RECRUITING: Khaliel Rodgers flips to UNC

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
UNC's use of joke classes to keep players eligible is not in dispute. The fact that the NCAA is limited in being able to punish UNC for this frustrates people. This is a tarnish on UNC's academic reputation and any attempt to rationalize these classes only makes it worse.

My best friend walked on at ISU. He wasn't that book smart and has dyslexia. Tutors wrote every paper he had to write. No joke.

It doesn't bother me one bit as he would be a great hire for any company in his field (and wouldn't ever have to write a paper), but this sort of crap happens at every school.

He transferred to another school after 2 years (D3) and I gave him a full business plan and he turned it in exactly as is. He got a full letter grade better than I did.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My best friend walked on at ISU. He wasn't that book smart and has dyslexia. Tutors wrote every paper he had to write. No joke.

It doesn't bother me one bit as he would be a great hire for any company in his field (and wouldn't ever have to write a paper), but this sort of crap happens at every school.

He transferred to another school after 2 years (D3) and I gave him a full business plan and he turned it in exactly as is. He got a full letter grade better than I did.
So basically what you're saying is, be a business major.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

No, what he's saying is, a lot of these athletes couldn't make it at ISU or any other college for that matter without all the help tutors do for them. Happens everywhere, not just UNC unfortunately.

If you've watched Last Chance U, you'd understand. We have a lot of athletes at ISU with the same intelligence level as some of those players on Last Chance U. And there is no way they would make it at ISU without help.

Reactions: Cyclone.TV

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009

The difference is that the use of tutors to perform work for the athletes, which I'll agree happens a lot, is about how to get the athletes to meet the requirements of the class and doesn't negatively reflect on the academics of the school. UNC had professors involved in dumbing down the class requirements. That does reflect on the academic standards of the school.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
The difference is that the use of tutors to perform work for the athletes, which I'll agree happens a lot, is about how to get the athletes to meet the requirements of the class and doesn't negatively reflect on the academics of the school. UNC had professors involved in dumbing down the class requirements. That does reflect on the academic standards of the school.

Dumbing down a class or having someone do the class for you...

It's the same thing in my book. He didn't have to do much more than go to the tutors office to get grades. If that makes the course better to you, then that's fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Gordilly

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ya it's ok if they aren't smart enough to make it on their own. We will just give them a nice clerk job for life.

And counter to that, its ok that I'm not physically gifted enough to get a sports scholarship. We can just fudge a little bit with some steroids.

Getting help is one thing, people doing your work is cheating. Doesn't matter if you're a low IQ high performing athlete.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Ya it's ok if they aren't smart enough to make it on their own. We will just give them a nice clerk job for life.

And counter to that, its ok that I'm not physically gifted enough to get a sports scholarship. We can just fudge a little bit with some steroids.

Getting help is one thing, people doing your work is cheating. Doesn't matter if you're a low IQ high performing athlete.

Not saying you have to like it, but it happens everywhere.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Most people who get degrees don't even use them. Especially an athlete who wasn't smart enough to get it. You don't just magically get a job in that field because you have a degree in it.

Reactions: Cyclone.TV

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Most people who get degrees don't even use them. Especially an athlete who wasn't smart enough to get it. You don't just magically get a job in that field because you have a degree in it.

Which is why I really don't care. They earned it one way or another.

L

LincolnWay187

Cute. So are you one of the engineers with Aspergers making this comment or just an ahole? I'll take a business major as a teammate over most of them out there....

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Cute. So are you one of the engineers with Aspergers making this comment or just an ahole? I'll take a business major as a teammate over most of them out there....
No just sarcastic. Sorry if I hit a nerve, but I still stand by what I said. There's a large difference in the dedication it takes to get straight A's in engineering than in business.

• Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm really confused as to what all the hate towards UNC is about. Not to mention some cheap blows regarding accused fake classes. As a fan of both, I wanted this kid at Iowa State because he was never going to start at Carolina. Both schools Will be fine in the long run.
Go Heels, Go Clones!
**** North Carolina

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I've graded the work of athletes from nearly every sport at ISU. I can safely say, both for better and for worse, that they did their own work.

The ones that did extremely poorly were probably too lazy even to tell a tutor there was an assignment. The ones that did extremely well would have been offended at the idea.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Dyslexia is a learning disability, so he should have gotten extra help.

Now if he just gave his stuff to a tutor on the way to the bars, well that is not right either.

IbSvU

Feb 6, 2012
No just sarcastic. Sorry if I hit a nerve, but I still stand by what I said. There's a large difference in the dedication it takes to get straight A's in engineering than in business.

Do you want a cookie? Does it make one feel more noble since he/she is 'dedicating' more of life to one thing? If one was a business major he/she might know more about some of the opportunity costs that arise from 'dedication' to something. Maybe it's counterproductive. People are different. I, for one, would certainly hate to 'dedicate' myself to engineering.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
Dumbing down a class or having someone do the class for you...

It's the same thing in my book.
He didn't have to do much more than go to the tutors office to get grades. If that makes the course better to you, then that's fine.

And if you want to oversimplify situations, that's fine as well. From the student's viewpoint, there isn't a lot of difference. But there is a big difference from a "who's involved" and from a checks and balances standpoint. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
And if you want to oversimplify situations, that's fine as well. From the student's viewpoint, there isn't a lot of difference. But there is a big difference from a "who's involved" and from a checks and balances standpoint. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Well I'm saying it from the students point of view, but I understand what you are saying as well. All good.