RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly to visit on May 3

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Beverly would be a great addition for 2017. That would give us Young, Lard, Kasongo, and Beverly as post options. Young will get a lot of minutes. The other three will get minutes based on matchups and production. Hopefully Lard's game grows a bunch from game 1 to the end of the year.

I could also see us play some 4 guard lineups with Babb and Lewis or Long on the floor with a post.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Beverley will do exactly what we want/need him to do. He knows he's not being brought in to be the star. He is happy to just have the opportunity to play at a high level, and I get the feeling that he isn't going to just let that opportunity go to waste.

Reactions: rholtgraves

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Beverley will do exactly what we want/need him to do. He knows he's not being brought in to be the star. He is happy to just have the opportunity to play at a high level, and I get the feeling that he isn't going to just let that opportunity go to waste.
Agree. Playing football takes a lot of commitment and hard work, something I hope he brings to the basketball team. His observed lack of quickness may be due to having to put on weight for football. Him getting more of a basketball body should help the quickness factor, though he will never be another Deonte.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If we get out of Beverly what we got out of Bowie, I am very happy.

We could use an experienced body on the team, and he does not tie up a future scholarship that could go to a high school recruit, which Prohm has proven more apt at landing so far.

I do think the management of the rotation should emphasize young guys, though -- might as well invest in freshman and sophomore for the future, if the postseason is beyond reach.

Not saying "tank" -- obviously no point to that in the college game -- but if it comes down to, say, Beverly or Lard, I think you should play the guy with three more years.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Legit what? Rotation guy for a team returning only 12 starts at the position and three players total, sure. If that's your measure of success, drink the Koolaid and you'll be immune to the more discerning opinions.

Fat fingered agree by mistake.

Seriously if you want a coach that settles for players he knows he can get look a hundred miles east on I 80. Wait didn't he just lose his own kid to the baseball program?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There is literally zero downside to taking Beverly. He may or may not take starter minutes next year but I think Lard, Young, and Kasongo will get all the minutes they can handle even with him.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Just listened to an interview podcast with this kid. He sounds very genuine and mature at this point in the 'free-agency period'.... He is a must have.
Seems like a sharp kid. Was an Honor Society member out of HS. He was a 25 and 10 guy his senior year of HS and had some low-to-mid-major offers, but chose to go the football route at a smaller level because he was never able to as a kid (mom wouldn't let him) and wanted to prove he could. I think now that he has gotten back into the basketball grind, and seems completely bought into being the best bball player he can this final year, he is more hungry than ever. I love that type of mentality out of a guy who will probably be coming off of the bench for us. Can never have too many good character/hard working kids in your locker room.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Seems like a sharp kid. Was an Honor Society member out of HS. He was a 25 and 10 guy his senior year of HS and had some low-to-mid-major offers, but chose to go the football route at a smaller level because he was never able to as a kid (mom wouldn't let him) and wanted to prove he could. I think now that he has gotten back into the basketball grind, and seems completely bought into being the best bball player he can this final year, he is more hungry than ever. I love that type of mentality out of a guy who will probably be coming off of the bench for us. Can never have too many good character/hard working kids in your locker room.

If he can be hard-nosed and hungry like Hogue, it's a no-brainer.

Not saying he'll be anywhere near as productive as Dustin, but just having that motor and energy can provide a lot. Especially for a guy off the bench.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Agreed on your points.
From listening to the interview he sounds ready to earn his minutes and great full for the opportunity. I do think he would be a nice get for Prohm (not a must) and would be a fan favorite right away.

Another positive would be a mature player to help the young guys learn how to adjust to the next level and share some tips he learned as he moved up level each time he transferred up. Even if he isn't a vocal leader he could be an example of how to practice and commit to the program.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Agreed on your points.
From listening to the interview he sounds ready to earn his minutes and great full for the opportunity. I do think he would be a nice get for Prohm (not a must) and would be a fan favorite right away.

Another positive would be a mature player to help the young guys learn how to adjust to the next level and share some tips he learned as he moved up level each time he transferred up. Even if he isn't a vocal leader he could be an example of how to practice and commit to the program.
If he can be hard-nosed and hungry like Hogue, it's a no-brainer.

Not saying he'll be anywhere near as productive as Dustin, but just having that motor and energy can provide a lot. Especially for a guy off the bench.
I agree with both of you guys. At this point in the recruitment, I think it is only a positive for this program next year to bring him in. If he was the first/only big guy we contacted when we had an opening, I would've been concerned. But given where we are in the process, and our needs, I am very content with the Beverley addition, and think it could even be a solid addition when all is said and done.

Reactions: isutrevman

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
If we get out of Beverly what we got out of Bowie, I am very happy.

We could use an experienced body on the team, and he does not tie up a future scholarship that could go to a high school recruit, which Prohm has proven more apt at landing so far.

I do think the management of the rotation should emphasize young guys, though -- might as well invest in freshman and sophomore for the future, if the postseason is beyond reach.

Not saying "tank" -- obviously no point to that in the college game -- but if it comes down to, say, Beverly or Lard, I think you should play the guy with three more years.

I am sure coach will reach out to CF for recruiting and rotation advice since he obviously is new to al that. Perhaps he has already called you?

• Dislike
Reactions: ComCY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am sure coach will reach out to CF for recruiting and rotation advice since he obviously is new to al that. Perhaps he has already called you?

I guess none of us should discuss college basketball whatsoever.

I mean, none of know a fraction of what these professional coaches do.

No way this whole exercise could just be about fun/entertainment for Cyclone fans.

/sarcasm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron