RECRUITING: Iowa State earns first 2025 commitment from Top 150 Ann Arbor PG Macari Moore

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
And as has been discussed before, I think the 50-175 range is the sweet spot. Getting guys like Biliew is great, but it's unlikely that you get a guy like that to have sustained success in college.

TJ at this point has earned full trust in recruiting/transfers. Who has he "missed" on? I can't think of anyone yet that was a complete bust.

I would say between 31-150 is the sweet spot. I had to include Milan

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I thought I remember Pierce being quoted as saying the staff wanted to use him as a PG and that's why he committed!.
That may be true. I just remember the CW disciples getting irrationally upset when people challenged the idea that a kid this size was coming in to play PG.

Reactions: Drew0311

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
On Pierce, here's a link that I posted before:

In this game, starting at the timestamp, Pierce has assists on 3 straight possessions. Nothing spectacular in those 3 plays, but point guards have to make the easy plays when they're there, too. If I remember right, the reason I went out of my way to find that game tape was because he had a double-double with points and assists or something like that.

I think he has the ball handling and playmaking abilities to be a PG, my impression is just that on his HS team, he didn't play there much because they've had possible college recruits who were the size such that they could really only play PG. Plus, it might be a bit of what happens here when people see his size and strength and assume he can't be a PG.

With both Pierce and Moore, I think that sets up the PG position well on a post-Lipsey team.

Reactions: crawfy54

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If he can sometimes be that and let our PG be off the ball, and then also guard 1-3 like it looks like he could (maybe 1-4 in a pinch), that's all we need. Might also develop the skills to be on the ball full time in a year or two.

I have no doubt he will be able to guard 2-3 maybe 4 given time. But give Moore a year under Lipsey and he's going to be tough to beat out. I just feel like with Pierce, you give him two years in the weightroom and he's going to look just like Deonte Burton. Just a matchup nightmare at the 3 or 4.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I have no doubt he will be able to guard 2-3 maybe 4 given time. But give Moore a year under Lipsey and he's going to be tough to beat out. I just feel like with Pierce, you give him two years in the weightroom and he's going to look just like Deonte Burton. Just a matchup nightmare at the 3 or 4.
When you look at the future backcourt it's a lot like the current.
Moore, Pierce, Indrusitis, Hamilton and hopefully Batemon.

Reactions: Drew0311

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We've had a few from Michigan that turned out OK. Also, who wouldn't want to to follow in the footsteps of Monte, Haliburton, and Lipsey? Dudes are taking notice.

We have a nice pedigree of PGs going on.

Diante Garrett
Korie Lucious
DeAndre Kane
Monté Morris
Nick Weiler-Babb
Tyrese Haliburton
Tamin Lipsey

All those guys either were in the NBA or have had solid overseas careers.

I'm sure Tamin will do great in Europe even if he never makes it to the NBA.

Reactions: Jayshellberg

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
We've had a few from Michigan that turned out OK. Also, who wouldn't want to to follow in the footsteps of Monte, Haliburton, and Lipsey? Dudes are taking notice.
Agree, but somebody need to tell FF Hornacek was a 2 guard.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
That may be true. I just remember the CW disciples getting irrationally upset when people challenged the idea that a kid this size was coming in to play PG.
Just roll with 3 like we do now. In today's game a good guard better be a good combo. Do about everything well. Like we have now with Lipsey, Gilbert, and Jones. I like Lipsey better than the other 2, but he's special. Still doesn't bother me to see the other 2 at point or Lipsey to start popping 3's. Ball movement has been incredible the last few games. Another year dialing it in together could make for our best ever. Throw the 3 new guards into the rotation and we'll be stacked. Anyone heard anything on Hamilton's development?

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Board can be nauseating. CW said TJ brought him in as a PG. No reason not to believe, he's got a pretty good connection. I think the best thing is if it doesn't work, oh well he's 6'5 with a big xii body. Option 2.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
And as has been discussed before, I think the 50-175 range is the sweet spot. Getting guys like Biliew is great, but it's unlikely that you get a guy like that to have sustained success in college.

TJ at this point has earned full trust in recruiting/transfers. Who has he "missed" on? I can't think of anyone yet that was a complete bust.
Robert freaking Jones. That's all you should have to show these kids about what TJ can do for you.

Reactions: nrg4isu

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Board can be nauseating. CW said TJ brought him in as a PG. No reason not to believe, he's got a pretty good connection. I think the best thing is if it doesn't work, oh well he's 6'5 with a big xii body. Option 2.

Also, I feel like we have 2 PG's in this years starting lineup with Lipsey and Gilbert. So having Moore and Pierce in the same starting lineup doesn't seem like much of a stretch. Our offense is predicated on guys being able to move the ball and breakdown their defender off the dribble. PG skills.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
A guy that I grew up with is an assistant coach in the CIML. He ended up sitting by me at the BYU game. I asked him what he thought about Stinson. He said he was a great kid and a good basketball player, but probably mid major. Very athletic but not a very good shooter according to him.
Lipsey wasn't a great shooter until this year after working on it all offseason. But seems like the consensus is he's not Big 12 caliber.

• Agree
Reactions: JVAR

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
Tinsley replacement. Sucked. Used Sullivan at the point which was awful. Brought in Tim Barnes the following year. Much better. Morgan was 5-11 and not very talented.
oof. im happy i didnt have to watch those teams