so we'll see what she says.

The good news is that the medications I've been on seem to have slowed the scarring quite a bit.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Wonder what the financial guy will say.

Do they provide any information that I can't find online? With trade costs being non-existent I've never seen the need for a financial guy.

Maybe I'm missing out
Revisiting this, I am very happy with the decision to work with a financial advisor. He got me organized, something I knew I needed to do but always put it off. He wouldn't let me, he said he would hound me until I did. Got my old stagnant IRA's all transferred over to this new account.
Invested some money I had from my mother's passing. Started a Roth which I have him take enough money from my bank to fully fund it on the first business day of the year.
I also got my old HSA's transferred into my current HSA and he reviewed the HSA investment options and gave me his recommendations.

I feel much better about my financial future than I did 12 months ago.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Revisiting this, I am very happy with the decision to work with a financial advisor. He got me organized, something I knew I needed to do but always put it off. He wouldn't let me, he said he would hound me until I did. Got my old stagnant IRA's all transferred over to this new account.
Invested some money I had from my mother's passing. Started a Roth which I have him take enough money from my bank to fully fund it on the first business day of the year.
I also got my old HSA's transferred into my current HSA and he reviewed the HSA investment options and gave me his recommendations.

Sometimes paying a little will pay you more. I know when I pay to use a workout facility or to diet I’m more serious because I don’t want to waste the money. Sounds like he got you in a good place and aimed in a solid direction.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

I need to roll mine over too, thanks for the reminder.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yes and no. My pulmonologist (she is the bomb, BTW) is trying to discover the cause of the scarring in my lungs. I get the feeling she won't rest until she does. The GF diet may help, so we'll see what she says.

The good news is that the medications I've been on seem to have slowed the scarring quite a bit.
Might be a dumb question but does scarring occur without inhaling some sort of irritant over the course of time? Anyway I'm glad to hear the meds are helping things and you have a good doctor.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Might be a dumb question but does scarring occur without inhaling some sort of irritant over the course of time? Anyway I'm glad to hear the meds are helping things and you have a good doctor.
Yes it can. My sisters was scarred due to fluid buildup from cancer.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Talking with a pro is what convinced us we could retire early without losing either our house or our insurance coverage (our two biggest expenses when we retired early - we were concerned we would not be able to cover both).

I recommend it to anyone at any stage of life, but DEFINITELY at 55+...at least a one or two time conversation...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Talking with a pro is what convinced us we could retire early without losing either our house or our insurance coverage (our two biggest expenses when we retired early - we were concerned we would not be able to cover both).

I recommend it to anyone at any stage of life, but DEFINITELY at 55+...at least a one or two time conversation...
Wife can draw a pension at 56 and she has made it well known she is done then. She said she won’t sub teach any. Doesn’t know what she would like to do for a part time job, which leads me to believe it will end up being just driving me crazy. Our youngest will have one year of college in so between that and her health insurance, I’m not sure what I’m going to figure out. Started buying lotto tickets, that’s a plan right?

Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron