Random Thoughts 18: The Year of Fire

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Had a weird experiencewith venmo. I use it to pay my rent, which I paid on Friday, instant pay with my debit card, not a bank transfer. Then on Monday I had a pending charge for the same amount, after the first payment posted, so I was negative for 2 days and couldn't use my card until like right now. Of course I was out of cash too, which I usually have on me. Never had this happen before.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Sun Chips, ranked:

1.Garden Salsa

2.Chili Lime

3.Harvest Cheddar

4.French Onion
5.Original Flavor

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Had a weird experiencewith venmo. I use it to pay my rent, which I paid on Friday, instant pay with my debit card, not a bank transfer. Then on Monday I had a pending charge for the same amount, after the first payment posted, so I was negative for 2 days and couldn't use my card until like right now. Of course I was out of cash too, which I usually have on me. Never had this happen before.
Hotels and gas stations usually warn you against using debit cards because the financial institution can put a hold of some sort on it until the transaction clears. I'd never use a debit card for something really important like that.
Edit to update that even with one of my credit cards, a pending charge occasionally shows even after the original has gone through. It eventually drops off, but can be heart-stopping if I wasn't prepared for that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Hotels and gas stations usually warn you against using debit cards because the financial institution can put a hold of some sort on it until the transaction clears. I'd never use a debit card for something really important like that.
Edit to update that even with one of my credit cards, a pending charge occasionally shows even after the original has gone through. It eventually drops off, but can be heart-stopping if I wasn't prepared for that.

I love heart-stopping financial news.
My favorite twist this year has been the realization that scheduled payment dates don't mean the date that I entered or the companies and I agreed upon. Instead, it often means any date 5-7 days earlier than that, because why not.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
From my perpetual desk calendar today: If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names. - Elbert Hubbard.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Went to a neighbors place the other day. He had about 15 cases of beer BY his fridge. Dude must like to hang in his shed.

Reactions: NWICY

Help Support Us

Become a patron